Sponsored

Installing New Seat - need to bolster knowledge from search

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
My 2019 has the convenience comfy seats with AC/Heating. As I've been tracking more, I've wanted an option that would hold me a bit more still and maybe give me a bit of headroom as I have to recline slightly with helmet on. I didn't want to go full race bucket because I do a lot of canyon driving too, so didn't want a full race setup (bucket / rollbar / etc.). I still think I'll get the Schroth quick fit pro harnesses at some point (and therefore want the stock seatbelt system)

I ended up with a Recaro Sportster seat: https://www.vividracing.com/-p-1518...DimOhlH_VOfqvVxvzEu8mP6ODw4jUvKxoCrj0QAvD_BwE

Planted seat base: https://www.plantedtechnology.com/planted-seat-bracket-ford-mustang-2015-driver-left.html

I'm trying to figure out what I need in order to
  1. Preserve the seat belt system detection (and function of pre-tensioning which is key to Schroth system)
  2. Not have the airbag light (lower priority on this one).
I've found a ton of old threads, but surprisingly not many answers. I think I need to put a 2 ohm resistor across some plug (but I'm not clear which one). I also knew I needed to plug in the seat belt, but when I was test fitting the Recaro, I saw that the stock seat seatbelt doesn't plug in directly to the plug under the drivers seat, but rather goes to a complicated harness that is plugged in under the seat. (there are two relatively large connectors).

I called one dealership yesterday who refused to give me any information (weird). I stopped by another today and explained wanting to use aftermarket seats, but they were totally clueless. Based on my description, he offered to order for me the drivers seat harness and seat belt assembly, but it seemed steep - $155 for the harness and $170 for the buckle, and he told me there were no pictures, and he would not provide part numbers, so it was hard to plunk down >$300 for what I don't even know are the right parts.

Anyone have any options or clearer directions (or pointers to another discussion about post 2018 cars and this situation - I heard they changed over the wiring in 2018).
Sponsored

Colin1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 2015 VW GTI PP
following.

I ended up buying a used driver and passenger harness to use. But I also a little unsure where to go from there

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
My 2019 has the convenience comfy seats with AC/Heating. As I've been tracking more, I've wanted an option that would hold me a bit more still and maybe give me a bit of headroom as I have to recline slightly with helmet on. I didn't want to go full race bucket because I do a lot of canyon driving too, so didn't want a full race setup (bucket / rollbar / etc.). I still think I'll get the Schroth quick fit pro harnesses at some point (and therefore want the stock seatbelt system)

I ended up with a Recaro Sportster seat: https://www.vividracing.com/-p-1518...DimOhlH_VOfqvVxvzEu8mP6ODw4jUvKxoCrj0QAvD_BwE

Planted seat base: https://www.plantedtechnology.com/planted-seat-bracket-ford-mustang-2015-driver-left.html

1. Preserve the seat belt system detection (and function of pre-tensioning which is key to Schroth system)
I've found a ton of old threads, but surprisingly not many answers. I think I need to put a 2 ohm resistor across some plug (but I'm not clear which one). I also knew I needed to plug in the seat belt, but when I was test fitting the Recaro, I saw that the stock seat seatbelt doesn't plug in directly to the plug under the drivers seat, but rather goes to a complicated harness that is plugged in under the seat. (there are two relatively large connectors).

I called one dealership yesterday who refused to give me any information (weird). I stopped by another today and explained wanting to use aftermarket seats, but they were totally clueless. Based on my description, he offered to order for me the drivers seat harness and seat belt assembly, but it seemed steep - $155 for the harness and $170 for the buckle, and he told me there were no pictures, and he would not provide part numbers, so it was hard to plunk down >$300 for what I don't even know are the right parts.

Anyone have any options or clearer directions (or pointers to another discussion about post 2018 cars and this situation - I heard they changed over the wiring in 2018).
I have a set of ā€˜16 recaros that I put in my ā€˜19 car occasionally. Even with the 2 ohm resistor I still got an airbag light. After further investigation, I believe you need to pull the bladder and accompanying hardware from your stock seat (or another seat from the same year) to fully fool the computer.

I may be wrong, but I thought @Hangman77 got it figured out when he switched seats, but Iā€™m not 100% sure.

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a set of ā€˜16 recaros that I put in my ā€˜19 car occasionally. Even with the 2 ohm resistor I still got an airbag light. After further investigation, I believe you need to pull the bladder and accompanying hardware from your stock seat (or another seat from the same year) to fully fool the computer.

I may be wrong, but I thought @Hangman77 got it figured out when he switched seats, but Iā€™m not 100% sure.
I think the bladder is only necessary for the passenger seat, but I'm not totally sure. I only plan on swapping the driver seat.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I think the bladder is only necessary for the passenger seat, but I'm not totally sure. I only plan on swapping the driver seat.
Interestingā€¦.. totally possible. I canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever replaced one seat and not the other.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Driver's seat does not have OCS (bladder) as far as I know. I don't know of anyone who has successfully got rid of the airbag light on 18+ car. I just got used to it.

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Driver's seat does not have OCS (bladder) as far as I know. I don't know of anyone who has successfully got rid of the airbag light on 18+ car. I just got used to it.
What did you need for connecting the seatbelt wiring?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
What did you need for connecting the seatbelt wiring?
Unfortunately I haven't done anything - I've installed Schroth Rallye because Quickfit I used to have with stock seats did not fit really well the seat I got (Corbeau FX Pro 1) - So I have unconnected seat belt buckle mounted to the seat bracket in case I ever use stock belts - I'd probably get a harness and plug it in - harnesses seem modular - it looked like the seatbelt piece could be removed from stock seat.

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Did you hit the seat compilation thread yet?

I had put it together with hopes of capturing all available seat swaps/air bag questions; there may be a thread with the answers you're seeking in here for you:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...rranties-cooling-heating-rear-deletes.171505/

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Hangman77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt350R Heritage

you need a bladder for passenger side to completely clear the air bag light.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
you need a bladder for passenger side to completely clear the air bag light.
If I recall I remember seeing someone putting a short piece of plastic tubing on the bladder tube and a plug on the other end to always maintain pressure on the switch so the light doesn't come on and the airbag stays active. It avoids the need to attach an actual bladder.

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For my use, I'm relative ok with airbag light, but don't want any seatbelt issues. I'm looking for what I need to purchase to run the seatbelt on the new seat.

Colin1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 2015 VW GTI PP
Can anyone confirm if the airbag system will still function with the light on?
Sponsored