Installed Both Sides Ford Performance Catch Can at 21,000 miles

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
Crazy...wonder why don't ship car with...
Because the average person has a hard enough time with basic maintenance. Add in a catch can that they have to empty regularly and it will never be done. Easier to route to the intake and burn the excess as a "solution", thereby avoiding engine problems for full catch cans, or having people dumping them improperly and getting hit with fines as a company because your buyers are polluting the ground.
Sponsored

Reagan2791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Youre 100% correct. Bought passenger side for ecoboost ( heard it was dirty side on forums.) and get about 3 table spoons in 3000 miles. Then recently installed the drivers side 3000 miles ago and shit, when I opened it today it was full to the top! 2021 Ecoboost..
Is this something simple to do? Iā€™m not mechanically inclined but I bought a 2017 Ecoboost yesterday. It already has 62k miles on it but I donā€™t ā€œthinkā€ any modifications have been made. Iā€™ve been reading these forums and this topic is everywhere. Seems like a necessary investment but again, I donā€™t know which to get or how to do it. Would they do it at Ford? Or a mechanic?

TimH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2021 ecoboost Mustang
Is this something simple to do? Iā€™m not mechanically inclined but I bought a 2017 Ecoboost yesterday. It already has 62k miles on it but I donā€™t ā€œthinkā€ any modifications have been made. Iā€™ve been reading these forums and this topic is everywhere. Seems like a necessary investment but again, I donā€™t know which to get or how to do it. Would they do it at Ford? Or a mechanic?
Clean side (passengers) super simple. Dirty side faily difficult under engine on one hose but I would definitely try it.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Youre 100% correct. Bought passenger side for ecoboost ( heard it was dirty side on forums.) and get about 3 table spoons in 3000 miles. Then recently installed the drivers side 3000 miles ago and shit, when I opened it today it was full to the top! 2021 Ecoboost..
something is wrong with that.

my dirty side, I got a shot glass in 10k miles.

clean side, didnt get even a drop, but I did get a CEL from the ford perf catch can, but ignore that. I would seriously look into why your clean side is getting destroyed by oil.

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
My driver side Ford catch can after 8 months was full, but I do autocross the car 6-8 times a year. I personally think it is worth it and now drain it every 6 months. From under the car a simple install.

Sponsored

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I check mine about every two weeks when I check the oil. I've never let mine go passed that. My JLT gets a little less than a quarter full every two weeks. Maybe 500 miles.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
I check mine about every two weeks when I check the oil. I've never let mine go passed that. My JLT gets a little less than a quarter full every two weeks. Maybe 500 miles.
I also have a JLT (drivers side if anyone cares) after 5000 miles its over 75% full.

I change my oil / general maintenance every 5k so its no big deal to empty it...but it is a lot of oil...

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost MT-82, Chassis N0078
Today I installed the Ford Performance oil seperators on both the drivers and passanger sides. The drivers side is a struggle because of the hose location and the white clips that hold the hose on the nipples. I broke both clips to get the hose off, oops. The passanger side was easy. The car has 40 miles on it and this is the first mod.

I got a look at the active exhaust while I was under the car. The pipe between the turbo and cat converter is around 3". I thought sweet when I first saw it because I hoped the whole system would be like that. However out the cat the pipe is smaller than 3" and it gets necked down from there, bummer.

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
My car has finally gone 1,000 miles so I changed the oil and filter. I checked the air oil seperators. Just like FreePenguin stated would be, nothing in the passenger side and I got around an ounce of oil from the drivers side.

So I will say that if you want to keep those intake valves cleaner longer an air oil seperator is a probally a good idea.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
My car has finally gone 1,000 miles so I changed the oil and filter. I checked the air oil seperators. Just like FreePenguin stated would be, nothing in the passenger side and I got around an ounce of oil from the drivers side.

So I will say that if you want to keep those intake valves cleaner longer an air oil seperator is a probally a good idea.
Correct ! You should never have oil in the clean side can. It is the PCV system air intake.

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Correct ! You should never have oil in the clean side can. It is the PCV system air intake.
You are correct. However if/when the solenoid valve in the line fails and the engine is under boost the clean side seperator will catch the oil before it backflows into the compressor inlet pipe.
Sponsored