Sponsored

Illuminated Glove Box on 2021 MY

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
no. I'm sorry, but you miss the point either way. The thread is not to rant in vain about cost savings in general. This is clearly inevitable and not something we can impact. I guess it's safe to say that it's healthy for the industry in general. Neither the thread is about all the different ways humans can use to emit some light somewhere. Believe me, I know what a flashlight is, and I'm capable of searching Amazon myself. And yes, I know what money are and how they work.

This thread is about DIY methods to achieve the same (or almost the same) as factory illumination on pre-2021 models. I.e. without clumsy bolt-on options which are sub-par by definition. (They take space and require extra effort to turn them on or off.)

So far, it looks like the part number found by @Bikeman315 was spot on, and I'm thankful for that. Now I need to figure out the wiring. But I'm ham-fisted so I would rather prefer the dealer or independent shop do this for me. Thus, no update from my side yet. But I will get there, eventually.

While I appreciate your sense of humor, it certainly does not contribute to staying on topic. It does however bump the thread up, so please keep going.
If you can't get someone to install or it is too expensive, hit me up and I can help you out.

I have the light in my 2020, swapped out the bulb with a red led, so I have some experience with it. The wiring should be trivial. I have the service manual too for reference.
Sponsored

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
This is a great find. But, does anyone know if the wiring is there for a 2021?
Personally, I would prefer a light in the glove box.
You just need 12V. Even if there's no factory wiring all you need to do is find an always on 12V li e and tap I to it. It's really incredibly easy to do.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Yes, everything other than the recline which is still on a lever.

Forward / back.
Up / down (height).
Up / down (base tilt).
In / out (lumber support - drivers only).

No heating or cooling and no memory.

WD :like:
Dang, didn't know that, or I would have ordered Recaros too. :-/

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Way back in 2010, I bought an F150. There was no light in the center console. I used a mercury switch, which I removed from a low voltage heating thermostat. I used a small strip of LED lighting and ran that in line with the switch and a 12 volt source from the fuse box. The mercury switch was installed in the cover of the console in such a way the switch would open when the console cover was closed and vice versa. It worked quite well. I sold the truck several years later and the lighting was still going strong. 👍

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
The link had a $50 core charge...what the hell is that?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The 2021 MY order guide says that Illuminated glove box is no longer available. I just took a delivery of 2021 GT premium convertible and that's one hundred percent true. The glove box remains dark as hell. This is unfortunate, especially when driving at night. Illuminated glove box would remain one of the things I'll be missing from my 2019 GT.

I hardly believe Ford changed a lot electrically in 2021 comparing to previous years. Most likely, all the wiring and sockets remain in place. Maybe they just saved couple bucks on a lamp and a cord.

Can anyone confirm or disprove my suspicion? Any idea how one could make your own glove box "illuminated"? Thanks in advance!

A candle ?
Sponsored