BlueOdessa22

BlueOdessa22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 2016 Mazda MX-5 Club
Just got my 2022 ,pp1 10 speed a few days ago. I have around 200 miles and a ways to go for the 1000 mile break in. The manual doesn't say anything about keeping under a certain rpm , just not to drive it for extended trips at the same rpm. Any thoughts if I should keep it under a certain rpm or drive mode? I have still not tried the sport or track modes.
I’m at 630 miles now and took it up to 6k for the first time today, as a Father’s Day present to myself. Totally worth it!
Sponsored

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple
I’m at 630 miles now and took it up to 6k for the first time today, as a Father’s Day present to myself. Totally worth it!
Awesome!! I am still keeping mine under 4000 rpm for now..lol

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
I've had mine for 19 days now and it has seen ~6200 or so (10AT) 3-4 dozen times on WOT to about 130kph (81mph). About 450km (281 mi) on it so far. Just had to try it a few times.

TentacleKitty

Tentacle Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2014 Toyota Tacoma
The manual doesn't say anything about keeping under a certain rpm , just not to drive it for extended trips at the same rpm. Any thoughts if I should keep it under a certain rpm or drive mode?
With regard to engine break-in, I read some interesting information from other members in this forum thread, at this link:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/break-in-procedure.157199/

In the thread above, there is mention about getting the new engine piston rings to seat properly. See this post and the few that follow it:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/break-in-procedure.157199/post-3206532

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
Another thing I noticed is when I go into sport or sport plus there has been a little hesitation in 2nd gear, like it loses power then back to normal. Also in sport plus I am not getting the high rpm downshifts like i did in my 2019 10 speed. It downshifts just like normal mode.

Sponsored

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
I did my only mods Friday, painted the calipers and installed black lugs.

I wanted to let you guys know the factory lugs came off very, very easily, they were way too loose in my opinion.

I did the same thing to my 2019 and remember fighting those lugs to get them off the car. You guys may want to give them a quick check.

IMG_20220619_105020593_HDR.jpg

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Just got my 2022 ,pp1 10 speed a few days ago. I have around 200 miles and a ways to go for the 1000 mile break in. The manual doesn't say anything about keeping under a certain rpm , just not to drive it for extended trips at the same rpm. Any thoughts if I should keep it under a certain rpm or drive mode? I have still not tried the sport or track modes.
I do not believe in the break in thing at all. Unless its clearly stated somewhere or they have a RPM break in limiter (corvettes have this).

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
As people are finally starting to get their deliveries, I wonder how everyone’s experiences with breaking the cars in are going?
I’ve had to adjust quite a bit to the manual transmission due to the dual mass flywheel. I’ve learned that you have to slip the clutch a bit more than I’m used to to avoid horrible mechanical rattles from the drivetrain as things get broken in. Also, same rattles shifting out of 1st and 2nd at lower revs. Brake pedal feel is vastly different, less progressive, here than it was in my GTI and is in my MX-5. The weight and size of the Mustang also took some time getting used to. Although, it definitely shrinks around you as things start moving. The steering feel is horrendous. Front end push in corners is much more pronounced than I’m used to. Nothing a little poke of the gas pedal couldn’t fix, though. The SYNC interface is more clunky than I’m used to with other infotainments. Obviously, all of these observations are only minor inconveniences as I’m completely smitten with her. 😁

D8765DB0-B649-4A4E-A771-369D24A43F38.jpeg
Having owned a early 80’s RX-7 which arguably is more in line with your reference, I’d agree with you. The experience is completely different. If you were not expecting that I can see it being a surprise. The referenced cars are toys ( in a sense) compared to the GT.

OP
OP
BlueOdessa22

BlueOdessa22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 2016 Mazda MX-5 Club
The referenced cars are toys ( in a sense) compared to the GT.
I agree. While my GTI was a little 320hp beast that handled like it was on rails, the way I drove it was much different than the manner with which I drive the Mustang. It almost feels like an automotive right of passage of sorts.
One of the funniest adjustments is to watching my speedometer instead of the tach when opening things up a little. Just the 3,5 to 4k in 3rd gear, for example, takes a lot of brain recalibration coming from boosted cars.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
The referenced cars are toys ( in a sense) compared to the GT.
I have had a GTI, an RX7 and some other small-displacement sports cars along the way. Trying to compare those with my eight Mustangs is very hard, limited to "they all have four wheels and steering wheels." Yes, the Mustang is heavier than the referenced cars. It also has more than twice the power of the GTI and drives the rear wheels. No wonder it's a different experience.

My GTI had a very notchy, direct shifter that had terrible feel. Positive but not satisfying. IMO, the Mustang GT's MT82 isn't bad as a street transmission. Shift feel is good, smooth, very positive. Much better in fact than most Tremecs. I know the MT82 won't take the abuse a Tremec will take. That's fine with me. I won't ask it to. As to the clutch, the S550 with the clutch assist spring is much better than the older "leg day at the gym" clutch that Mustangs have had since the early '80s, again IMO. I am not going to put in the Steeda spring to make the effort higher. As it is, it's easy, smooth and the uptake is linear. Not much more to ask for.

Of my 8 Mustangs (which include a 2015 GT 6A) this 2021 GT 6M is by FAR my favorite. ide, handling, steering, sound, comfort are all very good. I just can't find much to complain about.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Going to agree on the steering feel, especially coming out of a German sporty car. I came out of an BMW E92 M3, and thats the one thing I sorely miss about that car is the steering feelin addition to the sound of that beautiful S65 revving out to 8400rpm. A Ford Racing Track kit and much wider tires on wider wheels did alleviate that some but its just vague. I feel I have tremendous grip but its not very communicative.

Its a little unfair I guess as the BMW M3 still had old fashioned hydraulic steering while the Mustang has EPAS. However, Ford knows now to do EPAS. Just drive a Focus RS/ST or even a Fiesta ST, the steering in those cars are tremendous.

reb0urne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Dark Matter Gray
I did my only mods Friday, painted the calipers and installed black lugs.

I wanted to let you guys know the factory lugs came off very, very easily, they were way too loose in my opinion.

I did the same thing to my 2019 and remember fighting those lugs to get them off the car. You guys may want to give them a quick check.
Very Nice! What set of Lugs did you go with?

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Going to agree on the steering feel, especially coming out of a German sporty car. I came out of an BMW E92 M3, and thats the one thing I sorely miss about that car is the steering feelin addition to the sound of that beautiful S65 revving out to 8400rpm. A Ford Racing Track kit and much wider tires on wider wheels did alleviate that some but its just vague. I feel I have tremendous grip but its not very communicative.

Its a little unfair I guess as the BMW M3 still had old fashioned hydraulic steering while the Mustang has EPAS. However, Ford knows now to do EPAS. Just drive a Focus RS/ST or even a Fiesta ST, the steering in those cars are tremendous.
I had a E92 M3 10 years ago and man I miss mine. Was so disappointed on the F80 generation M3 with losing the V8 and hydraulic steering. The throttle response on that engine was amazing also. Wayyyy better than the mustang haha.

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
Mine is an automatic but absolutely no issues so far!!
How does your sport mode plus downshift on your car? My 2019 10 speed would downshift with high rpms and sounded very cool, but my 2022 is downshifting like it is in normal mode. Not sure if this is because its not broken in yet.
Sponsored