Results are only viewable after voting.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
All that makes a lot of senseā€¦ part of the thinking for me is something to leave my kids when I go. My dad is leaving me a couple muscle cars and itā€™s going to mean the world to me when I get them, Iā€™d like to do the same for my kids, so part of it is having a bit of an iconic car too. I have a V8 already, that isnā€™t a deal breaker for me.
If you are thinking that this in an investment to pass down, then I would go for the 67 GT350 or the Cuda.

I love my S550, but I have to be honest, these cars are not built to last. The overall construction is that of a modern mass produced vehicle that is designed to have a 5 - 10 year life span. That's just the way cars are made these days. Just read all of the threads where someone snapped a stud removing the strut tower brace or installing hood struts (cheap undersized bolts), or complaints about water leaks (cheap adhesive tape based body seals). And all the high tech electronics (which I love too) will start failing over time and repairs will become nearly impossible with time.

There is no reason a car made back in the 60's or 70's (or even the 20's or 30's) can't be kept running indefinitely as it is not out of the question to fabricate literally anything you need. But cars made in the last 20 years or so are going to be almost impossible to maintain into the future. Sure, there are exceptions, but it is going to take a lot of love and and lot of care and lot of $$$ to make these cars last long enough to pass onto a new generation.

Last edited:

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Downpayment for an Audi R8 for me.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
If you are thinking that this in an investment to pass down, then I would go for the 67 GT350 or the Cuda.

I love my S550, but I have to be honest, these cars are not built to last. The overall construction is that of a modern mass produced vehicle that is designed to have a 5 - 10 year life span. That's just the way cars are made these days. Just read all of the threads where someone snapped a stud removing the strut tower brace or installing hood struts (cheap undersized bolts), or complaints about water leaks (cheap adhesive tape based body seals). And all the high tech electronics (which I love too) will start failing over time and repairs will become nearly impossible with time.

There is no reason a car made back in the 60's or 70's (or even the 20's or 30's) can't be kept running indefinitely as it is not out of the question to fabricate literally anything you need. But cars made in the last 20 years or so are going to be almost impossible to maintain into the future. Sure, there are exceptions, but it is going to take a lot of love and and lot of care and lot of $$$ to make these cars last long enough to pass onto a new generation.
I disagree.

Modern cars are built better. 100% better. Setting aside the complex electronics, the vehicles will last just as long, if not longer, than cars from the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc.

I think you've owned a Fox body. Can't understand how you think an S550 isn't just as durable and reliable.

And FYI, there are more and more companies that specialize in repairing automotive electronics. And that market will grow and time goes by.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I cited a couple of reasons in my post. Overall, I am very unimpressed with the basic construction techniques used. I am not saying my Fox body cars were much better, but I took those cars apart down to bare bones and I never ever worried about snapping a stud and I don't recall adhesive tape being used to seal a body panel manufacturing opening.

I also tore down a '67 Rustang and while no doubt these cars can go downhill, there is nothing that couldn't be cut out and replaced given the right equipment. Same goes for pretty much everything under the hood.

Last edited:

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
No love for the 67 GT350 for reasons other than raw speed?
LOL. I love the 67 but I donā€™t love my Camry and to think that it could blow the doors off the 67 every time I drove it would really tick me off since I paid $100K+ for it!šŸ˜±

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
A lot depends on what you are looking for. If you want performance and a car that you can take to the track, then a newer Mustang makes sense. If you are looking for a long term investment and to own and appreciate a piece of automotive history that you can pass on, then a classic would be the way to go.

Of course it's all just theoretical for me since I don't have a spare 100 grand laying around šŸ˜€

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
Maybe an ERA Slabside, or a 68-69 Formula S Barracuda. Never an e-body 'cuda fan...

Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Cayman GT4
This.

Test drive a few cars, or do a few exotic rentals for a day and see what you like.
Don't discount a few year old McLaren MP412C.... or another model...

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Never an e-body 'cuda fan...
The S550 reminds me a lot of my old 340 Cuda.

I never liked the rear of the 60's barracuda's.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Cadillac cts5-v Blackwing

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Are you open to out of the box suggestions? Drop $15k to get your private pilot's license, then pay cash to buy an older piper/grumman/cessna with lowish hours on the engine.

As for cars, I'll mirror one of the posters above. A DP on an Audi R8.
Sponsored