Indy 500 tires in the cold?

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm undecided on going with the Indy 500 vs the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ tires. I realize one is an AS and one is not. There is a $500 difference in price so I am wondering if the Indy 500s will do. My driving is fair weather only (up north here) but I would like to get the car on the road early in spring and late fall so it might see temps down to near freezing on occasion but no expected snow or ice. So my question is how bad/good are the Indy 500s in the low temps with perhaps a wet road. I want to avoid a bad experience I had with another car running an ultra high performance summer tire (Continental or Michelin I think) and the back end sliding in low speed corners when it was cold and wet. No track duty expected.
Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interested in that answer, too. I currently run UHP all seasons year round in Texas and am considering the Indy 500s the next time I replace tires. Winters are fairly mild here but we can have temps in the 40s with rain, and occasionally it gets colder than that for short periods. The Indy's supposedly are great in the rain when it's warm but . . . .

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I've got the stock 18" AS tires and wheels but I would rather not swap just for early spring or late fall use. I already have 4 cars to swap winter tires on and off of including my daughters. I almost pulled the trigger on the Michelin AS3 tires which I think might be the right decision. I don't see that there is any fun in pussy footing around in the Mustang when its cool out.
ps tire size is 285/35/19

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
I had them on my 2015 GT vert. I live in Florida (but keep reading), so driving on wet roads and in the rain can't really be avoided. I did have to be a little careful, but that's true no matter what you drive. You can't go driving like an asshole in the rain, but it's not cold and rain, just rain.

Obviously it doesn't get too cold here, but a couple years ago, I did drive up to Maryland & then NY for Thanksgiving. It was cold... not "cold for Florida" but actually cold. It snowed before we got there. There was still snow on the ground in NY as we drove up into the mountains, but no snow on the road. I never had an issue, but again, I wasn't doing any spirited driving up in the mountains either.

So, in my opinion they are okay, but if I lived in that environment I wouldn't opt for them because I don't trust myself to drive that calmly on a regular basis and I wouldn't trust them under spirited driving in conditions that are both cold and wet.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They aren't great for anything sub 45F. They also get hard like most summer tires if not stored in temps above freezing.

Look into the Michelin Pilot All Season 4. 3 is old news now. Has excellent dry performance but also isn't useless in the cold.

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I have had Indy 500s for 3 years now. It's not too cold here very often but sub 30-degree mornings do happen. We also get a fair bit of rain. With that said my back end has never slid out even in pounding rain. I have never had AS3s but I wouldn't hesitate on getting another set of 500's. Also for a summer tire, I have found that they wear pretty well.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'm undecided on going with the Indy 500 vs the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ tires. I realize one is an AS and one is not. There is a $500 difference in price so I am wondering if the Indy 500s will do. My driving is fair weather only (up north here) but I would like to get the car on the road early in spring and late fall so it might see temps down to near freezing on occasion but no expected snow or ice. So my question is how bad/good are the Indy 500s in the low temps with perhaps a wet road. I want to avoid a bad experience I had with another car running an ultra high performance summer tire (Continental or Michelin I think) and the back end sliding in low speed corners when it was cold and wet. No track duty expected.
it seems this question comes up every week and the answers are always the same. Some people will tell you it’s fine, others will not.

Here’s my take after 50 years of buying tires. They are called summer tires for a reason. Manufacturers of summer tires tell buyers not to use them in cold weather. Why? Because they are not as safe as an A/S or winter tire.

Funny, you never hear, “can I use my winter tires in the summer”? Why? Because they do not work properly. Same goes for summer tires in cold weather. Add a little precipitation into the mix and they could kill you.

Why anyone would take a chance on the one part of your car that contacts the road is beyond me but People do what people do.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I have had Indy 500s for 3 years now. It's not too cold here very often but sub 30-degree mornings do happen. We also get a fair bit of rain. With that said my back end has never slid out even in pounding rain. I have never had AS3s but I wouldn't hesitate on getting another set of 500's. Also for a summer tire, I have found that they wear pretty well.
If your not spinning summer tires on a cold wet day you’re not trying hard enough. :giggle: Do you use snow/rain mode?

Reactions: ZPD
OP
OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
...You can't go driving like an asshole ....
there is my problem :)

it seems this question comes up every week and the answers are always the same. Some people will tell you it’s fine, others will not.

Here’s my take after 50 years of buying tires. They are called summer tires for a reason. Manufacturers of summer tires tell buyers not to use them in cold weather. Why? Because they are not as safe as an A/S or winter tire.

Funny, you never hear, “can I use my winter tires in the summer”? Why? Because they do not work properly. Same goes for summer tires in cold weather. Add a little precipitation into the mix and they could kill you.

Why anyone would take a chance on the one part of your car that contacts the road is beyond me but People do what people do.
Been buying tires for 40 years too. Tire technology has obviously changed drastically. A few degrees above freezing isn't winter up here :) I am just talking about a rare journey out when its still below 10C/50 F in the am. I am a big believer in using winter tires for my daily drivers from mid October to mid April.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

Been buying tires for 40 years too. Tire technology has obviously changed drastically. A few degrees above freezing isn't winter up here :) I am just talking about a rare journey out when its still below 10C/50 F in the am. I am a big believer in using winter tires for my daily drivers from mid October to mid April.
OK, I understand. You know what your doing. :like: You'll be fine for an occasional short hop here and there through the 40's. My concern is always tire damage due to temperatures. Will it happen, most likely not but you do not want to be behind the wheel if God forbid......

texaswrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MAGNETIC
Texas here, 2012 GT PP with 500s. First winter with them, and yes, when below I'd guess 50, your spinning. In the rain they are fine. I also switch to rain/snow mode in heavy storms

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe

That's why I added that in there! Not because I know you're an asshole, but because, well, we didn't buy Mustangs for the gas mileage! They are good tires for sure, especially at that price, but given your location and assumed driving style, I might stay away.

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I am just talking about a rare journey out when its still below 10C/50 F in the am. I am a big believer in using winter tires for my daily drivers from mid October to mid April.
IMO I wouldn't worry about using the Firehawks at all in that case. Save your $500 for something else.
Sponsored