027.jpg
028.jpg
029.jpg
030.jpg
035.jpg
036.jpg
022.jpg
023.jpg
I ordered a Whipple complete stage 1 kit from Beefcake. It took Whipple about 3 weeks to build the kit. Almost done with the install and thought I would give an update with some pictures.

Random selection of photos at various stages. I couple of things. Excellent kit. I few important details missing. A few errors. Incorrect serpentine belt which took me 4 1/2 hours to figure out that was wrong even though Whipple insisted it was correct. The parts are like OEM or better. Still have to put the plugs in and fluids. The kit calls for Ford Motorcraft 5-50 full synthetic as well as 2 bottles of Redline Water Wetter (which I think is questionable).

This is the 50 state kit. According to another Bullitthead that has this exact kit, his car made 650 rwhp. We shall see.

I took Whipple a couple of days to email the tune. I am using all the Whipple stuff. Not planning on a custom tune at this time.

I put the strut brace on to show it truly doesn't work. Also have to remove the 2 PP 1 supports in front of the radiator as that's where the supercharger radiator goes. It is HUGE. Actually larger in area than the radiator. Twice the size of the one on my '11 Roush.
137.jpg
138.jpg
139.jpg
041.jpg
042.jpg
043.jpg
044.jpg
045.jpg
046.jpg
047.jpg
048.jpg
049.jpg
050.jpg
051.jpg
052.jpg
053.jpg
054.jpg
055.jpg
056.jpg
058.jpg
062.jpg
063.jpg
064.jpg
066.jpg
067.jpg
136.jpg
Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Nice work Bob, I'm impressed. Did you have any help, or all by yourself? How many hours in total to complete the job?

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
As far as time goes, I was actually writing the time as each major component was removed. Then the install was going fairly good until the belt issue. You replace every pulley on the front of the engine. Only leaving the engine damper, water pump pulley and alternator pulley. There is both an adjustable slide pulley and a tensioner. Whipple insisted that the belt included was correct. No way. I measured and found Gates made the belt too short by an inch. Got a new one to specs and still wouldn't fit. Had to get a belt 1.5 inches longer and it BARELY fit. Anyway, that took me 4.5 hours to get right as I was trying to satisfy Whipple. They then sent me another email saying they would send me another belt whatever size I needed. They were overall really good. No complaints at all.

The weight of the 2 boxes was about 180 lbs. Packaging maybe 25 lbs. Removed parts perhaps 40lbs. But I have yet to add the coolant. So, I would estimate it adds about 130lbs.

Yes, did all myself except for setting the supercharger parts on the engine. Took my son 10 minutes to come from work to drop on. Removing the facia was actually easier than on the s197. DId it alone no problem. Sad thing is that this, and all PD kits requires removal of the 2 supports in the grille area as well as the strut bracket.

Like anything else, now that I'm experienced in the install, I could likely get it done in 2 eight hour days. I'm retired so I work on it, take a break, etc. So, I'm in to my 4th day. But really, this is a very straightforward install.

You reuse the Bullitt throttle body, so even though it's not the giant stage 2 Whipple TB, still a bit bigger than a GT.

Sponsored

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Are you filling the huffer with oil when you're using the try square/level? Is that the fill/level plug port shown in the pic?

I'm watching this closely, as i was originally going to go with Roush's set up and be their guinea pig, but 3 Ford savvy friends have told me Whipple is the way to go.

Would also self-install, as i'm 99% sure I could do a better job than the ass clowns at the dealership ...that's 75 miles from me.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
It looks as though Whipple is constantly making changes as several of the photographs show a slightly different setup. You're supposed to put the blower base on a level surface and then fill it until it starts to come out the hole that you're filling it through. Another photographs that shows the fill hole higher. Overall it's really not that difficult there's just a lot of parts. Perhaps 20 different hoses but they all have the correct fittings on them or you're told how to connected to the existing hose such as the heater hose which I'll use shrink wrap on. I would definitely use the Whipple for several reasons. I know that the roush requires you do grind apart off the front area of the timing chain cover. I also had a roush before and it was good. My only concern with the tvs blowers such as roush or Edelbrock is that they will make more torque at a lower RPM. Although this sounds good if you've driven the car with a lot of torque at 2000 or 2500 rpmit can have the opposite effect of our Bullitts in that too much low-end torque makes it hard to launch without spinning the tires. You'll need a good number of tools including an inch pound torque wrench. As I'm anal on using correct torque settings. Good luck on your choice. Remember I haven't started this thing yet so we'll see what happens!

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I’d be curious to see your evaluation of the handling of the car after the whipple install. Adding 130 plus pounds of weight at and beyond the front axle has to have an impact. I do not want to give up my strut bar and cowl bracing which may push me eventually to turbo or centri setup versus pd blower.

Sponsored

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Thanks for the detailed installation report! Tools won't be a problem, i'm an A&P mechanic and almost everything in aircraft is in-lbs; not ft-lbs. Any concern with the location of the intercooler tank/pump and the Michigan winters with snow accumulation in the LF wheel area? Or will your car be put away in the winter?

Would a lift make the Whipple install any easier on old, achy knees and back ?

FG7XXPhh.jpg

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I left would be helpful but really not needed. I raise my car up enough to get the wheels off of it and remove the fender liner so I guess it would be helpful. Doesn't bother me much. But the other fellow speaking about the losing the strut parts and going with a centi, I almost did that and still think would be a great way to go. I just know from having one in the past there isn't much torque low down and I need some down there to enjoy driving the car. So it was a trade-off. If you're going to do road racing I would definitely do the centri

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Finally done. Test drove 10 miles. Here is my summary:

- Total additional weight is exactly 112 lbs. I weighed the removed items and the packing and added in the 1 gallon of distilled water and 1 gallon of Motorcraft coolant. Only thing I missed was the 2 bottles of Redline Water Wetter. So maybe 114 lbs. I didn't notice it on my test drive but I was not paying attention to handling.
- The tune is so far spot on. Starts and idles and runs like stock.
- The advance trac and traction control lights are on. I am not concerned. Likely just an adjustment or need to disconnect battery.
- Check engine light is not on.
- The difference between "normal" and "quiet" is night and day. Nothing like stock. Exhaust pops in "normal" loudly. Exhaust in general is louder, except "quiet". It really is quiet. Like a light switch difference. Nothing like the stock differences.
- More off idle torque, but not tons like the Roush. Powerful acceleration and the tires grip. Very, very nice. I have Magneride, don't know about others.
- Not a lot of whine. Can't really hear the blower unless you put in on "quiet". In quiet it sounds powerful like old school stock muscle car in my hearing. Reminds me of my 1964 stroker 427 with full exhaust.

Additional comment. The "K" brace is really substantial and ties the strut mounts and cowl together. Heavy steel. No worries about losing handling from the strut bracket. I would have liked to save the reinforcement brackets behind the grill, though.

IMG_20190831_140630557_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190831_140621795.jpg

I don't know how to do a video on Mustang 6G if you can. I did post one on the Bullitt facebook page.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Thanks for sharing your adventure!!!!

1st gear giving what you sought?
Sponsored