iPhone Volume Automatically Set to Max via Bluetooth

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
I have my iPhone 7 paired with my car (2017 GT/CS) . For some reason the first time I get into the car and it connects through bluetooth the volume on the iPhone gets set to 100%. I didn't realize it had happened until the day after buying my car when the alarm went off at 100% I work up in a hurry. So far I've tried the following:

1 - Opened volume control on the phone and watched it magically jump from current setting to 100%.
2 - Connected the iPhone to USB cable before plugging before starting the car. When I do this the volume remains set at the previous level.
3 - Tried Google searching but my Google-foo is weak because I can't seem to find the answer. I did see that folks with F-150's are having the same issue though.

Has anyone else had this problem or more importantly know how to fix it? I really don't like my alarm going off at 100% volume.
Sponsored

Ocotillo Boy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Mines opposite. Every time I make or receive a phone call the sync system defaults to volume 14. I can't hear the conversation until volume 25 so I have to manually turn it up every time. Major pain in neck. Can't figure out how to change it

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
My iPhone 7 does the same thing, but it's completely random. It's connected to my watch via bluetooth, but that's all the time. I can wake up in the morning and it's 100%, I can be using it, and I'll randomly see the volume indicator on the screen jump to 100%. I think this is a fairly common issue with iPhones for some time now. When I Google it, seems like many others have had the same problem.

jsn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Mine does is every time. It looks like whenever the phone connects to the car, it maxes out the volume to 100%. Very annoying. It is important to note that this happens only with Sync 3 and the bug is present since V 2.0 and also present in 2.2.

Hope Ford gets this fixed.

OP
OP

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem I have a video of the problem happening so I'm going to try sharing it with Ford and/or Apple and see if one of the two can determine the exact cause.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I had the issue and the only way to solve that is to turn off "Change with Buttons" option in Sounds on the phone.
My 2016 Sync 3 with 1.0 firmware didn't do this.

OP
OP

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Little follow up - I called Ford yesterday and after finishing up with one rep I asked to be transferred to the Sync3 team. I explained the problem and the guy I spoke with knew what I was talking about. He said we could try a couple of things and if it didn't work then I should report the problem to Apple.

First we "rebooted" the radio by holding down the power button and fast forward buttons for about 10 seconds. That didn't fix it. He asked which version of iOS I had on the phone and then said that 10.0 was the last version that seemed to work well so my choices were to live with it until some iOS update resolves it or consider downgrading to iOS 10. I don't think downgrading the phone is an option I want to do so I'll just live with it. I use my phone as my alarm clock so on mornings after I drive the Mustang I really hear the alarm when it goes off.