Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
  • Banned
I wish ford would of made the new mustang smaller and lighter. Much like the size as the original 65/66. I know that it would never be the same weight, but imagine if it was the same size and weight as the original how it would be if it had the 15/16 voodoo, TR3160 and all the other suspension and drivetrain. AWESOME! almost supercar like.
Sponsored

Tucsonturbos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost
easily super car like. power to weight ratio would be insane like a modern version of an AC Cobra.

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
Was talking about this same topic with a buddy who tracks his FR500. Cut 6-8 inches behind the front seats, shorten the trunk by 3 inches, move the engine back 2-3 inches, cut 1-2 inches from front overhang. Bam! 3400-3500lb rocket!

Use thinner metal body, aluminum hood and trunk, CF roof, sound-deadening delete. Bam another 100-150 lbs!

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Was talking about this same topic with a buddy who tracks his FR500. Cut 6-8 inches behind the front seats, shorten the trunk by 3 inches, move the engine back 2-3 inches, cut 1-2 inches from front overhang. Bam! 3400-3500lb rocket!

Use thinner metal body, aluminum hood and trunk, CF roof, sound-deadening delete. Bam another 100-150 lbs!
Sounds like my 370z... minus the CF roof & extra 200hp of Voodoo awesomeness!
:cheers:

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Would have to completely eliminate the rear seat area for this to be possible. If this is really important to anyone you could always build an actual classic 60's Mustang with a modern driveline and suspension. That was actually the plan with my '67 fastback before I ran out of money. Dropped almost $13k in the bodywork alone, almost another $10k in parts.

Already has an aluminum hood as well as front fenders, FYI.

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I wish ford would of made the new mustang smaller and lighter. Much like the size as the original 65/66. I know that it would never be the same weight, but imagine if it was the same size and weight as the original how it would be if it had the 15/16 voodoo, TR3160 and all the other suspension and drivetrain. AWESOME! almost supercar like.
Thats my biggest gripe with the 350. Really wanted to see 3500 lbs for a tech pack and 3400-3450 for the R. That would just be a world beater right there.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
  • Banned
Thats my biggest gripe with the 350. Really wanted to see 3500 lbs for a tech pack and 3400-3450 for the R. That would just be a world beater right there.
I have a track pack and I attend to put my car on a diet. I also have already started my modification parts purchase.

BMR vertical links
BMR toe links
BMR H-arm bearings
FORD PERFORMANCE IRS cradle bushings
DSS carbon fiber drive shaft
HRE P101 wheels
KOOKS or ARH long tubes and off road exhaust
LUND nGauge tuner or possibly the FORD track key
Remove rear seat and install R seat delete
5 point seat harnesses remove factory seat belts
Maybe lighter seats
Stainless Braided brake and clutch hoses
K&N filter and smooth intake tube
Urethane motor and tranny mounts
Possibly supercharger in the future. But I'm more of a naturally aspirated kind of guy and if ford wanted a supercharger on it they would of and that kind of defeats the purpose of the weight so I'll probably not do it.
More when the aftermarket provides more.

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I have a track pack and I attend to put my car on a diet. I also have already started my modification parts purchase.

BMR vertical links
BMR toe links
BMR H-arm bearings
FORD PERFORMANCE IRS cradle bushings
DSS carbon fiber drive shaft
HRE P101 wheels
KOOKS or ARH long tubes and off road exhaust
LUND nGauge tuner or possibly the FORD track key
Remove rear seat and install R seat delete
5 point seat harnesses remove factory seat belts
Maybe lighter seats
Stainless Braided brake and clutch hoses
K&N filter and smooth intake tube
Urethane motor and tranny mounts
More when the aftermarket provides more.
Man those HREs are just eye candy!!!! Just cant see spending that kind of money on rims.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Would have to completely eliminate the rear seat area for this to be possible. If this is really important to anyone you could always build an actual classic 60's Mustang with a modern driveline and suspension. That was actually the plan with my '67 fastback before I ran out of money. Dropped almost $13k in the bodywork alone, almost another $10k in parts.
This is the best way to achieve what this utopia IMHO. You have the small chassis side with the desired weight along with all the benefits of a modern engineered chassis components and running gear.

These classic Mustang's setup like this are just amazing! There was a big block car at the 50th celebration in Charlotte that was built like this and it was beyond jaw dropping. He had about 200k in the car and was asking about 100k as it was for sale.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
In the Mustang future, expect to see it shortened more, weight decreased and smaller displacement powerplants occupying the engine comportment. This is a world car now... Europe will have some say so in the next design.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
This is a world car now... Europe will have some say so in the next design.

I think of it as an American car sold around the world. That American flavor is what makes it appealing. European and Japanese cars are sold around the world as well and they are still quite distinct in their national origin.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
yea I wish they had made it about 10% smaller, that should enable the car to weigh around 200lbs less. We would retain all the great styling in a slightly smaller package, car would be a beast.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Would have to completely eliminate the rear seat area for this to be possible. If this is really important to anyone you could always build an actual classic 60's Mustang with a modern driveline and suspension. That was actually the plan with my '67 fastback before I ran out of money..
There's a guy in Arkansas that has built just this car. I saw a 67 with a 5.0 Coyote in it at a car show in Little Rock a couple months ago. I didn't get a chance to talk to him, but it was done right. I can't begin to imagine the money that went into it.
Sponsored