Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I mean, you also have to consider that 1. The Mustang is a good bit heavier than the Z, thus needing more weight bearing capacity, 2. Nissan outsources for their lightweight wheels, whereas Ford makes them in house (with exception to the CF wheels), and 3. A Z Nismo costs about as much as a PP2 for significantly less performance

But yes, I do certainly wish we could get an ACTUAL forged wheel with less weight when we’re paying $60k for a Mustang
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I mean, you also have to consider that 1. The Mustang is a good bit heavier than the Z, thus needing more weight bearing capacity, 2. Nissan outsources for their lightweight wheels, whereas Ford makes them in house (with exception to the CF wheels), and 3. A Z Nismo costs about as much as a PP2 for significantly less performance

But yes, I do certainly wish we could get an ACTUAL forged wheel with less weight when we’re paying $60k for a Mustang
This is mostly because Nissan hasn't changed the car at all and just kept raising the price with inflation. That said the Q50 and Maxima are not at all near that price and still get a light wheel option.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Meanwhile the 370Z, Maxima, and Q50 have all had wheel weight options that range between 19(19x9in)-22lbs(19x10.5) for over 6 years now. A FAMILY car can have a stock wheel that's forged aluminum and weights like 13-15lbs less than that on a "performance" Mustang, or just 2-3lbs more than a GT350R/500 carbon wheel. How much better would the Mustang MPG, 1/4, stopping distance and road times be if they lost 50lbs at the WHEELS stock?

Depending on the formula used that's almost like taking 170lbs of weight off the car when it's in motion. Basically the difference in having a passenger or not.

Ford brags about how their GT350R carbon fiber 19x10.5 wheels are 17lbs each, and cost 11.5k a set, while Nissans 370Z has 10.5's that are just 22lbs and only cost $1,500 on ebay with rubber. I doubt that the average R/CF package buyer is a good enough driver(if they ever see the track) to EVER notice or take advantage of the 20lb difference, but I'm sure they are willing to spend the 11K to pay for it.

If Ford took some lessons from Nissan in the performance department we'd drop about 50lbs in wheel weight, and about another 20lb in driveshaft weight. Now add onto that the weight from an Aluminum body(more than just the hood/fenders) based on the F-150 technology and you'll start having Mustang GTs back to near 1999-2003 curb weight. I for one would love a 3-400lbs weight drop.
It seems to me that if Nissan took some lessons from Ford Performance, they would use carbon fiber wheels like my R “ as an upgraded package; their alloy wheels move to approximately 1 degree positive camber under track full load conditions because of their flexibility. Three or more pounds Breaking all four wheels at 140 miles an hour takes more brake energy to stop the car. When your Nissan hits a bump it is affected more by the bump because of it sprung it on spring weight ratio because of the heavier wheel and unloads the tire for grip. Then there is the acceleration part ............

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Looks very similar to the current PP2 wheels. And when did a “birdsnest “design become beneficial Or a selling point. A birds nest sometimes can be a tangled mess.

Looks like Ford is running outta ideas and decided to raid the parts bin again.

IMHO the Mach 1 is a few years late and Ford did not do enough to make me want trade my current GT. I will be waiting for the next full makeover.
You may (or may not) be disappointed.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
It seems to me that if Nissan took some lessons from Ford Performance, they would use carbon fiber wheels like my R “ as an upgraded package; their alloy wheels move to approximately 1 degree positive camber under track full load conditions because of their flexibility. Three or more pounds Breaking all four wheels at 140 miles an hour takes more brake energy to stop the car. When your Nissan hits a bump it is affected more by the bump because of it sprung it on spring weight ratio because of the heavier wheel and unloads the tire for grip. Then there is the acceleration part ............
Meanwhile the 370Z, Maxima, and Q50 have all had wheel weight options that range between 19(19x9in)-22lbs(19x10.5) for over 6 years now. A FAMILY car can have a stock wheel that's forged aluminum and weights like 13-15lbs less than that on a "performance" Mustang, or just 2-3lbs more than a GT350R/500 carbon wheel. How much better would the Mustang MPG, 1/4, stopping distance and road times be if they lost 50lbs at the WHEELS stock?

Depending on the formula used that's almost like taking 170lbs of weight off the car when it's in motion. Basically the difference in having a passenger or not.

