Sponsored

Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Threw Tilton a curveball when I told them the alignment tool they had in the kit was the wrong pilot diameter - it's for a GM 19/32" pilot instead of the Ford Modular 17mm pilot. Apparently they had been shipping the wrong alignment tool in the Ford kits for a while. Their product is gorgeous and engineering is second to none, but that packaging department needs some help. At least their customer service and technical departments are on the ball.

That said, in lieu of them ordering another plastic POS alignment tool from Summit to ship to me, I picked up this HOSS clutch alignment tool from Ram that's tailor-made for multi-plate clutch installation. As much as I've spent on this job so far, what's another $50 right?

ram-03-013.jpg
Ram supplied one of those with my clutch kit and it's awesome!
Sponsored

supertorque

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Okay, the conversion kit came with what they call a speedo conversion and reverse lock out pigtail which I don't think we used. Now that you mention it he did say the the speedo was coming off the front passenger tire. Regardless of all that, I contacted Doug Kovach at Tremec and he was extremely helpful. Doug referred me to Silver Sport Transmissions. They in turn referred me to Dakota Digital. Scott Johnson is very helpful as well and said "Although we haven't tested this exact application on a vehicle to be sure, our SGI-100BT would be the nearest product to handling this sort of signal manipulation." So, I am going to go that route and will keep everyone posted. I have become complacent in the recent COVID19 confusion and just was hoping for an easy fix someone could share but I guess I'm the "guinea pig" sort of speak. Thanks again for all the input db252 and ponie1992. At least now I have a place to go for info and sharing my frustrations and hopefully progress.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't think the speedo signal comes off the front passenger tire, otherwise it would read 0 mph when doing a burnout or dyno pull, which isn't the case.

upload_2020-4-30_17-5-35.png

supertorque

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Thank you Colin but unfortunately the 2019 Bullitt comes with the newer MT82D4 transmission and is not wired the same. Believe me when I say I have looked at every single part available (all 482 of them) on Fords website and many others. Apparently the car is to new and a lot of the parts are not listed yet. Even the parts department at my local Ford dealer can not find the sensor I need. I am going crazy trying to find this elusive part. I guess I need to get in touch with a Ford tech. that knows about the newest generation of the MT82 but they all probably speak Mandarin Chinese. hahaha (but seriously).

Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Thank you Colin but unfortunately the 2019 Bullitt comes with the newer MT82D4 transmission and is not wired the same. Believe me when I say I have looked at every single part available (all 482 of them) on Fords website and many others. Apparently the car is to new and a lot of the parts are not listed yet. Even the parts department at my local Ford dealer can not find the sensor I need. I am going crazy trying to find this elusive part. I guess I need to get in touch with a Ford tech. that knows about the newest generation of the MT82 but they all probably speak Mandarin Chinese. hahaha (but seriously).
I thought the MT82D4 was used in all 2018+ Mustangs. They changed the gear ratios, but it seems unlikely that they would change the sensors. What is different about a Bullitt vs a normal GT with the transmission?

Some clarifications of your past posts. All of the prior year mustangs use a digital output shaft sensor (or vehicle speed sensor). The OSS is used for various things in the tune for torque based control, cruise control, etc. The speedometer itself is on a rear wheel ABS sensor I believe, so it should always be accurate unless you change rear gear ratio, or tire size. Main point here is that the OSS is digital, not analog, and I can't think of any reason why Ford would want to make it unique for the Bullitt. I could be wrong.

What changes when you get a T56 is that the sensor has a different pulse count. This is how many pulses it puts out per revolution. Stock sensor is 36 pulses, while the Tremec is 12. This can be changed by either changing the tune using HpTuners or something like that. Or you can get the conversion harness from Bowler or Dakota Digital. All it does is convert from one pulse count to the other.

The stock OSS is also a 3 wire sensor, where it uses power, ground, and signal. The tremec sensor is 2 wire, just signal and ground. With my personal install, I am going to try to wire the sensor in without the conversion harness and just change the tune to see if it works. If not, I will try the Bowler harness.

