Sponsored

"intelligent battery charging system"

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
16 GT Premium PP mustang 30,000kms

battery voltage when driving will fluctuate from 11.5-15.3volts with engine running, car has been doing this since brand new.

when I hop in the car in the morning and turn on the ignition (engine off) the battery voltage shows 11.2-11.6v on the gauge cluster.

I have never had a car that has less than 12.4v when I hop in it.
The stang starts up every time, but the seat moves slowly forward when I first hop in.

I can park the car for a couple hours after running it, when I turn on the ignition after sitting for awhile it shows 11.2-11.6v.

dealership says this is normal.

battery basics is battery basics and anything under 12.2v is a dead battery.
anybody got more info on this "intelligent" battery charging system?

battery has been replaced about 26,000kms ago.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gurjit

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
Is there any adjustable parameters?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
16 GT Premium PP mustang 30,000kms

battery voltage when driving will fluctuate from 11.5-15.3volts with engine running, car has been doing this since brand new.

when I hop in the car in the morning and turn on the ignition (engine off) the battery voltage shows 11.2-11.6v on the gauge cluster.

I have never had a car that has less than 12.4v when I hop in it.
The stang starts up every time, but the seat moves slowly forward when I first hop in.

I can park the car for a couple hours after running it, when I turn on the ignition after sitting for awhile it shows 11.2-11.6v.

dealership says this is normal.

battery basics is battery basics and anything under 12.2v is a dead battery.
anybody got more info on this "intelligent" battery charging system?

battery has been replaced about 26,000kms ago.
I've seen my voltage gauge fluctuate while driving too, so it's probably normal.

The voltage gauge on my GT seems to read about 0.5 volt lower than if I took a digital voltmeter and checked directly across the battery terminals to compare.

No adjustable parameters on the charging system.

boostaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium 6MT
I was experiencing the same symptoms you described Gurjit. I bought a new leftover 2016 a few weeks ago and noticed low voltage on the dash monitor too. I pulled the battery cover to check battery cell water level and noticed my batteries indicator eye was dark, telling me it was in a discharged state. Ive made several long drives(over an hour at a time highway speeds) at that point, but the intelligent, or not so intelligent charging system wasnt charging my battery sufficiently. I checked my battery with a fluke dmm and also a load tester, which showed it was at its rated cranking amp capacity. Im not driving my car daily and put a battery tender on it to keep the battery charged. After about a week of being on the battery tender, i checked the battery status eye and it now is green. I also noticed that the cars voltage monitior is no longer fallling in the 11v range. I think because my car sat so long on the dealer lot, the car drained it to the point where it could still be started, but the charging system couldnt fully bring it back to 100% with this new charging method handled by the ecu. Ive since driven my car a few time and the battery indicator eye remains green. Give charging it with a good charger a try, then maybe do a cranking amp test on it. So much drain on this platform & a mpg tailored charging method just doesnt seem wise to me.
Sponsored