Sponsored

Installed Both Sides Ford Performance Catch Can at 21,000 miles

Ardy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
I have a 2019 EB and I just installed Ford Performance catch cans on both sides of the engine.
IMG_2256.JPG

Do you think there has been significant carbon buildup on intake valves in 21,000 miles?

Also, what's the benefit of doing this rather than just venting it to atmosphere and plugging off the intake holes?

Thanks
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
you're fine, dont stress it. people have 100s of thousands of miles with no issues. its just preventing and peace of mind is all you get

VegasEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Venting to atmosphere just means you’re gonna have an oily mess under your hood. The can is there to capture oil…. Where did you think the oil was gonna go if you don’t capture it?

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Venting to atmosphere just means you’re gonna have an oily mess under your hood. The can is there to capture oil…. Where did you think the oil was gonna go if you don’t capture it?
Why, into that $250 catch can of course... LOL
Seriously, I checked mine the other day and the passenger side had around 1/8 to 1/4-cup of oil in it and the driver's side was bone dry. This in around a 1000 miles on the street.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Why, into that $250 catch can of course... LOL
Seriously, I checked mine the other day and the passenger side had around 1/8 to 1/4-cup of oil in it and the driver's side was bone dry. This in around a 1000 miles on the street.
gt's ares opposite from what I understand

passenger on ecoboost is clean side, driver is dirty

gt passenger is dirty, driver is clean.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ardy

Ardy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
route hose to ground?

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
FP catch can after 6 months and last oil change, did run a few autox since. Can is big so probably no issue waiting between oil changes to empty it.

02944407-9EF8-4440-A5D4-371295AC541D.jpeg

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost MT-82, Chassis N0078
I have a 2019 EB and I just installed Ford Performance catch cans on both sides of the engine.
IMG_2256.JPG

Do you think there has been significant carbon buildup on intake valves in 21,000 miles?

Also, what's the benefit of doing this rather than just venting it to atmosphere and plugging off the intake holes?

Thanks
Hey Ardy, Are you collecting oil in both seperators?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Ardy, Are you collecting oil in both seperators?
don't waste your time on the clean side catch can, not worth it, it throws codes, and it just makes engine not run right.

only do dirty side, I caught oil in dirty side (albeit little) its still worth it there. no issues.

Sponsored

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
don't waste your time on the clean side catch can, not worth it, it throws codes, and it just makes engine not run right.

only do dirty side, I caught oil in dirty side (albeit little) its still worth it there. no issues.
OK, so which side do you collect oil in? The driver or passenger side.

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
driver side. thats the only one you should get one for. wont throw a code or anything. the passenger side is one you dont want.
Cool, Merry Christmas!

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
IMG_2256.JPG

Thanks
It's best to run a UPR dual valve catch can on the passenger side of your ecoboost. It keeps any kind of oil sludge from going into your turbo. On my ecoboost I also gutted the PCV valve on the drivers side. I noticed the car ran a lot better after doing so. Kept everything clean. Also keep in mind to empty the can preferably ever 3k miles when you change the oil. UPR Products 5030-104-1 2015-2017 Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost Plug-n-Play Dual Valve Oil Catch Can (Black) (UPR-5030-104-1)

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
I hope Ardy chimes in on this. I don't have my car yet so I am just making an educated guess here about the Positive Crankcase Ventalation system.
The PCV line to the valve cover with the solenoid valve is probally connected to the compressor intake pipe. This is the line that clean air is drawn into the engine block. So in theory only condensation will collect in that seperator. However when the crankcase is pressurized and if the solenoid hasn't snapped closed then the crankcase oil vapor could backup into the intake pipe and coat the compressor wheel.
The PVC line on the drvers side connects between the engine block and intake manifold. Under vacuum the oil vapor and byproducts of combustion will be sucked into the intake manifold to be burned. Oil should collect on this side of the engine. Does the PVC line have a check valve to prevent over pressurizing the crankcase and the oil seperator?
Sponsored

Last edited: