corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I will post more pics. as we go. It's still up in the air now but not for long. It's funny how much I got used to the back up camera and took it for granted. Not to mention reverse lights, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alert, different drive modes, traction control, line lock, rev. match, launch control and probably a few more I can't think of at the moment.... ridiculous, just pure 100% stupidity on my part. So please learn from my mistake!!
Sorry to read about your frustrating efforts. Cars are getting far too electronically integrated any more.

At least when I get around to putting a Magnum XL in my '08 there shouldn't be nearly as many "gotcha's".

Norm

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I'm having some trouble getting consistent readings with my dial indicator. I think I got a good measurement on concentric alignment at 0.004" TIR max (lucky me), but every time I try the parallel measurement, I get different results. I'm now looking at other odds and ends while waiting for a new indicator stand to arrive.

What is everyone doing with the black line that runs on the top of the Magnum towards the bellhousing? Is that a vent line or something? Do I just need to secure it and that's it?

Also, I saw something on Bowler transmission's website about blocking off the mechanical speedo sensor port if using the electric, but I don't see a separate hole for a mechanical sensor. Does that not exist on our version of the Magnum XL or am I blind?

One more question, what does everyone use for break-in fluid? I was thinking of grabbing whatever cheap Dexron 3 I can find at Autozone, running that for 500 miles, then swapping to the Tremec MTF.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Can’t help with the dial indicator.

Black tube is vent line and gets secured with a trans to bell housing bolt Using the bracket. It will make sense which one.

Ours mechanical trans input is already blocked.

I used the Amsoil that came with mine as break in and replaced with the same. I have a box of tremec oil ready for when I do the next change.

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
You have to turn the motor over by hand a few times to get the crank thrust movement to settle out, and also be really careful not to put any axial load or moment on the crank, need a buddy with a good technique that understands what you're going for. I had my girlfriend do it and found it worked best to have her just take the socket off the crank bolt when taking readings.

To make sure the mag base is really well seated, take out a flywheel bolt to make a nice flat spot. I used a small Noga stand and it fit well by removing just one bolt, with a large base you may need to take out two.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
You have to turn the motor over by hand a few times to get the crank thrust movement to settle out, and also be really careful not to put any axial load or moment on the crank, need a buddy with a good technique that understands what you're going for. I had my girlfriend do it and found it worked best to have her just take the socket off the crank bolt when taking readings.

To make sure the mag base is really well seated, take out a flywheel bolt to make a nice flat spot. I used a small Noga stand and it fit well by removing just one bolt, with a large base you may need to take out two.
Thank you so much. It was definitely play in the crank throwing my measurements off. I just took two measurements for each location by pushing on the crank from each end by hand. Ended up being pretty consistent. The left side of my bellhousing is out about 5 thousandths. I'll play with some shims and try to make it better.

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hello, I have done quite a bit of modifications to my 2019 Bullitt. The only thing appearance wise is the tinted windows and the side scoops. In my opinion the side scoops make all the difference in the world on all new mustangs. The original Bullitt had side scoops so I decided why not. I also hate the gear lock out I get from 1-2 gear changes so I put a T56 Magnum XL to replace the factory MT82D4 with remote shifter. It fixed the problem alright! The car drives so much better but unfortunately I am having issues with the wiring and have lost so much functionality that it's just not worth keeping the T56. You would not believe the amount of time and research I have done trying to find a solution. As of this morning the Bullitt is back in the shop to swap back the trans, I hate it but after paying that much for a car its just not worth sacrificing all the functions that make the car.
NatesBullitt.jpg
Hey supertorque,

Do you think this harness would have helped in any way?

https://www.moderndriveline.com/sho...magnum-all-in-one-harness-w-reverse-lock-out/

This comes in the kit that Modern Driveline offers.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
One more question, what does everyone use for break-in fluid? I was thinking of grabbing whatever cheap Dexron 3 I can find at Autozone, running that for 500 miles, then swapping to the Tremec MTF.
That's exactly what I did. I figured the Tremec fluid would be the best to run.

supertorque

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Hey supertorque,

Do you think this harness would have helped in any way?

https://www.moderndriveline.com/sho...magnum-all-in-one-harness-w-reverse-lock-out/

This comes in the kit that Modern Driveline offers.
Hello Taylor, No it wouldn't have worked. I called them also. It turns out that the problem is with the Rev. match. The MT82 D4 has a six wire plug coming off of a sensor mounted to the side of the transmission case that works in conjunction with a strong magnet located on the inside of the transmission that tells the PCM what gear it is in and/or what gear the driver is attempting to put it in when downshifting and the PCM then "blips" the throttle to match the speed of the transmission so the downshift is smoother and easier to achieve. It sounds complicated and it is confusing but basically there is no way for the Tremec to provide all of the data to the cars PCM to make it all work together and because the missing data is shared with so many other things you loose so much functionality that it just simply is not worth the trouble. Tremec makes probably the best transmissions in the world and the T56 Magnum XL is no exception. However, because of the newest technology that Ford wants to keep as secret as long as possible, no other transmission will work in place of the MT82 D4 for the 2019 Mustang and I feel safe to say any transmission with the Rev. match option.

