Impressions on new deliveries of 2022’s

BlueOdessa22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 2016 Mazda MX-5 Club
As people are finally starting to get their deliveries, I wonder how everyone’s experiences with breaking the cars in are going?
I’ve had to adjust quite a bit to the manual transmission due to the dual mass flywheel. I’ve learned that you have to slip the clutch a bit more than I’m used to to avoid horrible mechanical rattles from the drivetrain as things get broken in. Also, same rattles shifting out of 1st and 2nd at lower revs. Brake pedal feel is vastly different, less progressive, here than it was in my GTI and is in my MX-5. The weight and size of the Mustang also took some time getting used to. Although, it definitely shrinks around you as things start moving. The steering feel is horrendous. Front end push in corners is much more pronounced than I’m used to. Nothing a little poke of the gas pedal couldn’t fix, though. The SYNC interface is more clunky than I’m used to with other infotainments. Obviously, all of these observations are only minor inconveniences as I’m completely smitten with her. 😁

D8765DB0-B649-4A4E-A771-369D24A43F38.jpeg
Sponsored

njlime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT/CS Vert-'18 Volvo XC60-16" MKC
Mine is an automatic but absolutely no issues so far!!

Highvolts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang 289
Love my 2022. No issues so far. Also a manual.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BlueOdessa22

BlueOdessa22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you bought the wrong car
LoL, I bought exactly what I wanted. None of the things I described are actual mechanical issues, or even something that makes me not love driving the Mustang. It’s all just a character of this car.
I still have my Miata for lightweight dynamics and autocross fun. The Mustang is replacing a stage 1+ MK7.5 GTI with suspension and chassis stiffening bits.
Just wanted to share my impressions coming from a slightly different car ownership background, as I am getting used to a much different driving experience.

rhorizon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT in Mischievous Purple
How would you rate the clutch/shift feel of the GT vs. the MX-5? I'm also super familiar with the Miata, but haven't driven a 6MT Mustang in years. Have my '22 6MT on order.

Wingnutzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang EB
Try some different modes, as that changes everything!
LoL, I bought exactly what I wanted. None of the things I described are actual mechanical issues, or even something that makes me not love driving the Mustang. It’s all just a character of this car.
I still have my Miata for lightweight dynamics and autocross fun. The Mustang is replacing a stage 1+ MK7.5 GTI with suspension and chassis stiffening bits.
Just wanted to share my impressions coming from a slightly different car ownership background, as I am getting used to a much different driving experience.

OP
OP
BlueOdessa22

BlueOdessa22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
How would you rate the clutch/shift feel of the GT vs. the MX-5? I'm also super familiar with the Miata, but haven't driven a 6MT Mustang in years. Have my '22 6MT on order.
The clutch feel is also more direct in the Miata. It has a short shifter with a heavier knob and it is fantastic. The Mustang clutch is a bit more vague in comparison. But I have already ordered the Steeda clutch spring. Seems like it makes a huge difference, based on the reviews. The shift feel of the Mustang is actually excellent, in my opinion. Very solid and direct.

OP
OP
BlueOdessa22

BlueOdessa22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Try some different modes, as that changes everything!
I drive in Sport+ mostly. Actually wish I could change settings to start in Sport+, since I can set a timer for the quiet mode. My GTI was configurable where I could select personal preferences for the combination of dynamic chassis settings.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BlueOdessa22

BlueOdessa22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Glad it’s not an odd combination around here! What year is your Miata? I’ve had a couple myself.😁

97B71094-B2E1-4DDD-AB5F-1A6FA287A67B.jpeg

B2552382-74A9-43BC-BB12-174779DC614E.jpeg

fcuboi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium
As people are finally starting to get their deliveries, I wonder how everyone’s experiences with breaking the cars in are going?
I’ve had to adjust quite a bit to the manual transmission due to the dual mass flywheel. I’ve learned that you have to slip the clutch a bit more than I’m used to to avoid horrible mechanical rattles from the drivetrain as things get broken in. Also, same rattles shifting out of 1st and 2nd at lower revs. Brake pedal feel is vastly different, less progressive, here than it was in my GTI and is in my MX-5. The weight and size of the Mustang also took some time getting used to. Although, it definitely shrinks around you as things start moving. The steering feel is horrendous. Front end push in corners is much more pronounced than I’m used to. Nothing a little poke of the gas pedal couldn’t fix, though. The SYNC interface is more clunky than I’m used to with other infotainments. Obviously, all of these observations are only minor inconveniences as I’m completely smitten with her. 😁

D8765DB0-B649-4A4E-A771-369D24A43F38.jpeg
I share in some of your sentiments. In the first two days I’ve owned it, it’s not perfect but I do still love it. I’ve also experienced the rare clunk when going from 1st to 2nd so I try to take it easy (shift at a lower rpm) for a while to help it out. On a couple occasions I’ve noticed a bit of rev hang too. Nothing terrible.

As far as Sync goes, I really don’t think it’s all that bad. A bit laggy sometimes but I like the interface. But, I use CarPlay 99% of the time anyway.

Still I feel I made the right decision. The camaro was probably the closest contender for me but I have always loved mustangs so it beat the camaro out. I also really liked the driving characteristics of the Miata but jeez Louise it’s so tiny, I didn’t really feel comfortable in it.

sirernestshackleton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Focust ST
Haven't taken delivery yet, but I have similar expectations coming from a Focus ST. I only test drove an auto GT, and felt similar about the steering feel. I'm excited to play more with the settings and Magneride on my PP to try to dial it in more. I'm already expecting I'll get a short throw shifter and the clutch spring.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
So I have had mine for a few months now (manual trans). Honestly really hated the transmission at first. It made weird noises when going reserve sometimes, I would get a 3rd gear grind when driving aggressively, and first gear getting going was sometimes jerky. But now the car sits at 1,000 miles and things have gotten a lot better. Maybe its because I learned how to drive the car better and it did break in little.

The SYNC system is good enough for me, I am not really picky anyways. For me I just use the climate controls and play music through Spotify. Definitely prefer the BMW system I had in my Supra more.

Coming from a Toyota supra I am still getting use to the mustang`s "handling characteristics" 😂

Overall its been a great car for me and I even decided to buy a ford extended warranty (8 year/100k mile) few days ago. She`s a keeper! Here is a picture of mine.

IMG_2341.jpg

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple
Just got my 2022 ,pp1 10 speed a few days ago. I have around 200 miles and a ways to go for the 1000 mile break in. The manual doesn't say anything about keeping under a certain rpm , just not to drive it for extended trips at the same rpm. Any thoughts if I should keep it under a certain rpm or drive mode? I have still not tried the sport or track modes.
Sponsored