W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my Mustang a year ago I just took out a fully comp policy with Ford Insure (didn't seem too expensive and it was simple enough)

Now renewal is due ( Ford Insure will let it automatically renew BTW)

So - as per threads on this Forum I thought I would try other insurers -

all much the same - but mention a "non standard exhaust" and watch the £££s mount up!!!:crying:

Then I called A-Plan (Thatcham) - they matched the Ford policy in every aspect apart from one- no charge for the "exhaust modification"

AND - I save £261 by moving to them!!

also - they are people - not call centres

- if you have a new mod then call them and tell them, probably not going to cost you
- and if you have a claim... tell them and they will follow it all up for you

Maybe I will be proved wrong - but dealing with A-Plan was just it used to be (before call centre crap)

so now I have £261 in the kitty to pay for more mods! :crackup:
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I've been with A-Plan for a couple of years now. So much easier to deal with than the mainstream insurers. Obviously the proof comes in the unfortunate situation of having to claim which we hope to never have to do.
Admiral and Direct Line both refused to cover my car with wheel spacers, despite others having the same mod and being covered. A-Plan don't blink regardless what you bolt on, until it starts to add power.
The only issue I had in the first year was my windscreen cover was limited to £500 so had that sorted for this year.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
just watch them for the renewal i was with them last year and year 2 the auto renewal ! was 500 more expensive and when i rang them they "couldn't" do any better for existing customers.

also ford insure quoted me 14 grand for year 1 cover :)

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
They prob seen you drive mate lol

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
Just goes to show that insurance is very much personal and based on you and your circumstances only. I tried A-Plan twice and on both occasions, they were miles away from being competitive, I ended up with Esure.

Sponsored

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Be interesting to see who you are actually insured with as A-Plan are just a broker and it doesn’t mention Thatcham anywhere on their website, see if you can find out Bob!

Cheapest I’ve had for my renewal is £480 with Direct Line who I’m currently with anyway so will prob just renew with them.

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Direct line don't cover mods tho do they when I added mods to them for a quote I cant remember if it just went thro the roof or don't cover mods

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Be interesting to see who you are actually insured with as A-Plan are just a broker and it doesn’t mention Thatcham anywhere on their website, see if you can find out Bob!

Cheapest I’ve had for my renewal is £480 with Direct Line who I’m currently with anyway so will prob just renew with them.
Thatcham is the branch that deals with modified cars. It apparently has to be them.
My insurance is with Ageas.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Direct line don't cover mods tho do they when I added mods to them for a quote I cant remember if it just went thro the roof or don't cover mods
Yes, they cover most things however I couldn't find spacers on their quote system so used "other". Couldn't get a quote online so had to phone. They said the quote was sitting on £740 but they would see what happened when they changed "other" to "spacers". What happened was they declined to quote...

I'm £277 plus brokerage fee with Ageas through A-Plan. Cheaper than last year.

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
When I bought my Mustang a year ago I just took out a fully comp policy with Ford Insure (didn't seem too expensive and it was simple enough)

Now renewal is due ( Ford Insure will let it automatically renew BTW)

So - as per threads on this Forum I thought I would try other insurers -

all much the same - but mention a "non standard exhaust" and watch the £££s mount up!!!:crying:

Then I called A-Plan (Thatcham) - they matched the Ford policy in every aspect apart from one- no charge for the "exhaust modification"

AND - I save £261 by moving to them!!

also - they are people - not call centres

- if you have a new mod then call them and tell them, probably not going to cost you
- and if you have a claim... tell them and they will follow it all up for you

Maybe I will be proved wrong - but dealing with A-Plan was just it used to be (before call centre crap)

so now I have £261 in the kitty to pay for more mods! :crackup:
Bob if you're a member of MOCGB and quote your membership number they'll give you a discount !!

Sponsored
OP
OP
W111BOB

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
They wanted to know about simply mustangs - for a discount! (I am in MOCGB too as it happens - but that was never mentioned)

Its never a straight comparison - as mentioned above, as we all have different circumstances etc ... loads of variables (excess, business miles, garaged etc etc)

But in his case it was a straight comparison - Ford against A-Plan thatcham (same circumstance and same variables) ...and I saved £260 !

- But Hinch is also right - in a year's time it might be a different story!

After what Direct Line did to me when my dog died last year (i know its a different type of policy) I will never ever deal with them again!

also - when I called Ford Insure to cancel the renewal - no argument, no trying to do something to convince me to stay - nothing!

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
next year make sure you check out more than they're consistently cheapest for me every alternative year ;) don't think i've paid more than 400 for car insurance in years pretty much regardless of car

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ford wanted 4k from me for fully comp. I settled on NFU Mutual at 400 and change with gap insurance included.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
this may sound silly... what is gap insurance ?

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
this may sound silly... what is gap insurance ?
Makes up the shortfall between market value and sticker price in a total loss situation.
Or in the case of certain newer used cars the price you paid for it.
Sponsored