Sponsored

Installed Camber Bolts and Re-Aligned after lowering.......glad i did!

Pat-Red-PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2020 PP2 VMP Loki
All I can say here is that if you knew what I know about aftermarket crash bolts and strut to knuckle fastener torquing, you wouldn't be exclamation-point-proud of that decision.

I'm out.

Norm
Ok thanks for The information!
Sponsored

RSPEK 178

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
MY20 Mustang R Spec
Ok thanks for The information!
Well I put my car in for its first service with 4,600 kms (australia) and the inner edge on both front tyres are feathering. I get a call and make the call to wheel align. The vehicle has ford performance suspension and magneride which means it has been lowered by about 20 mm. All factory fitted. After the wheel alignment I get a call from the service manager (good guy and mustang enthusiast himself) and they cannot get the wheel alignment in spec. Car has not been involved in any accidents or track work. The factory suggested fix is to file out the lower strut mount and fit camber type bolt. Iā€™m not happy and consider the ā€˜fixā€™ to be a bit backyard and rough, bush mechanic type fixā€¦I raise a service call and talk through. My options are go suggested fix or I can fit camber plates at my expense (after checking with local dealer will not impact warranty) and keep receipts to make a claim later for ford factory consideration. I have decided to go down the camber plates route and Iā€™ll get my local ford dealer to fit and do wheel align as part of process. Bit painful as I have had to get a mate in the US to purchase camber plates and ship them to me as they are twice the price in Australia. When all fitted be interesting to see if my expense claim is honouredā€¦.?
cheers

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Canā€™t say I would have been unhappy with ~-1.6 camber. So youā€™re saying going from -1.6 to ~-1.0 camber made a difference you could feel? One would argue the first setting would handle better. Either way, a good feel to you is most important. Thanks for the info.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Well I put my car in for its first service with 4,600 kms (australia) and the inner edge on both front tyres are feathering. I get a call and make the call to wheel align. The vehicle has ford performance suspension and magneride which means it has been lowered by about 20 mm. All factory fitted. After the wheel alignment I get a call from the service manager (good guy and mustang enthusiast himself) and they cannot get the wheel alignment in spec. Car has not been involved in any accidents or track work. The factory suggested fix is to file out the lower strut mount and fit camber type bolt. Iā€™m not happy and consider the ā€˜fixā€™ to be a bit backyard and rough, bush mechanic type fixā€¦I raise a service call and talk through. My options are go suggested fix or I can fit camber plates at my expense (after checking with local dealer will not impact warranty) and keep receipts to make a claim later for ford factory consideration. I have decided to go down the camber plates route and Iā€™ll get my local ford dealer to fit and do wheel align as part of process. Bit painful as I have had to get a mate in the US to purchase camber plates and ship them to me as they are twice the price in Australia. When all fitted be interesting to see if my expense claim is honouredā€¦.?
cheers
Grinding the bolt holes into an oval is a fine fix. Itā€™s literally the Ford approved procedure. If the issue is left-right imbalance, the subframe has some play in how itā€™s mounted and can be shifted.

RSPEK 178

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
MY20 Mustang R Spec
Grinding the bolt holes into an oval is a fine fix. Itā€™s literally the Ford approved procedure. If the issue is left-right imbalance, the subframe has some play in how itā€™s mounted and can be shifted.
I understand that it is one way to fix the problem but given the money I paid for this car filing out something that should have been right from factory does not sit right by me. Just my opinion. šŸ‘

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I understand that it is one way to fix the problem but given the money I paid for this car filing out something that should have been right from factory does not sit right by me. Just my opinion. šŸ‘
Lowering the car increase the negative camber and the ford specs for the lowering kit are not the same than the stock suspension and ride high
So itā€™s not surprising and nobody fault if the dealer canā€™t readjust the camber to what you had before installing the lowering kit... now if the dealer canā€™t adjust to the lowering kit specs, thatā€™s a whole other issue
Sponsored