Sponsored

IS $5500 PPF worth it GT350 ????

Suma Performance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Scratch proof is definitely one of the misconceptions. It is essential a layer that repels dirt and grime to make your car easier to maintain.

Wax is traditionally used for this layer, which is a natural ingredient (i.e. Carnauba wax). With advanced technology, new materials invented to provide better results that overcome the shortcoming of traditional wax.

And it gets confusing with different brands, variations and claims...
Sponsored

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, a couple of years ago, I was looking into some of the ceramic products, and nobody could/would give me solid info about the benefits, besides great watershedding capabilities. Someone at the time was making mention that they didn't offer as good of uv protection. Also, a lot of people act like its an armor type protection that stops scratches. It doesn't. And applying it doesn't have the same scratch filling ability as a good wax.
I was speaking of ceramic coatings...not ppf

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I'm scheduled to bring my car in March 20, whick hopefully by then all snow is gone.
They'll start with paint correction of course. Then doing Expel Ultimate PPF on the full front, front edge of roof, rocker panels, and part of rear fenders. They will cut the PPF around my vinyl stripes.
They'll also be replacing a small piece of the stripe on the front bumper which got damaged. Then adding the "Shelby" lettering, and installing SlipLo on spoiler.
Then the whole car gets Expel Fusion Plus ceramic coating, including the wheels and brake calipers.
Whole thing will cost me $5,500. A lot of money, but also a lot of piece of mind for me. I saw just how much debris got kicked up onto the car during the 2 weeks I owned and drove it, before putting it away for winter.

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Anybody got recommendations for a place in the Nashville area? Checked out Auto Armor and they wanted $2k - $3k for paint correction and ceramic (higher amount if I wanted wheel barrels, calipers, and jambs) and $4k for track package Xpel. $7k is more than I'm willing to spend on this - OP's $1375 sounds more like it. They quoted me $500 to remove stripes and $600 to apply. Given Big Worm's $180 install those sound pretty high as well, so it seems they're just high priced.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, a couple of years ago, I was looking into some of the ceramic products, and nobody could/would give me solid info about the benefits, besides great watershedding capabilities. Someone at the time was making mention that they didn't offer as good of uv protection. Also, a lot of people act like its an armor type protection that stops scratches. It doesn't. And applying it doesn't have the same scratch filling ability as a good wax.
Yes, because it is 2-3 Micron deep! That's how thin the ceramic layer is. Despite of what you say, it WILL make the car about 50% more scratch resistant, and small scratches will barely penetrate the ceramic layer, making it much easier to polish out and correct than without it.
I can show you on my car in spring how easy it is to remove a mishap from the bumper treated with cquartz... you can just polish it by hand with a towel and some good polish.
Without ceramic, you WILL need a random sander and some Mequairs 105...

Now will it stop big scratches from penetrating the ceramic layer? no, it won't. If someone wants to key your car, they will...

It also stops the clear coat from getting swirls from washing, as a. the washing process is easier, much more water/dust repellant, and b. the hardness of the ceramic layer will help with not getting the swirls in first place.

I am doing this for years, and I had numerous customers come back for re-coating after one year or two, as they were very pleased with the performance. Just keeps that clear coat in better shape.

Wax? Carnauba is washed out at first automatic wash you go through, with the crappy shampoos they use...

Not trying to convince anyone of anything, just reporting my personal experience.
I use PPF on front of my cars (bumper mostly, lower fender areas, maybe mirrors and headlights) and ceramic everywhere else...

Cheers

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yes, because it is 2-3 Micron deep! That's how thin the ceramic layer is. Despite of what you say, it WILL make the car about 50% more scratch resistant, and small scratches will barely penetrate the ceramic layer, making it much easier to polish out and correct than without it.
I can show you on my car in spring how easy it is to remove a mishap from the bumper treated with cquartz... you can just polish it by hand with a towel and some good polish.
Without ceramic, you WILL need a random sander and some Mequairs 105...

Now will it stop big scratches from penetrating the ceramic layer? no, it won't. If someone wants to key your car, they will...

It also stops the clear coat from getting swirls from washing, as a. the washing process is easier, much more water/dust repellant, and b. the hardness of the ceramic layer will help with not getting the swirls in first place.

I am doing this for years, and I had numerous customers come back for re-coating after one year or two, as they were very pleased with the performance. Just keeps that clear coat in better shape.

Wax? Carnauba is washed out at first automatic wash you go through, with the crappy shampoos they use...

Not trying to convince anyone of anything, just reporting my personal experience.
I use PPF on front of my cars (bumper mostly, lower fender areas, maybe mirrors and headlights) and ceramic everywhere else...

Cheers
My detailer explained ceramic the same way. A little extra protection yes, but for the big stuff you need PPF.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Be very careful about which Ceramic coat you use and who applies it. Some of the bad rap is just bad product applied by sloppy people. Usually the cheaper places :)

Sponsored

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't mean to sound like I'm bad mouthing ceramic. I haven't used it. I own a detail shop and I haven't been able to get a good, true explanation/reason why a customer should pay over $1000 for a "wax job". I have had customers ask me and I don't know enough about it to recommend it over a high quality polywax for about a 1/4 of the cost.
I have applied customers rejuvenater materials over their previously applied ceramic.
Please don't take me as argumentative or waving the wax vs ceramic banner....im stating what I know and what I've been told or not been told. Im totally open to it if it is worth the cost.
Thanks

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I don't mean to sound like I'm bad mouthing ceramic. I haven't used it. I own a detail shop and I haven't been able to get a good, true explanation/reason why a customer should pay over $1000 for a "wax job". I have had customers ask me and I don't know enough about it to recommend it over a high quality polywax for about a 1/4 of the cost.
I have applied customers rejuvenater materials over their previously applied ceramic.
Please don't take me as argumentative or waving the wax vs ceramic banner....im stating what I know and what I've been told or not been told. Im totally open to it if it is worth the cost.
Thanks

Well that's the thing. A proper 2 layer cquartz job should not cost more than 300 bucks in the shop (materials are about 150 ) and take more than 3 - 4 hours, depending on paint quality.. Of course, more prep work for paint in bad shape adds to the cost...
For the DiY enthusiast , a bottle is 75 bucks, and will do 2 good coats on a GT350. All you need for 2 years protection, if you take care of it with Reload from time to time. Competitive products are more or less the same price wise....
cheers

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
A good ceramic coating is worth the money. There are many good coatings, and now the latest is carbon fibre. I had mine done a year ago. It can’t stop chips from trucks, but nothing really can.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
It’s just a GT350, there’s nothing worth doing to that car for $5,500. It’s a track car well... for the most part. I got bored pretty quick with mine, great car to look at in a collection - or if your a car show/lawn chair type.

Suma Performance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
The expensive part is the labor for paint correction. The cost of the ceramic itself is marginal, compared to the labor.

Like @VIPR01 has said, it is not a show car, personally I'd apply the DIY ceramic products that's good enough for 1. Keeping your car glossy/matte and 2. Easier to clean.

In the shop, people are willing spend that kind of money for professional ceramic coating for cars like this. But personally, DIY ceramic is sufficient for most needs.
IMG_5732.JPG
Sponsored