Sponsored

Im a big noob. Forgot to change the oil filter.

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
Sooo uhh yeah..i drained the old oil, put in new oil, forgot to change the oil filter ☹

Its not the end of the world right? I only have about 7500 miles, and i last changed the oil at like 5k miles i think.

What would be the best move to replace the oil filter?

Get another 10 quarts of something cheap, drain, replace filter, refil oil, call it a day?

Is it catastrophic if i failed to replace the oil filter?

Thanks in advanced!
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with above. It's not the end of the world.

If you're really worried, just do another oil change (with filter change this time 😆 ). Mobil 1 10 qts is only $50

OP
OP

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im gonna just ride this one out, and then do a proper oil change next time 😇

I dont drive very often anymore these days!

Thank you guys for the quick replies!!

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
If it was me, I would go insane till I did the entire change again to include filter. But I overkill my changes doing it every 5k miles with full synthetic Royal Purple.

Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Just change your filter as stated and move on. I know people who actually change their oil filter only and change the oil every second oil filter swap

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Don't get 10 quarts of something cheap. Unless cheap is what you used for the oil change in the first place. ( I won't go there) You can either leave the filter, change the filter and add enough of what you used for the oil change to bring up to the proper level, or drain it all and change the filter and add new oil. It really boils down to what makes you feel more comfortable.

OP
OP

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
id imagine changing the filter with a full pot of oil is....not a fun experience lol

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
id imagine changing the filter with a full pot of oil is....not a fun experience lol
You'll only "lose" the amount in the filter....

Just change your filter as stated and move on. I know people who actually change their oil filter only and change the oil every second oil filter swap
I used to do exactly that in winter beaters eons ago, but changed the oil annually regardless of mileage.....

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
It sounds like you believe that the filter is somehow lower than the oil pan and removing the filter will drain the pan.

Sorry to break the news to you but it won't.

To pass through the oil filter, a pump is used to pass the oil from the pan through the filter. When you remove the filter, only the oil in the filter will come out - what a cup or two at most.

Normally, when I change the filter, I fill the filter and then install it. With the filter in our Coyote engine nearly sideways, that is not the best idea.

I assume this feature is in all Coyote engines where you can hold the gas pedal on the floor and press the start button. This will cause the engine to crank over slowly allowing the filter to fill so you do not have a dry start. I do this for 2-3 seconds. Then you can start the car and check for leaks. Let the car cool down and top off again. Not sure if this is the case with all Coyotes but my '19 GT engine's dipstick reads halfway between the holes for full. Do not overfill. You might want to check where the oil level is before you change the filter and then again after running the engine and return it to the same level.

OP
OP

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
o.

I definitely thought the oil would drain if I removed the filter.

this is great news! thank you for breaking it to me 😇

ill pop in a new oil filter (prefilled with some fresh oil) and check the oil levels and top off if needed.

Thank you all for sharing some knowledge and educating me on this matter!

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
You'll only "lose" the amount in the filter....

I used to do exactly that in winter beaters eons ago, but changed the oil annually regardless of mileage.....
I don't know how many oil changed you've don't but you don't just loose the oil that's in the filter, when you pull the filter a decent amount of oil will drain, not qts or anything but if you have your new filter ready it's not going to be a big deal.
Sponsored