Sponsored

Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
The magnum doesn't have the right sensor for rev matching. Someone tried it earlier in this thread and he ended up reinstalling the MT82 due to all the problems.

Backup camera just needs the reverse sensor wired correctly I think. Seems weird that the lights would work, but not the camera. Cruise control problems could be the wrong gear ratios in the tune, or the wrong vss count in the bowler harness or in the tune depending on how that was done.
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Can anyone tell me if you still retain the rev-matching functionality when replacing the MT82 with the Tremec Magnum X on a 2019 Mustang GT?
Short answer, no. The MT-82D4 has a black box mounted on the outside that reports gear selection to the PCM.

Wratchet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The magnum doesn't have the right sensor for rev matching. Someone tried it earlier in this thread and he ended up reinstalling the MT82 due to all the problems.

Backup camera just needs the reverse sensor wired correctly I think. Seems weird that the lights would work, but not the camera. Cruise control problems could be the wrong gear ratios in the tune, or the wrong vss count in the bowler harness or in the tune depending on how that was done.
Trying to identify the reverse sensor wire. Got under there today and the reverse lights work but are not tied to the original harness they are independently wired through the bowler and switched 12v. From what I have read the camera should always have power to it and I don't. Ordered a wiring diagram book today so hopefully can shed some light. Can't figure out what ford was using for the trigger and where I'm losing power for the camera. Spoke with Bowler today and they couldn't help with the camera but did point to the cruise control being in the gear ratio/tune which I figured.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Trying to identify the reverse sensor wire. Got under there today and the reverse lights work but are not tied to the original harness they are independently wired through the bowler and switched 12v. From what I have read the camera should always have power to it and I don't. Ordered a wiring diagram book today so hopefully can shed some light. Can't figure out what ford was using for the trigger and where I'm losing power for the camera. Spoke with Bowler today and they couldn't help with the camera but did point to the cruise control being in the gear ratio/tune which I figured.
There is no reverse sensor wire (2019), the "gear selected sensor" tells the PCM what gear the transmission is in. The rear camera gets power through fuse 66 but is controlled from the BCM.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Just to make sure I understand, you are saying that the reverse light wiring goes straight from the reverse light to the bowler harness? Like you have wiring from the rear bumper to your transmission? I don't have the bowler harness, so this is just a guess, but it sounds like you shouldn't be using the harness for reverse sensing. If the harness was installed to power the reverse light from the switched bowler harness output, then the car's computer doesn't know when the transmission is in reverse. It sounds like the harness that originally connected to the MT82 reverse sensor was not hooked up. If this were my car, I'd return the reverse light wiring to factory and connect the reverse sensor wiring that originally went to the MT82 directly to the tremec sensor (bypassing the bowler harness).

The other possibility here is that you have the issue with the trunk wiring to the camera that is supposed to be fixed in the Ford recall. The harness can get damaged with enough use of the trunk because Ford made the harness too short. Might want to check that before you get too far rearranging wiring.

Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
There is no reverse sensor wire (2019), the "gear selected sensor" tells the PCM what gear the transmission is in. The rear camera gets power through fuse 66 but is controlled from the BCM.
This does not apply to 2015-2017. In those years, there is definitely a reverse sensor. If this is an install with a car that originally had the gear sensor, then there will be a lot of problems from deleting it.

Reactions: boB

Wratchet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just to make sure I understand, you are saying that the reverse light wiring goes straight from the reverse light to the bowler harness? Like you have wiring from the rear bumper to your transmission? I don't have the bowler harness, so this is just a guess, but it sounds like you shouldn't be using the harness for reverse sensing. If the harness was installed to power the reverse light from the switched bowler harness output, then the car's computer doesn't know when the transmission is in reverse. It sounds like the harness that originally connected to the MT82 reverse sensor was not hooked up. If this were my car, I'd return the reverse light wiring to factory and connect the reverse sensor wiring that originally went to the MT82 directly to the tremec sensor (bypassing the bowler harness).

The other possibility here is that you have the issue with the trunk wiring to the camera that is supposed to be fixed in the Ford recall. The harness can get damaged with enough use of the trunk because Ford made the harness too short. Might want to check that before you get too far rearranging wiring.
You got the problem right, that was my line of thought as well. Since all this was done by someone else and I can't find anything on the wiring harness to decipher what is what will wait till wiring schematic comes in and give it a try.
The trunk wiring was the first thing I checked and didn't find anything broken there. I have power on both sides of the fuse at the engine bay, just got to run the rest of the harness and figure out where I'm losing it.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I have some wiring diagrams saved from random places, this one says it's for a 2017. If this diagram is accurate, you're looking for a blue wire with a grey/violet wire.

If I remember correctly, all the wiring for the transmission came from the passenger side of the engine near the starter in one bundle to the transmission.

reverse.PNG

Wratchet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have some wiring diagrams saved from random places, this one says it's for a 2017. If this diagram is accurate, you're looking for a blue wire with a grey/violet wire.

If I remember correctly, all the wiring for the transmission came from the passenger side of the engine near the starter in one bundle to the transmission.

reverse.PNG
Thanks for this Ruiner46! Got it squared up today thanks to the diagram you provided. Camera and reverse lights working like stock now.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
So did you end up using the bowler harness or just tie into the signals that were there?

Sponsored

Wratchet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So did you end up using the bowler harness or just tie into the signals that were there?
Tied the vehicle harness wires directly into the reverse switch. Did not use the bowler reverse light wiring circuit. Am still using the bowler for vss and reverse lockout solenoid.

Last edited:

xgxbulletxgx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Anybody have the bellhousing dial indicator plate that wants to sell it? (In or near WI would be great too) I’d hate to spend almost $100 for something I’ll probably only ever use once.

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Where in wi? Pm me. You could possibly barrow mine. I am in Minneapolis area.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Asking a silly question to any T56 users in states using CARB emissions. Has anyone failed an emissions test due to a modified tune that only changes the gear ratios for the transmission? California people?

I live in Colorado and I hear that new CARB regulations check for modifications to a CARB approved tune. I have a Whipple CARB approved tune, but if I modify it to change the gear ratios, will I fail this emissions check?

Also, what happens when the gear ratios and OSS count are wrong in the tune? Does the car pop a check engine light or drive weird so that it won't set the readiness monitors? I can't believe I have to ask this garbage. Failing an emissions inspection for swapping the transmission is ridiculous.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Asking a silly question to any T56 users in states using CARB emissions. Has anyone failed an emissions test due to a modified tune that only changes the gear ratios for the transmission? California people?

I live in Colorado and I hear that new CARB regulations check for modifications to a CARB approved tune. I have a Whipple CARB approved tune, but if I modify it to change the gear ratios, will I fail this emissions check?

Also, what happens when the gear ratios and OSS count are wrong in the tune? Does the car pop a check engine light or drive weird so that it won't set the readiness monitors? I can't believe I have to ask this garbage. Failing an emissions inspection for swapping the transmission is ridiculous.
Run it on the original CARB Whipple tune for the emissions test if you're concerned. I have run my Magnum swap on the original whipple tune while troubleshooting a few things. Your speedo will be off, cruise control will not work and it will rev hang between shifts. The rev hang is a bit annoying, but it's totally drivable. No check engine light and the emissions monitors will all go green.
Sponsored