Ford brags about how their GT350R carbon fiber 19x10.5 wheels are 17lbs each, and cost 11.5k a set, while Nissans 370Z has 10.5's that are just 22lbs and only cost $1,500 on ebay with rubber. I doubt that the average R/CF package buyer is a good enough driver(if they ever see the track) to EVER notice or take advantage of the 20lb difference, but I'm sure they are willing to spend the 11K to pay for it.

If Ford took some lessons from Nissan in the performance department we'd drop about 50lbs in wheel weight, and about another 20lb in driveshaft weight. Now add onto that the weight from an Aluminum body(more than just the hood/fenders) based on the F-150 technology and you'll start having Mustang GTs back to near 1999-2003 curb weight. I for one would love a 3-400lbs weight drop.
Have you driven a Nissan lately? Know anyone who has?
I assure you it is not the company for Ford to be taking any lessons from.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
perhaps but Ford is just lazy and cheap when they don't have to be. Or they come up with ridiculously expensive and complicated solutions when far more rational answers exist.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Lol “ Forged with cast aluminum for a modern, track focused appearance” WTF? So in one word “imposter”? 31lbs for a 19”, they’re not even trying, jeez!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Have you driven a Nissan lately? Know anyone who has?
I have and do, and never been disappointed. In fact I know many more people that actively avoid VW, Audi and BMW than I know those that avoid a Nissan. The 1 time that I have owned a car that was NOT a Ford it was a Nissan and that was because feature for feature the Altima was better than the Fusion, for thousands less. Wasn't disappointed in my decision at all, and recently commented to somone that if I needed a sedan again I'd likely get the new Altima. A good friend of mine is on his 2nd Maxima, 1st lasted over 240k on the original tranny and engine, 2nd has had no issues. 2 other acquaintances have both loved the Maximas as well. Meanwhile I can name 3 GTI owners that all got rid of their cars in under 6yrs of purchase due to engine/transmission issues, and an Audi TT owner for similar.

Nissan may get hate for its CVT, but they clearly are working with a company that does wheels much better than Fords in-house job is doing.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Nah, Nissans are junk. Definitely a brand I warn people to avoid at all costs... and that’s coming from a bit of a Nissan fanboy

VW/Audi are also junk, but I’d 100% buy a BMW over ANY of the aforementioned brands. As long as you follow the maintenance schedule, they’re plenty reliable

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I really like those wheels, but yes they'll be hard to clean. I'd rock 'em. I have black PP wheels so I am used to cleaning a lot anyway.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Not a fan of directional wheels. On one side of the car they look like they’re spinning clockwise but on the other side they look like they’re spinning counterclockwise. Those HREs look better as they’re symmetrical.
good directional wheels are side specific and both look like they are turning the same direction. Sort of like fitment industries new directional wheels they made.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
What's your point?
Because mine was that Nissan wheels are massively better then Ford Performance Pack wheels. I never said that the CF wheels were not better. But unless you are tracking constantly (the MASSIVE majority of Mustang owners are NOT), there is NO added value in them for the price. I would not be amazed if the huge majority of PP2's Bullitts and Mach1's NEVER see a track other than perhaps a few 1/4 runs.

A light weight(22lb) Nissan wheel is about $650 new
A Performance Pack GT wheel(35lbs) is about $600
A 350 R wheel(17lb) is about $2,700

What do you think the average person would be in for? $200 more for better breaking, handling, MPG and acceleration, or $8,400 more?

Protip: Average person ain't rich. At 11k a set + how much they cost to fix/replace, needed a "special machine" to mount rubber on, they are gonna have to REALLY drop in price for me to care about putting them on a daily car that only tracked occasionally.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Nah, Nissans are junk. Definitely a brand I warn people to avoid at all costs... and that’s coming from a bit of a Nissan fanboy

VW/Audi are also junk, but I’d 100% buy a BMW over ANY of the aforementioned brands. As long as you follow the maintenance schedule, they’re plenty reliable
Thats like... any car ever. Don't beat on it, and maintain it and it will run for a decade easily. Depending on how complicated they are. NOTHING was gonna save the Mitsubishi 3000 GT from itself lol.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
VW/Audi are also junk
LOL, weird, because the two VWs I've had were among the most reliable (as in zero issues) vehicles I've owned, and were the first import for me. Most solidly built with the fewest paint/fitment issues too.
Sponsored