Installed Both Sides Ford Performance Catch Can at 21,000 miles

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
driver side. thats the only one you should get one for. wont throw a code or anything. the passenger side is one you dont want.
I don't agree with this. Only the passenger side on my car collects oil. Driver's side stays completely dry.
Sponsored

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
It's best to run a UPR dual valve catch can on the passenger side of your ecoboost. It keeps any kind of oil sludge from going into your turbo. On my ecoboost I also gutted the PCV valve on the drivers side. I noticed the car ran a lot better after doing so. Kept everything clean. Also keep in mind to empty the can preferably ever 3k miles when you change the oil. UPR Products 5030-104-1 2015-2017 Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost Plug-n-Play Dual Valve Oil Catch Can (Black) (UPR-5030-104-1)
What do you mean by "gutted," like completely took out? Still trying to learn this engine and everything that comes with it lol

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I don't agree with this. Only the passenger side on my car collects oil. Driver's side stays completely dry.
are you ecoobost?

because eco boost, driver side is dirty, passenger is clean

GT is opposite.

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost MT-82, Chassis N0078
What do you mean by "gutted," like completely took out? Still trying to learn this engine and everything that comes with it lol
Racing engines usually don't have a PVC system because they don't want to dilute the air/fuel intake . Drag race engines may have a hose from the valve cover to the exhaust header collector. This is used to try to put thecrankcase under negative pressure for less windage in the crankcase and more power. The crankcase gas needs to be vented somewhere so the exhaust acts like a venturi to draw it out. I have seen road racers that just vent the vapor under the hood through a filter media like K&N. In a street driven car an arrangement like this will eventually create an oil coating in the engine bay. How long will that take? Your milage may vary.

I believe I have seen an ecoboost downpipe that has a couple of connections for hoses on it. Possibly for the crankcase vent hose and maybe a BOV connection.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning

Sponsored

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

TimH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2021 ecoboost Mustang
gt's ares opposite from what I understand

passenger on ecoboost is clean side, driver is dirty

gt passenger is dirty, driver is clean.
Youre 100% correct. Bought passenger side for ecoboost ( heard it was dirty side on forums.) and get about 3 table spoons in 3000 miles. Then recently installed the drivers side 3000 miles ago and shit, when I opened it today it was full to the top! 2021 Ecoboost..

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Youre 100% correct. Bought passenger side for ecoboost ( heard it was dirty side on forums.) and get about 3 table spoons in 3000 miles. Then recently installed the drivers side 3000 miles ago and shit, when I opened it today it was full to the top! 2021 Ecoboost..
Tim, what liquid is collecting in the passenger side? Oil, water, combination of both?

Sponsored

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Oil. If I had water in my oil I would suspect a big problem.
Tim, are you using Ford Performance air/oil seperators? Has your Check Engine Light come on because of the seperators?

TimH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2021 ecoboost Mustang
Tim, are you using Ford Performance air/oil Seperators? Has your Check Engine Light come on because of the Seperators?
Yes. I have them on both sides. I started with the passenger side. Had CEL many times. Found out the rubber o ring gets dislodged and leaks when I install and take off hose. So FP sent me a new hose because I think it is a design flaw, and I have put a small amount of grease on the hose connector when I install. So far that solved that problem. I recently installed the driver's side and the CEL came on and I couldn't find any leaks. Found out that the driver's side was full to top on oil. I cleaned out and no CEL. I track my car so I wanted to do the Ford manual recommendations in case an issue and I need the warranty. I would really recommend the drivers side being done if you have an ecoboost.

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Yes. I have them on both sides. I started with the passenger side. Had CEL many times. Found out the rubber o ring gets dislodged and leaks when I install and take off hose. So FP sent me a new hose because I think it is a design flaw, and I have put a small amount of grease on the hose connector when I install. So far that solved that problem. I recently installed the driver's side and the CEL came on and I couldn't find any leaks. Found out that the driver's side was full to top on oil. I cleaned out and no CEL. I track my car so I wanted to do the Ford manual recommendations in case an issue and I need the warranty. I would really recommend the drivers side being done if you have an ecoboost.
Thanks for the info Tim

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Even for daily drive? Why does Ford deliver like this ?
I would assume it's because they didn't feel it was significant to add one.
The harder you drive the more you would benefit IMO.

Last edited: