Sponsored

Installing a starter kill

del101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I've installed starter kills in all our cars for many years now. Ever since that nice man broke into our home while we were packing to go get married, and stole my wallet and car keys and took the jeep right out of our front door. I prefer a key-pad starter kill requiring a code to enable the ignition system. Installation in my other mustangs and various other cars has always been simple: cut the ignition wire and install a relay switch that is controlled by the keypad. The ignition wire has always been easy to locate--big yellow cable running out of the steering column.

Alas, that is not the case with our 550s, push-button start, of course. Has anyone installed a starter kill yet or have any good ideas for a clean and relatively secure install? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored

vt89gtvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 red gt convertible
manual says fuse 30 is for the starter...

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
DIY remote kill switch. Splice in a hidden toggle switch into the "push to start" switch under clutch pedal for manual transmission, brake pedal for autos. Just two wires coming off that switch...gotta tie into the right one :D
WP_20150307_13_01_18_Pro.jpg

OP
OP

del101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I decided to take it to an installer. Boy what a mission it was to do it. Apparently, the start button has three different cables for enabling the starter and splicing any one of the won't do the trick. Had to wire directly to starter. On my 2011 GT it was 10 minutes under the steering column. This was hours...it's all computer-regulated now. I would have foiled something up for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
^Did you have a hidden toggle switch installed?

OP
OP

del101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, it's a keypad only. It came with a toggle switch but I won't be using it. I see no point to it, and a good car thief will hunt for that button and find it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
No, it's a keypad only. It came with a toggle switch but I won't be using it. I see no point to it, and a good car thief will hunt for that button and find it.

Car thieves who read these forums to learn how to get what they want will now know exactly where and how your car is wired for the kill switch... Disabling that is now a breeze... Lmao... :lol:

:cheers:

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
DIY remote kill switch. Splice in a hidden toggle switch into the "push to start" switch under clutch pedal for manual transmission, brake pedal for autos. Just two wires coming off that switch...gotta tie into the right one :D

How is this done? Can you PM me?

vt89gtvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 red gt convertible
Car thieves who read these forums to learn how to get what they want will now know exactly where and how your car is wired for the kill switch... Disabling that is now a breeze... Lmao... :lol:

Maybe it is just because I don't live in a "big city," but I don't have many professional car thieves with much skill. It is usually more of the punk kid, with a screw driver (Not helping with a s550) or someone just loading the car on a roll back at best. Or someone stealing the key and then the car.

Sponsored
OP
OP

del101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Generally someone smart enough to do that is smart enough to be doing something else other than stealing cars. Gone in 60 Seconds is complete and pure fiction. Car thieves are almost exclusively ignorant dumbass opportunists. I just want a little barrier making it a little more difficult to steal. That's enough. Thanks.

OP
OP

del101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Seriously?? The installer said he had to go directly to the starter because there were three ignition signaling wires coming from the start button, and you can't splice them because it's computer controlled. Didn't make much sense to me, but that's what I was told. Does really splicing that wire underneath the clutch pedal disable the ignition??

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Seriously?? The installer said he had to go directly to the starter because there were three ignition signaling wires coming from the start button, and you can't splice them because it's computer controlled. Didn't make much sense to me, but that's what I was told. Does really splicing that wire underneath the clutch pedal disable the ignition??

He is saying to tie into the clutch safety switch wires. It would work...

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
He is saying to tie into the clutch safety switch wires. It would work...
Obviously start button and clutch switch are wired together. Car wont start if that switch isn't made. Interrupt that circuit with an "opened" toggle switch, car wont start. In theory it should work.

OP
OP

del101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^ thanks folks. I'm gonna let him know when he finishes the install on Saturday. I really don't care how it's done as long as it's a good balance of security and durability.

Sponsored