Sponsored

Insurance claim switcheroo

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
Sooooo... my piss poor luck continues with my baby lol.

I had an unfortunate meeting with a pole last week while driving around a turn and the crap p zero neros coupled with my speed and the fact that the ground was wet sent me twisting and turning and left the ride with a wrecked front end and a dented hood.

The insurance claim went through and they are replacing the hood.

Now... on ford parts I can get the gt hood with extractors for the exact same price that I can get the stock hood replaced at the dealership it's going to.

Has anyone ever tried to get an upgraded part during an insurance claim? I wanted to ask the dealer if I could get the gt hood put on since it's literally the same price.
Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The insurance adjuster doesn't buy the parts, all they do is give you a quote for what they think it costs to repair to vehicle. So basically it's up to you what parts you want to put on the car. But if the cost of those parts doesn't match with the adjuster's quote you'll be paying out of pocket.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
^^^Yep. Exactly what Evolvd said...

cbass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
God
Vehicle(s)
2015 400a A6
The insurance adjuster doesn't buy the parts, all they do is give you a quote for what they think it costs to repair to vehicle. So basically it's up to you what parts you want to put on the car. But if the cost of those parts doesn't match with the adjuster's quote you'll be paying out of pocket.
Paying the difference, not the whole bill. I just didn't think that was clear enough.

With my 13, I smashed a raccoon, and opted to use a body shop not in the insurance company's network. They looked at the damage, assigned a value that they deemed reasonable, and asked me to review the quote and either propose revisions or approve. After a couple of back and forths, we set a number on what the damage should cost to repair, and they cut me a check for that amount minus my deductible.

I then took my car to a friendly shop, and got GT500 mufflers and rear valence delivered, instead of the stock bits they wanted.

OP
OP
Cmw458

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
Thanks for the help! Talked to the shop and they said exactly that. I shouldn't have any out of pocket and they said if I do it won't be anymore than maybe $100. So GT hood it is :)

Sponsored

cbass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
God
Vehicle(s)
2015 400a A6
That was implied, but thank you. :cheers:
Yeah, I knew what you meant, but with some people and the internet... better to put it in big ass bold letters with flashing arrows and hope they notice, and they still might not see it.
Sponsored