Is 2020 the last year for the GT350

ParkCity06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP LR032, 2020 Raptor
Sorry--for the repeat--meant to post this question here. But is anyone else hearing that 2020 is the end of the line for the GT350?
Sponsored

TYAO=RH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP.
They limited production this year (I believe 2800 total 350’s) but as stated above, nobody knows for sure yet.

Trj3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
That would be nice

Sponsored

OP
OP
ParkCity06

ParkCity06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP LR032, 2020 Raptor
With the way they are depreciating, and with so many on the market, with new ones at, or below MSRP, I guess it wouldn't surprise anyone.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I hope Ford continues making them for a few more years, but they haven't said what they will do. I'm sure it depends on how they are selling, plus some other factors.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I suspect it could be just due to sales and the release of the GT500. We will find out :)

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
I hope not.
I don't foresee any car maker ever making another naturally-aspirated V8 with a manual. So as long as we can keep this kind of car on life support is a good thing for us enthusiasts.

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I hope not.
I don't foresee any car maker ever making another naturally-aspirated V8 with a manual. So as long as we can keep this kind of car on life support is a good thing for us enthusiasts.
I feel the same way. With the Corvette going DCT only it even further limits the option pool.

But it's pretty clear that Ford is starting to hit a wall with sales. I know even with the big discounts, there are lots of 2019's for sale and we are also seeing dealers discount R's which commanded ADM up until very recently. At some point dealers won't want to order GT350's if they only way they can sell them is with big discounts and having them sit for months on end.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
They will probably keep the car going until the next model which won't have a V8 and will be some form of hybrid with a downsized turbocharged V6 or 4 cylinder.

Isn't there a rumour that Ford is dropping the V8 from most of its vehicles in 2024?

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It seems expected. A power add or interior refresh would help. You would think the 2019 changes would increase sales.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
It seems expected. A power add or interior refresh would help. You would think the 2019 changes would increase sales.
Well, the global economy is slowly heading into a recession. We may already be in one and don't yet know it judging by recent economic data in the US, Europe, China and elsewhere despite stock markets continuing to rise (before the fall like last time). Weak Christmas sales in many countries is a strong signal as people simply aren't spending like they used to. Furthermore, the car market is way too overheated. Dealers are handing out cars on 7-8 year loans at a variety of interest rates to anyone with a pulse in order to shift units, and car makers are struggling with guaranteed values at the end of the lease term as too many models flood the market on cheap finance and depreciate hard, hurting the auto company's balance sheet.

The people with these loans are not able to get out from under those loans because there is no positive equity in them to trade the car in and get something like a refreshed 2020 Mustang GT 350. As we know, most people don't have even $400 of spare cash in a month to spend on an emergency so where are they going to find $5,000-10,000 to make whole on their existing auto loan and somehow trade up into a newer car?

The used car investment market has softened tremendously as well and speculators are starting to hurt since they can't shift cars they bought for any profit. The only things still making people money are super exclusive cars like a Pagani Zonda, and that market isn't exactly as liquid as it was 18 months ago either.

Combine the economic slowdown and overheated car market with stricter environmental legislation globally, and it's almost seen as a bad investment by many of the newer generation to buy a gas guzzling V8 compared to a Tesla Model 3 Performance or something at least more efficient than a 5.0L motor.

The next 5 years is going to be very interesting as the world changes.

I'd still go for a GT350 or GT500 if I could. They might be the last of the V8 variety.

Last edited:

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
Well, the global economy is slowly heading into a recession. We may already be in one and don't yet know it judging by recent economic data in the US, Europe, China and elsewhere despite stock markets continuing to rise (before the fall like last time). Weak Christmas sales in many countries is a strong signal as people simply aren't spending like they used to. Furthermore, the car market is way too overheated. Dealers are handing out cars on 7-8 year loans at a variety of interest rates to anyone with a pulse in order to shift units, and car makers are struggling with guaranteed values at the end of the lease term as too many models flood the market on cheap finance and depreciate hard, hurting the auto company's balance sheet.

The people with these loans are not able to get out from under those loans because there is no positive equity in them to trade the car in and get something like a refreshed 2020 Mustang GT 350. As we know, most people don't have even $400 of spare cash in a month to spend on an emergency so where are they going to find $5,000-10,000 to make whole on their existing auto loan and somehow trade up into a newer car?

The used car investment market has softened tremendously as well also and speculators are starting to hurt on anything that isn't super exclusive like a Pagani Zonda, and that market isn't exactly as liquid as it was 18 months ago either.

Combine the economic slowdown and overheated car market with stricter environmental legislation globally, and it's almost seen as a bad investment by many of the newer generation to buy a gas guzzling V8 compared to a Tesla Model 3 Performance or something at least more efficient than a 5.0L motor.

The next 5 years is going to be very interesting as the world changes.

I'd still go for a GT350 or GT500 if I could. They might be the last of the V8 variety.
I love your "analysis" (if you will).
We're saving up to trade my wife's ecoboost in on a GT since it's going to stay her daily, then we're either going to save up for me to buy a dedicated track car, or save up to trade my GT + cash for a 350.
No more car loans for me. I'm done with that shit.
But I just can't stay away from cars. So...I'll just wait until I can pay cash. Maybe in a year or so the 350s will have come down even more.
Sponsored