Sponsored

If you live in a state that requires front license plate, do you rock one?

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I'd rather display a front plate than try to drive like a saint. Just the other day I was going 10 over and passed a cop. I felt lucky he didn't turn around. I don't need to give him another reason.
I agree too. I know some people really don't like the look, but to be honest, front plates never bothered me. I do wish we had the long thin euro style plates here in the US as they seem to blend in a little better with the lines of many cars.
Sponsored

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
I just run a plate. I don't want to worry about it. The car still looks good IMO.
Me too….my state requires it and I won’t be able to get an inspection sticker without it…in fact they make me remove my license plate frame so I remove it prior to inspection

Prymetime1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS,
Cobra Jet is spot on for us NJ....recently pulled over.... asked what for and officer said no front plate ( in traffic being orderly) it was my reason for getting stopped, officer was phishing for something and my car fit the bill. Good thing he didnt check my trunk ;)

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
in jersey here. i have the sto n sho, and the only time i’ve ever put the plate on was when i first installed it to see what it looks like. as expected, looks awful, so it sits in my trunk lol

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'd rather display a front plate than try to drive like a saint. Just the other day I was going 10 over and passed a cop. I felt lucky he didn't turn around. I don't need to give him another reason.
Who said anything about driving like a saint? I meant don't be displaying behavior that shouts you're distracted, drunk, or an inconsiderate prick (lane drifting, cutting people off in traffic, riding everyone's ass, etc).

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Who said anything about driving like a saint? I meant don't be displaying behavior that shouts you're distracted, drunk, or an inconsiderate prick (lane drifting, cutting people off in traffic, riding everyone's ass, etc).
Well, you didn't give any details of what exactly you think the neighbor's daughter does, but I don't worry about anything on your list as far as the police are concerned. I more worry about speeding. Most people drive over the speed limit, and I'm not going to be the jerk that is a rock in traffic just because I don't want to run a front plate.

So the thing about driving is everyone thinks their way is best. Some people think there's nothing wrong with sitting in the left lane traveling the same speed as the person in the right lane, even if that speed is below the speed limit.

Who's inconsiderate? The person blocking traffic or someone who comes up close behind them to make it clear they would like to drive at a higher speed?

Cutting off is an expression that always bugs me. I think it implies that people have a right to the open area in front of their car. It makes me think a person who is getting "cut off" wants to leave a huge gap in front of their car and they also want nobody else to ever change lanes into that gap. My opinion is that people complaining about getting cut off are overly territorial and are not friendly and cooperative in traffic.

If your car is 3 or more car lengths behind someone who is in the left lane traveling below the speed limit, and I come up from behind and pull in between you - will you be upset? My goal is to get the slow person to speed up or leave the left lane so I can pass. I'm not trying to hurt you. If you want to travel slowly in the left lane with a big gap in front of your car you should expect people trying to find ways to get around you.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Well, you didn't give any details of what exactly you think the neighbor's daughter does, but I don't worry about anything on your list as far as the police are concerned. I more worry about speeding. Most people drive over the speed limit, and I'm not going to be the jerk that is a rock in traffic just because I don't want to run a front plate.

So the thing about driving is everyone thinks their way is best. Some people think there's nothing wrong with sitting in the left lane traveling the same speed as the person in the right lane, even if that speed is below the speed limit.

Who's inconsiderate? The person blocking traffic or someone who comes up close behind them to make it clear they would like to drive at a higher speed?

Cutting off is an expression that always bugs me. I think it implies that people have a right to the open area in front of their car. It makes me think a person who is getting "cut off" wants to leave a huge gap in front of their car and they also want nobody else to ever change lanes into that gap. My opinion is that people complaining about getting cut off are overly territorial and are not friendly and cooperative in traffic.

If your car is 3 or more car lengths behind someone who is in the left lane traveling below the speed limit, and I come up from behind and pull in between you - will you be upset? My goal is to get the slow person to speed up or leave the left lane so I can pass. I'm not trying to hurt you. If you want to travel slowly in the left lane with a big gap in front of your car you should expect people trying to find ways to get around you.
Just use your experience in what behavior typically has a cop riding your bumper and you'll have your answers. It wasn't meant to be a trick question.

"Cutting off" is a valid expression. It's typically used when someone pulls out infront of you in a manner that would force you to slam on your brakes, and proceeds to go slower than you were going. It has nothing to do with being "territorial." If the expression always bugs you then you may be using said expression improperly.

Two scenarios come to mind. The first is when I'm driving down a road, with no one behind me, when someone cuts infront of me, from a side road, forcing me to slam on my brakes. Then they proceed to accelerate slowly and drive at or under the speed limit. They could've easily waited the 2 extra seconds for me to drive by but they chose not to. This is done either on purpose or due to a lack of awareness. Neither is good when operating a 1.5T vehicle. The considerate move would've been to wait, if they weren't planning on going faster than me, or punch it so I don't have to slam on my brakes. And please don't use this to lecture me on reading people's intentions because many of these people will be sitting there, with plenty of time to make the turn (seemingly waiting for me to pass), but only do so at the very last possible moment.

