Sponsored

Inside the Carbon Revolution Wheel

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It’s a CR 19” wheel from an R model. Not sure it’s from a 2019 R. It matches the wheels on both of my ‘16 Rs.

it makes sense that CR would update the lug nut surface if folks were over-tightening. I torque mine to 100 lb-ft.

Other manufacturers’ hub surfaces may be the reason CR changed the mating surface. Uniformity.
Make sure to also torque your wife's or kid's Accord to 50lb-ft to be consistent with torquing lug nuts to 66% of the required torque.

(DISCLAIMER: Dont do that, and torque your wheels to 150lb-ft. S559s have larger studs and require more Torque).
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Make sure to also torque your wife's or kid's Accord to 50lb-ft to be consistent with torquing lug nuts to 66% of the required torque.

(DISCLAIMER: Dont do that, and torque your wheels to 150lb-ft. S559s have larger studs and require more Torque).
Aaaannddddd queue the silence from all the guys torquing to 100 cuz 150 is “too much”.

OP
OP
Dr. JL

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
I was hoping to add some understanding and spark conversation of the spectacle that is the Carbon Revolution CF 19” wheel. Not start a debate on how to install them.

Last edited:

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
Back on topic. The wheels are amazing engineering works of art and have proven to out perform everything else. Ford Performance offering these on a production car is mind blowing and a sweet deal for the enthusiast for the cost of the R package.
I love mine and use them on the street knowing and excepting the risks. I know many put them on the shelf and get street wheels and most of those wheels never see the light of day again, damn shame. The wheels are what makes an R, so why save them for the next dude? I’m not, that’s for sure. I’m not saving any of this car for the next dude. Matter of fact, I’m going to grab my keys now.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Back on topic. The wheels are amazing engineering works of art and have proven to out perform everything else. Ford Performance offering these on a production car is mind blowing and a sweet deal for the enthusiast for the cost of the R package.
I love mine and use them on the street knowing and excepting the risks. I know many put them on the shelf and get street wheels and most of those wheels never see the light of day again, damn shame. The wheels are what makes an R, so why save them for the next dude? I’m not, that’s for sure. I’m not saving any of this car for the next dude. Matter of fact, I’m going to grab my keys now.
Amen Eric, that's why I bought a 2nd set for the track. I don't want to pay for a weekend HPDE and only get to drive 1 day because my Cup 2's corded, especially when I drive 5 hours to go to the National Corvette Museum track.People ask me all the time why I drive on them and I say the car's suspension is designed for the 17lb wheels, why would I store them on a shelf. That's what insurance is for.

Sponsored

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks for your input as my R was built in may of 2015 and this thread had me crossed up “ coming out of turn 9 at Willow Springs! I’m a believer in anti- seize on the studs and lug surfaces. Step and star torque to end up clicking at 150 lbs exactly. Thanks again as I’m a believer in running my CR wheels all the time. My cars reaction to steering inputs makes it feel 500lbs lighter to me . Love the ride and by ceramic coating them they’re a breeze to keep clean.

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
Thanks for your input as my R was built in may of 2015 and this thread had me crossed up “ coming out of turn 9 at Willow Springs! I’m a believer in anti- seize on the studs and lug surfaces. Step and star torque to end up clicking at 150 lbs exactly. Thanks again as I’m a believer in running my CR wheels all the time. My cars reaction to steering inputs makes it feel 500lbs lighter to me . Love the ride and by ceramic coating them they’re a breeze to keep clean.
Be careful with adding antiseize to lug threads. This adds lubrication to the threads and effectively causes the torque spec to be off. At tracks and in the shop I was always told to NOT add anti- seize to lugs. If they are torqued correctly, and removed periodically (as designed) then they should not seize. I have only had a lug seize to a stud if it was incorrectly torqued (normally due to some monkey with an impact gun just winging it).

Studs and nuts are wear items, so if you are getting thread stretch, it's time to replace.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful with adding antiseize to lug threads. This adds lubrication to the threads and effectively causes the torque spec to be off. At tracks and in the shop I was always told to NOT add anti- seize to lugs. If they are torqued correctly, and removed periodically (as designed) then they should not seize. I have only had a lug seize to a stud if it was incorrectly torqued (normally due to some monkey with an impact gun just winging it).

Studs and nuts are wear items, so if you are getting thread stretch, it's time to replace.
Very interesting to hear about your experience; mine was at button Willow raceway and I wasn’t using any anti-seize; lugs and studs destroyed ; I was changing my street wheels and tires to my track tires and visa Versa: my trans am buddy directed me Anti-seize as he says it’s not only stops the destruction from the heat but it gives you a truer torque as the lug faces are not galling when they are torqued on. ; and now I’ve had zero problems. Any other racing/ track guys use anti-seize like me??

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Would you recommend I remove all 4 and clean off Anti-seize and reinstall or will they be OK as it is now until I do something later

Sponsored

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
Would you recommend I remove all 4 and clean off Anti-seize and reinstall or will they be OK as it is now until I do something later
First, I'm not an engineer. Hence why I tend to just follow manufacturer specs since they are dry torque specs.

Second, now if Ford offered lubricated torque specs and also dry torque specs, then adding anti-seize might be an option (Ive seen this on other bolt types). I have never seen a manufacturer offer lubricated wheel lug torque rating. Cleaning the threads regularly with a wire brush has prevented my lugs from seizing to the bolts. I would rather break a stud than have my wheel fall off. (Ive been behind a guy who lost a wheel on track... not fun)

This video explains what has been explained to me previously. This is why I torque by hand all my lugs and do it dry.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
First, I'm not an engineer. Hence why I tend to just follow manufacturer specs since they are dry torque specs.

Second, now if Ford offered lubricated torque specs and also dry torque specs, then adding anti-seize might be an option (Ive seen this on other bolt types). I have never seen a manufacturer offer lubricated wheel lug torque rating. Cleaning the threads regularly with a wire brush has prevented my lugs from seizing to the bolts. I would rather break a stud than have my wheel fall off. (Ive been behind a guy who lost a wheel on track... not fun)

This video explains what has been explained to me previously. This is why I torque by hand all my lugs and do it dry.
Got it and so glad you caught my error of judgement; thanks and it looks like I’m going to correct it !

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Keep it safe out there! Together and sharing is how we learn from each other.
Ok all done ✅; cleaned both the studs threads and the lug facings! It’s over 100° in the sun here today and I am sweating worn out and just had to take a shower after all that

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Keep it safe out there! Together and sharing is how we learn from each other.
I’m have a couple of lugs that triple click at the end torque? I’m Thinking the stock lug nuts have that outer shell that may be slipping , any opinions?
Sponsored