Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
What did that involve? Did you have to make a plug/jumper for the harness?

I found this, looks pretty decent.

s-l640.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/i/173158632311...rl1wCscxlFCzFNnOLnyARdRGXthJyX3hoCMWgQAvD_BwE

And another one a little less eBay'ish:

wms-rlt56.jpg

https://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/wm...profile-tremec-t-56-transmission-details.html
What did that involve? Did you have to make a plug/jumper for the harness?

I found this, looks pretty decent.

s-l640.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/i/173158632311...rl1wCscxlFCzFNnOLnyARdRGXthJyX3hoCMWgQAvD_BwE
l
I used the eBay one and I believe so did Ruiner46

There isn’t anything you need to do electronically. Just unbolt the lockout solenoid and put this in its place. It provides plenty of resistance mechanically so you don’t accidentally go into reverse.
Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
So there's no risk of throwing a code or anything like that?
No risk. It’s the same as having the lockout solenoid disconnected.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Hm okay well it's good to have options, if the clearancing I did isn't enough (which I think it will be given the trans will sit 1/2" lower than normal) then I'll do the delete and cap the harness in case I needed to go back for any reason.

Honestly I've had a lot of MT cars and I can't imagine all of them had a lockout solenoid on the trans, so it doesn't seem like much of a risk here.

Calvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
Hm okay well it's good to have options, if the clearancing I did isn't enough (which I think it will be given the trans will sit 1/2" lower than normal) then I'll do the delete and cap the harness in case I needed to go back for any reason.

Honestly I've had a lot of MT cars and I can't imagine all of them had a lockout solenoid on the trans, so it doesn't seem like much of a risk here.
I've had the RDE lockout with the stiffer spring for close to 2 years no problems. It does take some effort to get into reverse since I have the MGW shifter with a shorter shaft. It is nearly impossible to accidentally get into reverse unless you really strong arm shift into 5th which I don't see why anyone needs to quick shift into overdrive.

I originally made my own mechanical lockout to run since USPS kept looping my RDE lockout all over the 49. That is pretty much the only gripe I had was that RDE ships it in the smallest envelope with a shrunken shipping label. USPS ended up rubberbanding a popsicle stick to the package to keep the label flat when i got it.

I'm also 29 pages late to this thread lol. Hi Dave (db252)

Sponsored

Calvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
Lol, good to here from you. Now quit playing with trucks and get back to the Mustang.
Haha I've got things I plan to do still on the Mustang, just been busy. Going to be adding a Bronco to join the stang next year.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just wanted to share the following:
For the 113mm pinion flange https://www.sonnax.com/parts/5055-6-bolt-adapter-flange-yoke-kit

For the 110mm pinion flange https://www.sonnax.com/parts/5058-6-bolt-adapter-flange-yoke-kit

I bought the 113mm flange for my car and its a beautiful billet aluminum piece.

Reason I’m sharing is companies like DSS will tell you to swap your 110mm flange to a 113mm flange, like I unfortunately did before educating myself. So just know that you can get a flange for either size of pinion flange and it’s lightweight aluminum and about $100, instead of the piece of shit cast iron on the DSS driveshaft.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
FYI the QA1 driveshaft from MDL for this swap uses SONNAX yokes. The aft yoke doesn't seem to appear on their website, I guess they make that for MDL only.

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Okay y’all I need help. This Bowler harness isn’t right. I’ve triple checked all my wiring. When I turn the car to accessory the Bowler harness seems to just cycle on and off about every 3 seconds at a steady pace, clicks the reverse lockout solenoid once each time. I can see the unit in the app, and occasionally I’ll get the timing just right so it’ll briefly connect, but then it just disconnects right away. Most of the time it just won’t connect. Can’t do anything with this, could I be missing something or should I call Bowler?

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Okay y’all I need help. This Bowler harness isn’t right. I’ve triple checked all my wiring. When I turn the car to accessory the Bowler harness seems to just cycle on and off about every 3 seconds at a steady pace, clicks the reverse lockout solenoid once each time. I can see the unit in the app, and occasionally I’ll get the timing just right so it’ll briefly connect, but then it just disconnects right away. Most of the time it just won’t connect. Can’t do anything with this, could I be missing something or should I call Bowler?
How is yours wired up? I am directly connected to the three wires that initially came to the trans. I’m sure it’s driving you crazy. Calling Bowler is a great idea as well.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I’m connected the same way, power, ground, and signal from the ECU, with a supplemental ground going to the block and a 3A in-line fuse on the power wire. It’s exhibiting the same behavior now as it did the first time I put power to it, even though I’ve since redone the wiring to add waterproof connectors and fuse holder.

The app guide says to have the VSS unplugged when first connecting via the app. I didn’t do that, and then I did, no change in behavior.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
That baffles me. I’ve installed 4 of these Tremec Magbum XL’s and all with the Bowler harness and not one issue or hiccup. Definitely call them.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
I’m connected the same way, power, ground, and signal from the ECU, with a supplemental ground going to the block and a 3A in-line fuse on the power wire. It’s exhibiting the same behavior now as it did the first time I put power to it, even though I’ve since redone the wiring to add waterproof connectors and fuse holder.

The app guide says to have the VSS unplugged when first connecting via the app. I didn’t do that, and then I did, no change in behavior.
My original harness was bad. Bowler had no issues warranting it, but did request a video of what was happening. My second one works great.
Sponsored