Sponsored

supertorque

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Oh yeah, For those of you wondering about how I like the Xclutch, I don't. It's not because of the quality though but rather because it's just overkill in my opinion. The clutch is rated at 1350 ft.lbs of torque and you can tell that it means business! I mean the moment it grabs, it grabs like hell! I'm still stalling it out on a regular basis. lol Not really funny but more embarrassing than anything. I'm no professional but I have way too much experience driving a manual to be stalling my car like I have been. It either grabs and barks the tires or it stalls and in my neighborhood trying not to wake the neighbors going out late at night or simply going to work in the mornings is not possible. So I have become "that guy" of the neighborhood. Great! Just what I always wanted....

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hello Taylor, No it wouldn't have worked. I called them also. It turns out that the problem is with the Rev. match. The MT82 D4 has a six wire plug coming off of a sensor mounted to the side of the transmission case that works in conjunction with a strong magnet located on the inside of the transmission that tells the PCM what gear it is in and/or what gear the driver is attempting to put it in when downshifting and the PCM then "blips" the throttle to match the speed of the transmission so the downshift is smoother and easier to achieve. It sounds complicated and it is confusing but basically there is no way for the Tremec to provide all of the data to the cars PCM to make it all work together and because the missing data is shared with so many other things you loose so much functionality that it just simply is not worth the trouble. Tremec makes probably the best transmissions in the world and the T56 Magnum XL is no exception. However, because of the newest technology that Ford wants to keep as secret as long as possible, no other transmission will work in place of the MT82 D4 for the 2019 Mustang and I feel safe to say any transmission with the Rev. match option.
Bummer.

I guess the only option for 2018+ is the Calimer upgrade.

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Ok boys I’ve hit a snag and I need your wisdom. I’m trying to setup boost by gear with a cortex ebc. It needs a vss signal to accomplish this but ever since I swapped to the t56, I lost that signal since I didn’t buy or make any harness.

So I picked up the bowler trans harness and a cortex speed sensor adaptor to get things rolling.

Here’s how I have everything connected (only worrying about vss for now. I’ll figure out the rest in due time but this is my priority).

Red and green cable from the speed sensor adapter are connected to the vss as shown.
B978821E-20F8-4312-A3B2-8A51655B8228.jpeg

74A4D025-8CEB-4A89-9953-E8A1B43A6D4D.jpeg

Here is the breakdown of how I connected the 3 pin connection from the main engine harness to the rest of the speed sensor adapter. I’ve attached what Cortex outlines.

1C98FA05-A86E-4EA3-B07E-F815AD9C73C9.jpeg

799224B3-F8BF-42DA-8E78-FA5071B45FD0.jpeg

Lastly, connected the power and ground as shown, which were then routed to an appropriate power and ground supply.

45A8AC99-1DC4-4CAC-999D-6C0516FD5FD0.jpeg

Unfortunately when I started the car up, the cortex still could not read any signal for gear or speed.

Any glaring mistakes you see here?

@Plimmer @db252

Tagged a couple of you gurus. Any ideas?

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Uuuuhhhhhhhh, I have no clue. I was lucky I got my three wires correct. I suck at electrical but I wish you the best of luck.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Ok boys I’ve hit a snag and I need your wisdom. I’m trying to setup boost by gear with a cortex ebc. It needs a vss signal to accomplish this but ever since I swapped to the t56, I lost that signal since I didn’t buy or make any harness.

So I picked up the bowler trans harness and a cortex speed sensor adaptor to get things rolling.

Here’s how I have everything connected (only worrying about vss for now. I’ll figure out the rest in due time but this is my priority).

Red and green cable from the speed sensor adapter are connected to the vss as shown.
B978821E-20F8-4312-A3B2-8A51655B8228.jpeg

74A4D025-8CEB-4A89-9953-E8A1B43A6D4D.jpeg

Here is the breakdown of how I connected the 3 pin connection from the main engine harness to the rest of the speed sensor adapter. I’ve attached what Cortex outlines.

1C98FA05-A86E-4EA3-B07E-F815AD9C73C9.jpeg

799224B3-F8BF-42DA-8E78-FA5071B45FD0.jpeg

Lastly, connected the power and ground as shown, which were then routed to an appropriate power and ground supply.

45A8AC99-1DC4-4CAC-999D-6C0516FD5FD0.jpeg

Unfortunately when I started the car up, the cortex still could not read any signal for gear or speed.

Any glaring mistakes you see here?

@Plimmer @db252

Tagged a couple of you gurus. Any ideas?
You're connecting that white output wire to a 12v source coming from the pcm, is what it looks like to me. You can't output 12v to a 12v source.
Sponsored