The real question is what did your mechanic do with this sensor? If he used a conversion harness, then maybe he didn't set up the pulse count properly in the harness setup. If he didn't use a conversion harness, then how did he connect the 3 wire pigtail to a 2 wire sensor? Sounds to me like you are getting the run-around from someone who has no idea what they are doing...

supertorque

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
You may be right about the speedo from the front wheel. But he did mention that it came from one of the wheels. I don't know where I got that from. Sorry for the misinformation Colin. I'm no expert and am not here for any other reason than to find answers.

supertorque

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I am not sure what the difference is in the transmissions but I know I'm not the only one who is having this problem. The Bowler harness will not work. I called them and that is exactly what they told me. I don't know why the speedo keeps being brought into this. When the car is put into reverse the camera and reverse lights get a signal to come on from the ECM. They don't just get turned on because of a sensor. The sensor tells the ECM what gear it is in and then it does what ever needs to be done like rev. match, backup camera, reverse lights and whatever else. That is how I understand it. I've also found out thru a lot of reading that the ECM is made by Bosch and the whole system works differently now. Again, I'm no expert but I can not find the sensor I need to put it back to factory and Dakota Digital doesn't even know for sure if there product will work for sure. However, my next step is to try the SGI-100BT from Dakota. I also find it strange that JPC racing does not show the 2018-2019 Tremec T56 Magnum XL complete conversion kit on the website. Why not? Most likely because of the electronics issue I'm having. When I bought the kit I was told all I had to do was to make room in the tunnel for the reverse lock out on the T56. Just to be clear and avoid any confusion, I either want to get the OEM sensor to put the original trans. back into the car or preferably find a way to make the T56 properly interface with the cars ECM and regain all my functions.

supertorque

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
One more bit of information. The sensor is called a selected gear sensor and is a no contact sensor meaning it gets its signal thru the transmission case magnetically. It just bolts onto a flat surface on the trans. and plugs into a 6 pin connector that leads straight to the ECM.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I mentioned that the speedo was on a rear wheel sensor because it was mentioned above that if it was on a front, then it wouldn't show speed during a burnout. That doesn't really matter anyway.

The OSS is also a no-contact sensor. It's just a magnetic pickup reading teeth on a gear. Seems weird that someone from Ford can't help you. I still find it strange that the Bullitt would have stuff that the normal GT doesn't have. Are the Bullitts the only models with rev-matching? The picture that aleccolin posted was for a 2019, so you would think that it would show everything.

The ECM turns on that reverse stuff because it gets a signal from the sensor on the transmission that tells the ECM that it has been put in reverse. So, in a roundabout way, the sensor does control the backup camera and reverse lights. On the older models, it is just a 2 wire open/short sensor to detect reverse.

Could you maybe get some pictures of your old transmission and all of its sensor locations? Are there 3 sensors or more? Does that selected gear sensor have 6 wires coming out of it (all 6 pins)? If so, that is a lot of wires for a single sensor. It could be that they combined multiple functions into one sensor. Also, is it located in one of the locations in the picture above? Like 7H103 or 6G004? 6G004 says "sensor assembly" so that could be a sensor with multiple functions.

Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
@supertorque So, I think I found the sensor, but the news is not great. It appears that the sensor is only sold as an assembly with part of the transmission. Maybe the Ford dealer can help you further. See the picture below. I highlighted in yellow the assembly that comes with the sensor included. The sensor is the red piece in the highlighted area. Part # 7210

sensor.PNG

supertorque

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
YES YES!! Thank you. Now I am getting somewhere. This is why I joined this forum for. You guys are awsome! Especially you Ruiner46. Thank you for your patients and curiosity. !! I am forever in your debt and respect your experience. It’s a hard thing to explain something technical especially when skepticism is present. This is such a new problem that the ford parts dept. is not even aware of it and They looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe we should start letting people know or find a solution that would allow such a mod and charge money for the intellectual property. Joking of coarse.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
What I would do is see if this sensor assembly shares the same color code wire for the VSS. 15-17 use a brow/green wire for digital signal to the PCM. I can try to get my buddy (Ford tech) to find me a wiring diagram. Here is a pic of the sensor plug from the other thread.
mustang_2_20200422_120234_resized.jpg