Intermittent Dead Clutch Pedal

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I have now had my car have the clutch pedal drop to about 1” from the floor twice. Both times at the dealership when they pulled the car up for me to pick up. First time I just pumped it once or twice and it came back to normal. The last time I called the Service Writer over to see it and after checking it he pulled up on it and all was good. Said he would talk to their transmission tech and see if he knows anything.

Anyone had this happen? What was the remedy?

it has never done this except at the dealership. I have 66k on it. No track time yet.
Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Drop a blue pill in the tank😜

77Highboy77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
I have that issue with mine. It started out happening once every few months, but now happens almost every morning and takes a round of pumping the peddle to get it back to how it's supposed to be. I've never taken it in to be looked at since it started after my warranty was up and I have a Steeda braided clutch line that I knew they would blame it on.

It drives fine even when it only has about an inch of travel, the clutch still engages and disengages in that amount of throw and it doesn't have any issues shifting. I have a new clutch master cylinder that's waiting to be installed in case that's it, but I think it's the throwout bearing instead. If I start driving while it's having issues, eventually the peddle will go back to normal as I drive even if I'm not working the peddle; I don't think it would do that if it was the master cylinder.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
How can the dealer not know to bleed the clutch? You nave air in the system or a leak. I would upgrade your clutch line and bleed your clutch. If it still does it may be your slave cylinder/clutch master cylinder needs replacement. You can inspect it under the clutch for obvious signs of leak.

Last edited:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I have that issue with mine. It started out happening once every few months, but now happens almost every morning and takes a round of pumping the peddle to get it back to how it's supposed to be. I've never taken it in to be looked at since it started after my warranty was up and I have a Steeda braided clutch line that I knew they would blame it on.

It drives fine even when it only has about an inch of travel, the clutch still engages and disengages in that amount of throw and it doesn't have any issues shifting. I have a new clutch master cylinder that's waiting to be installed in case that's it, but I think it's the throwout bearing instead. If I start driving while it's having issues, eventually the peddle will go back to normal as I drive even if I'm not working the peddle; I don't think it would do that if it was the master cylinder.
Throwout bearing has nothing to do with clutch dropping. When they go bad they make noise when you press on clutch pedal. The key word "Pumping" lets me know either your slave clutch master cylinder is bad, you have a leak or you have air in the system. I would start by inspecting the clutch lines for leaks and bleeding your clutch. Your slave cylinder could be going bad too but most likely its your clutch master cylinder.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)

77Highboy77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Throwout bearing has nothing to do with clutch dropping. When they go bad they make noise when you press on clutch pedal. The key word "Pumping" lets me know either your slave clutch master cylinder is bad, you have a leak or you have air in the system. I would start by inspecting the clutch lines for leaks and bleeding your clutch. Your slave cylinder could be going bad too but most likely its your clutch master cylinder.
Unfortunately in my case there are no leaks or disappearing brake fluid, I was hoping for a simple fix, though that doesn't necessarily mean air isn't getting in without leaking fluid out. The clutch has been bled many times and doesn't make a difference. Since these cars use a hydraulic throw out bearing, it's all one piece, there's no separate slave cylinder. And since the peddle will go back to normal the longer the engine runs and without touching the pedal, it shouldn't have anything to do with the master cylinder, though I'm still not counting that out either.

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
I've experienced this in my 2017 Ecoboost too but very intermittently; sometimes during a long drive through traffic 1-2 hours, other times first drive from home. Typically I've just hooked the pedal back up and situation normal. No signs of leaks or poor clutch performance. Mentally I'd put it down to a lack of lubrication on the Steeda return spring & that I must get to that one day. 111,111km onboard.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I still vote for the clutch master cylinder. I had similar symptoms on another car that had an hydraulic system like the mustang. The clutch master cylinder was leaking internally with no visible leaks but it was bad. Causing the weird clutch pedal. Just like brakes if you have to pump it something is wrong in the pressure line something is giving out the pressure.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
My clutch pedal did this once in 96k miles. I was driving and did it on a shift. I lifted the pedal with my foot and everything was fine from there on out. No clue why but I haven't investigated since it never came back.

Sponsored

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
My 2018 did this 2x but only on WOT upshifts into 4th gear. Like shifted into 4th and the pedal never came back up. I eventually traded the car in before I ever had it diagnosed but I think I remember reading a few threads about it online

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I feel like I had this once in a car in the shop and it was the springs on the pressure plate.

OP
OP

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Thanks for all of the replies. At this point I am going to let the dealership handle resolution. I must say that with all of the negative reviews of dealerships I have read here that the one I use has been exemplary. I have purchased two cars there and after having not so good experiences with dealerships that are closer to home I make the nearly one hour drive to get some repair on the older car and the warranty work on the Mustang done there. They have always been willing to work with me and been respectful.
Right now I am suspect of the clutch master cylinder and will pass this along to the service writer that I work with.
Again, thanks for all of the replies.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
My 2018 did this 2x but only on WOT upshifts into 4th gear. Like shifted into 4th and the pedal never came back up. I eventually traded the car in before I ever had it diagnosed but I think I remember reading a few threads about it online
That's a different issue. WOT clutch dropping to the floor is more of a stock clutch issue. This was more common on the S197 though (My 2014 GT would do it at 7K rpm shifts).

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Check the plastic line that attaches right at the master cylinder. Sometimes these arent pushed on all the way and air can get into the fluid

1703632175346.png
Sponsored