Sponsored

Installed a new set of Pilot Sport 4S on GT350R - completely lost that "sharp" feeling. Car does not feel stable anymore

SRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Viper, '21 M2 Competition, '22 S1000RR
Sounds like operator error. I have hit enormous potholes that should have ripped the control arms off with no issues.

Michelin blow out on potholes 10% of that.

Tempted to try Michelin again just to see plus they look good and clearly the status tire haha.

I don't mind the traction of pirelli because the computer is not fast enought to catch a step out and neither are my reactions. I like traction loss forwarning

I suppose if there is a $400K prize money with pros who can extract every 1000th second from a better tire it matters.

I just care about NOT blowing side walls and ruining rims LOL.
You're the only one mentioning pirellis in this thread, I only replied because my experience with them in two different power level cars sucked, like total garbage. Which is why nobody even brings them up except you.

I've purchased USED Pilot Super sports that performed better than pzero grips, I even had to plug one of the tires since I ran over a nail. Ended up selling those plugged tires, to get new ones. What ever car I get next if they come with pzero grips, Im ditching. I just hope when it comes to debeading them, the side wall doesnt get punctured. I'd love to recoup what I spent on a much better tire.

Lucky for me Michelin isnt the only tire available for Viper's 355 wide 19s.
Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
So I have a 2019 R and let me tell you - the tramlining is still there with the SC2 - but basically completely gone with the PS4S. Is it worse on 2015 to 2018s?
Maybe it was just the 2020 model then that got the updated knuckles. I thought the 19 did too but I could be wrong. But yes the tramlining was all gone with the PS4 tires.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Try 32psi and a few more miles on them before giving up hope. I have 20" GT500-spec PS4S on my 350R and they still feel very sharp and crisp in terms of turn-in. But don't forget you are going from worn down near-slicks to fully treaded brand new street tires so there will definitely be a loss of sharpness.
New tire tread blocks will have a tendency to "flex" more than a well worn tire, plus the other significant difference from the compound itself, is that the sidewall is stiffer on most "R" compound tire according to our friends at the Tire Rack.

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
The dealer where I bought my used '18 R thought the Cups were worn out, so he replaced them with new 4S before I bought it. It is recommended to run the Cups at 28psi on the track, so I run the same with the 4S. I also have Ground Control camber plates in the front and Steeda camber arms in the rear to get the full range of camber adjustment. Seems very well planted, but my track skills may not challenge it much. šŸ˜

IMG_1756.JPG

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
Iā€™m a bit late to the party but hereā€™s my 2Pā€™s worth. This was a common complaint on the BMW M cars when the PS4S was introduced. Owners swapping from the PSS to the PS4S assumed they were getting an improved tyre but came away disappointed. The consensus was that the softer, squarer sidewall on the PS4S compared to the stiffer slightly stretched profile of the BMW spec PSS led to the sensation of a less sharp turn in along with the squidginess that youā€™ve described.

Sponsored

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
305/30. 25-30% off when you buy thru USAA. The only downside of sc3 is they don't have huge size selection and it's better in 20" than in 18 or 19. But they cover the most important sizes.
You can buy tires through Usaa?!

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Give the tires some mileage. All tires the first 500 miles with the lubricant that keeps allows them from coming out of the mold can permeate the tires. Give it 500 miles and report back.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Iā€™m a bit late to the party but hereā€™s my 2Pā€™s worth. This was a common complaint on the BMW M cars when the PS4S was introduced. Owners swapping from the PSS to the PS4S assumed they were getting an improved tyre but came away disappointed. The consensus was that the softer, squarer sidewall on the PS4S compared to the stiffer slightly stretched profile of the BMW spec PSS led to the sensation of a less sharp turn in along with the squidginess that youā€™ve described.

My E92 M3 originally had Mich PSS on them, they wore out and I moved on to PS4S and noticed this right off the bat. However, after a few hundred miles the tires seemed to stiffen up and lost some of the looseness. I was running 275/30/19 and 295/30/19 on 19X10 and 19X11 wheels.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You can buy tires through Usaa?!
yes, member perk. You log into usaa.com, follow membership benefits and redirects to goodyear.com with a special cookie which is worth 20-30% off. Currently 25%

Thor 142

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
I have 325 on the rear and 295 on the front. Stock wheels. They feel great on the street. I'll tell you how they perform on the track Saturday when I get home.
Update for you,
Although the SC3"s I have on the 350 are not stock size they performed great on track saturday. I was reluctant to change out the fronts even though they showed some wear before track day and I got a solid 3 sessions out of them before the fronts got greasy. Mind you I think I had the pressures a bit high as well. All in all I really liked the SC3's I pushed them hard and untill the last few laps (sun was out in Phoenix and it was around 100) they held up great. And I have no idea how many miles were on them. I'm definitely replacing the set with SC3's. You could literally stick your hand on them after the session and they felt like hot fly paper.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You could literally stick your hand on them after the session and they felt like hot fly paper.
it's interesting that with motorcycle tires, you can't actually touch them when you come off the track with a bare hand or you're likely to be a bit sorry.

Thor 142

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
it's interesting that with motorcycle tires, you can't actually touch them when you come off the track with a bare hand or you're likely to be a bit sorry.
Hahaha, oh for sure. I mean it's not like you could hold your hand on them. But yeah, you could touch them for a second or two and not burn your hand.

melown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R / '13 GTI
Were you using the oem carbon wheels on the 19 R with PS4S?

Yeah... the car is too fun and crazy. If you live anywhere with twisties, you would have to be insane or a grandpa to dull down the experience.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Update for you,
Although the SC3"s I have on the 350 are not stock size they performed great on track saturday. I was reluctant to change out the fronts even though they showed some wear before track day and I got a solid 3 sessions out of them before the fronts got greasy. Mind you I think I had the pressures a bit high as well. All in all I really liked the SC3's I pushed them hard and untill the last few laps (sun was out in Phoenix and it was around 100) they held up great. And I have no idea how many miles were on them. I'm definitely replacing the set with SC3's. You could literally stick your hand on them after the session and they felt like hot fly paper.
You can run them to the cords and still have good fun grip that hasn't fallen off too much.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350