Sponsored

Installed Bilstein Shocks on 2019 GT Rear

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
CJ Pony had a great Video of installing Koni adjustable, and it helps how to do the rear. On Bilstein shocks the shaft is bit larger than OEM, 18mm vs 12mm. So you'll have to enlarge the rubber bump stop inside the dust shield. Don't be impatient and buy a 3/4inch drill bit from local HW store, and order a 18mm from Amazon. The 18mm will enlarge the hole just right, but it goes on the Bilstein shaft tight so it will stay up at the top. You cannot end up with too large a whole as it will slip down and not keep the dust, mud and dirt off the shaft.

Drilling 18mm hole on bump stop was challenging. The best way is to place your 18mm drill bit on a drill on gas stove to get the drill bit hot, not glowing red. Then, as you drill do the in-n-out motion and rubber will get shaved off. Don't drill too long to shave off too much. Stop and fit it over the Bilstein shock shaft for fitting. It it goes in hard, it's good. Go install it.

Upper bolts 18mm, torque 66#; Lower bolts 15mm, torque 35#; shock stud rod nut 22#

As for the front struts, I am taking it to a garage. Two Bilstein struts and install, plus alignment will cost me $1,055. But, I will love the Bilstein ride.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
2015 V6 .. put Bilsteins on the back, and was able to reuse the boots no problem. Didnt have to fight it on at all. Installation was very straight forward.
Issue I had was the rear end had a wiggle accelerating out of twisty road turns.
Now I feel the rear end get a bit light then hookup and go. So much improved feel than the wobbly feel before,

Question is I bought the ford performance toe/knuckle bushings from reading notes on this forum. Videos show it as either easy, or a nightmare. Before I dig in, I'm willing to take it on regardless, but is there any downside to installing them? Not planning any other suspension mods as its a daily ... other than bilsteins on front.

Thx

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have the FP bushings installed and cannot tell of any downside. The NVH increase was close to none (if any). The install for me was a pain. The hardest part for me was making sure that the new bushing was going in straight. Probably took 4-5 hours per side.
Sponsored