Insurance for Mod Cars in the UK

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Just had my renewal quote through - £191, nearly fell off my chair. Yes, you may auto-renew!

Last edited:
OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Just had my renewal quote through - £191, nearly fell of my chair. Yes, you may auto-renew!
Do you have mods on that policy?

OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
No. No mods on the car, just a comparison to use
I think one thing that is MAJORILY penalizing me is have zero years of no-claims. Foolishly, we always kept our daily driver in solely my wife's name with me only as a named driver. Despite the fact that she has over a decade of no-claims on those insurance policies (which always included me as a named driver), and that I have over a decade of no driving penalties on my license, that's not good enough for the insurance algorithms. It's frustrating, but I think I just have to get the clock ticking and pay the price...or I cancel my purchase of the car, which has crossed my mind.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Yeah not having your own policy gaining NCB is always going to bite hard when it comes to starting on a powerful and of course brand new car. If all you are concerned about is getting the supercharger for show then don't get the s/c and just enjoy the car as Ford supply it. It won't be slow and it's a cracking car, you can't suddenly add NCB to your record so no point worrying about it.

OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah not having your own policy gaining NCB is always going to bite hard when it comes to starting on a powerful and of course brand new car. If all you are concerned about is getting the supercharger for show then don't get the s/c and just enjoy the car as Ford supply it. It won't be slow and it's a cracking car, you can't suddenly add NCB to your record so no point worrying about it.
The supercharger is totally optional. But I would like to at least do a resonator delete and maybe headers, and make some cosmetic changes like the bonnet and rear spoiler. I am trying a guy that insures a buddy's vintage rally car, he said he might be able to help me. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, I can't believe it, but I think my mate's insurance broker might be able to help me out. One thing is that I need a Category S5 Tracking Device, which I'm guessing does not come standard on a new Mach 1? Any advice?

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Okay, I can't believe it, but I think my mate's insurance broker might be able to help me out. One thing is that I need a Category S5 Tracking Device, which I'm guessing does not come standard on a new Mach 1? Any advice?
not standard, google it and find local installers. About another 1k for lifetime ownership of car, including fitting.

E=MC2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge & Soon to be Mach 1
I think one thing that is MAJORILY penalizing me is have zero years of no-claims. Foolishly, we always kept our daily driver in solely my wife's name with me only as a named driver. Despite the fact that she has over a decade of no-claims on those insurance policies (which always included me as a named driver), and that I have over a decade of no driving penalties on my license, that's not good enough for the insurance algorithms. It's frustrating, but I think I just have to get the clock ticking and pay the price...or I cancel my purchase of the car, which has crossed my mind.
why don't you put the insurance in your wife name ? be a named driver - it sounds like it worked in the past then put yourself on another car and bulid it up that way? Or just insure without mod's ?

You had one before, your issue was the manual tran's due to being in london. - if you like the car it doesn't matter if you mod it or not at the end of the day. The mod's aren't going anywhere, they will always be around. Just it causes a delay to your plan on whatever you wanted to do - but only you can decide if it's worth it or not, no one else has a say.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
why don't you put the insurance in your wife name ? be a named driver - it sounds like it worked in the past then put yourself on another car and bulid it up that way? Or just insure without mod's ?

You had one before, your issue was the manual tran's due to being in london. - if you like the car it doesn't matter if you mod it or not at the end of the day. The mod's aren't going anywhere, they will always be around. Just it causes a delay to your plan on whatever you wanted to do - but only you can decide if it's worth it or not, no one else has a say.
You know what mate, that's a very good idea. But I am lucky, this afternoon I spoke to a guy at Lockton Performance, who was very knowledgeable and took the time to listen to my case. I am completely sorted now, and I have total flexibility. With this insurance, I can leave it stock or go straight to 750hp, totally up to me. If anyone needs more details, DM me. But I can say Lockton was super.