Interesting GT500 color combination - Twister Orange with Kona Blue stripes

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
I drove a 4200 lb car with a 560 hp v8, 7 speed DCT on the weekend. It was

BORING.

I'm hoping the GT500 really whips the camel's ass. 200 hp should help, and some noise. I don't know how much under 4000 it will come in at...
So, add 200hp and subtract 200#, plus remove Germanic condom that protects from the bit of rowdiness we want in our performance cars, and it’s probably a much more pleasurable experience.
What’d you think of the DCT in and of itself?
What type of driving did you do in the M5?
-J

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red

Track testing.

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
I didn't like the DCT because I wasn't aware of what gear I was in - so couldn't tell via that and sound how fast I was going. It has a HUD but I wasn't looking at that either. I didn't like how it shifted 1-2, you could tell it got out of the power quite a lot to keep the wheelspin in check and protect the system, even with everything off. Also, I very much like to change gears. Been doing it a long time. I drove a porsche boxster thing with the DCT, it was quite a bit more sharp, a much better car. The M was dull. Type of driving... poking along in traffic, powerslides, a few donuts, WOT away from lights feathering it to not spin as much, unhooking over bumps in the road, etc. The sort of thing I'd need the car to be good at if I purchased it.

I had an idea yesterday, since so many GT350's are coming up used or ending up in the shop for a fresh engine.. there will probably be a sufficient number in the future with a cased engine (bearings, etc..) that I could get a 2016 or 2017 used, with the good suspension, the trans and diff coolers, and the nice alu. wheels. Rip out the mill, install a forged cross plane crank, possibly sleeve the block, put it all back together with a TVS 2.65. Bang - you'd have 1000+ wheel, nice power curve, a fantastic 6 speed, all the trappings of a good GT500 at a fraction of the cost without all of the arguing over whether there'd ever be enough track packs or what looks good or what doesn't. I like the way the 350 looks, they're just boring and slow, poor quality control.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I didn't like the DCT because I wasn't aware of what gear I was in - so couldn't tell via that and sound how fast I was going. It has a HUD but I wasn't looking at that either. I didn't like how it shifted 1-2, you could tell it got out of the power quite a lot to keep the wheelspin in check and protect the system, even with everything off. Also, I very much like to change gears. Been doing it a long time. I drove a porsche boxster thing with the DCT, it was quite a bit more sharp, a much better car. The M was dull. Type of driving... poking along in traffic, powerslides, a few donuts, WOT away from lights feathering it to not spin as much, unhooking over bumps in the road, etc. The sort of thing I'd need the car to be good at if I purchased it.

I had an idea yesterday, since so many GT350's are coming up used or ending up in the shop for a fresh engine.. there will probably be a sufficient number in the future with a cased engine (bearings, etc..) that I could get a 2016 or 2017 used, with the good suspension, the trans and diff coolers, and the nice alu. wheels. Rip out the mill, install a forged cross plane crank, possibly sleeve the block, put it all back together with a TVS 2.65. Bang - you'd have 1000+ wheel, nice power curve, a fantastic 6 speed, all the trappings of a good GT500 at a fraction of the cost without all of the arguing over whether there'd ever be enough track packs or what looks good or what doesn't. I like the way the 350 looks, they're just boring and slow, poor quality control.
The GT350 is NOT boring or slow.

Sponsored

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
come on man I saw one take off from a stop - it was literally wheezing.. I could run across an intersection faster than that and I'm almost 40 years old.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
come on man I saw one take off from a stop - it was literally wheezing.. I could run across an intersection faster than that and I'm almost 40 years old.
OK, was he just putzing around on the street?

You know what most people call people who do a max launch at every stoplight? A-holes.

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
Sales guy moving a "used" 2017 with 40 miles sold as dead stock at auction. He was giving it the beans.

I take off hard whenever I can. Time and place. Not around humans.