Sponsored

Installation of Sound Insulation

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
Recently I did the boot area and some work on the rear seats area and installed sound insulation. This 2 part video takes you through the journey.

I will eventually do a 3rd part of me driving around and compare the decibel readings using my dashcam footage and a sound meter I have. Unfortunately, the roads are too wet and salty at the moment and the previous readings I have taken were on dry roads.

If someone is thinking of doing this, it will give you a very good idea of how much work is involved and if its worth it for you.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Very thorough job

I used carpet underlay on my boot floor (under the rubber boot mat cut to the same shape) and that made a surprising difference to road noise - the Mustang suffers from quite noticeable rear tyre noise compared to many cars. My son did the same with his Fiesta and the effect was even more dramatic there. Didn't even pay for the underlay as we were having new carpets fitted and there were some suitable off cuts !

It took me 5 minutes to do it and a video is probably not worth it :wink:

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Recently I did the boot area and some work on the rear seats area and installed sound insulation. This 2 part video takes you through the journey.

I will eventually do a 3rd part of me driving around and compare the decibel readings using my dashcam footage and a sound meter I have. Unfortunately, the roads are too wet and salty at the moment and the previous readings I have taken were on dry roads.

If someone is thinking of doing this, it will give you a very good idea of how much work is involved and if its worth it for you.

How much weight did you add in total? I want to do something similar but don't want to add a lot of weight.

OP
OP
V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much weight did you add in total? I want to do something similar but don't want to add a lot of weight.
Total added weight was around 12kg. I drew the line at using one whole pack. 1ft square weighs 0.7lbs. Or 1 meter square is 3.4kg.

Hope you found the videos useful. Drop a like if you did. As always happy to answer questions.

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Total added weight was around 12kg. I drew the line at using one whole pack. 1ft square weighs 0.7lbs. Or 1 meter square is 3.4kg.

Hope you found the videos useful. Drop a like if you did. As always happy to answer questions.
Thanks pal. I can weigh up my options from this. Video was very helpful :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very thorough job

I used carpet underlay on my boot floor (under the rubber boot mat cut to the same shape) and that made a surprising difference to road noise - the Mustang suffers from quite noticeable rear tyre noise compared to many cars. My son did the same with his Fiesta and the effect was even more dramatic there. Didn't even pay for the underlay as we were having new carpets fitted and there were some suitable off cuts !

It took me 5 minutes to do it and a video is probably not worth it :wink:
haha yes, that is also an option but i wanted something proper so i could get all around. :D

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I did my entire floor with Dynamat and Dynaliner 1/8" and it took ages and yeah the Dynamat is pretty heavy but I also did a rear seat delete. The only thing left that I'm planning to cover is the doors.

IMG_20201025_125820.jpg

IMG_20201025_125830.jpg
IMG_20201220_120926.jpg

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I did my entire floor with Dynamat and Dynaliner 1/8" and it took ages and yeah the Dynamat is pretty heavy but I also did a rear seat delete. The only thing left that I'm planning to cover is the doors.

IMG_20201025_125820.jpg

IMG_20201025_125830.jpg
IMG_20201220_120926.jpg
Hi Pal,

What rear seat delete did you go with? Do you know if the rear seat delete and your sound deadening weighed more or less then the rear seat you removed?

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Pal,

What rear seat delete did you go with? Do you know if the rear seat delete and your sound deadening weighed more or less then the rear seat you removed?
I wanted the GT350R seat delete but annoyingly they stopped making it just before I tried to purchase it, so I ended up with the SVE Rear Seat Delete.

Good question, the rear seats weigh 18.1kg and looking at how much insulation I used, I reckon the insulation weighs more, possibly a couple of kilo more.

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I wanted the GT350R seat delete but annoyingly they stopped making it just before I tried to purchase it, so I ended up with the SVE Rear Seat Delete.

Good question, the rear seats weigh 18.1kg and looking at how much insulation I used, I reckon the insulation weighs more, possibly a couple of kilo more.
Cheers pal, looks a decent bit of kit. Adding a couple of kilo isn't to bad either. Did you remove the rear seatbelts? how does it sound?

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If nothing else the new weight is lower and spread more evenly.

I haven't had a chance to re-run my sound tests but it has noticeably lowered the background noise from outside and it feels more isolated.
Sponsored