The second is when you're in traffic. You're in the left lane going 10 over, matched with the person infront and behind you. The right lane is moving considerably slower. Someone moves in from the right lane, directly infront of you. If they accelerate and maintain that 10mph over the limit, then it's fine. If that person decides to go slower or just the speed limit (which happens quite often), then that is indeed "cutting off." There was a steady line of traffic that is now impeded because of the lane change and was, quite literally, cut off from the faster group.

In your other scenario it's the person driving in the left lane, under the speed limit. There's even road signs dictating slower traffic to keep right. Anyone doing this, who's not turning left in the next mile, is very inconsiderate. My old criminal law teacher openly admitted to doing this to "keep people in line." It was a legitimate power trip for him and sparked quite a debate in the middle of class.

An example of courteous behavior is a move I actually make quite often. There's a few long, two lane, high speed limit roads by me. Some of these have stop lights with a brief passing lane. I'll have someone pull into the passing lane, at a stop light, who clearly is going to try and pass me. Could I blow the doors off of the camry? Absolutely. Would I be an inconsiderate prick, to do so, when I don't plan on driving faster than the camry was going? Absolutely x2. So I don't.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I use the Sto N Sho and I’ve…adjusted…my front plate. Hard to tell I’ve done anything to it when it’s not side by side with the rear plate, but makes it look much less prominent on the front of the car.

77C7BC80-5336-4A23-9A65-4ADD45661B05.jpeg

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I use the Sto N Sho and I’ve…adjusted…my front plate. Hard to tell I’ve done anything to it when it’s not side by side with the rear plate, but makes it look much less prominent on the front of the car.

77C7BC80-5336-4A23-9A65-4ADD45661B05.jpeg
I don`t live in a state that requires the front. But I have always thought this right here would be a great idea. I am guessing its illegal, but they probably won`t notice.

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Mine has the factory plate bracket. I painted it to match the bumper. Looks good...for a factory mount.

CVCashmere

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
Front plate is required by law where I live. I keep my front plate in my trunk. My windows are tinted and not in compliance with the law. I have not had any issues. Case in point; recently I drove 4 car lengths behind a highway patrol officer on a mellow country road going 45 MPH for about 4 miles. I have an X-pipe and I was in sport mode in 4th gear (manual tranny). One could definitely hear me. Finally get to a stop sign and the officer pulls over and rolls down his window. I stopped at the stop sign directly beside the officer. I rolled down my tinted passenger side window and my mid-50's face smiled and said hello. We chatted and I said that I was trying to be respectful while driving behind him. His response was pretty much "it's all good." My window tint, no front plate, loud exhaust and I motored off no problem.

My point in my nauseatingly long post is this: I think the key is to not drive like a knucklehead and if stopped, be polite. I opine that most officers understand that these cars cost a small fortune and owners have worked hard to buy them and if the drivers are not driving or acting like total fools' officers are more likely to move onto bigger issues like safety related violations. My .02.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I don`t live in a state that requires the front. But I have always thought this right here would be a great idea. I am guessing its illegal, but they probably won`t notice.
I assume it’s illegal but less obvious compared to no plate.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
No front plate here, on the Shelby or the daily driver SVR, which the dealer was kind enough to not drill into the front. Since it is a secondary offense, I would rather pay the fine.
76722C08-FBA2-4C6D-96F1-421536E52CE1.jpeg
CA794ED7-8597-4150-B27A-A3585630A057.jpeg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just use your experience in what behavior typically has a cop riding your bumper and you'll have your answers. It wasn't meant to be a trick question.

"Cutting off" is a valid expression. It's typically used when someone pulls out infront of you in a manner that would force you to slam on your brakes, and proceeds to go slower than you were going. It has nothing to do with being "territorial." If the expression always bugs you then you may be using said expression improperly.

Two scenarios come to mind. The first is when I'm driving down a road, with no one behind me, when someone cuts infront of me, from a side road, forcing me to slam on my brakes. Then they proceed to accelerate slowly and drive at or under the speed limit. They could've easily waited the 2 extra seconds for me to drive by but they chose not to. This is done either on purpose or due to a lack of awareness. Neither is good when operating a 1.5T vehicle. The considerate move would've been to wait, if they weren't planning on going faster than me, or punch it so I don't have to slam on my brakes. And please don't use this to lecture me on reading people's intentions because many of these people will be sitting there, with plenty of time to make the turn (seemingly waiting for me to pass), but only do so at the very last possible moment.

The second is when you're in traffic. You're in the left lane going 10 over, matched with the person infront and behind you. The right lane is moving considerably slower. Someone moves in from the right lane, directly infront of you. If they accelerate and maintain that 10mph over the limit, then it's fine. If that person decides to go slower or just the speed limit (which happens quite often), then that is indeed "cutting off." There was a steady line of traffic that is now impeded because of the lane change and was, quite literally, cut off from the faster group.

In your other scenario it's the person driving in the left lane, under the speed limit. There's even road signs dictating slower traffic to keep right. Anyone doing this, who's not turning left in the next mile, is very inconsiderate. My old criminal law teacher openly admitted to doing this to "keep people in line." It was a legitimate power trip for him and sparked quite a debate in the middle of class.

An example of courteous behavior is a move I actually make quite often. There's a few long, two lane, high speed limit roads by me. Some of these have stop lights with a brief passing lane. I'll have someone pull into the passing lane, at a stop light, who clearly is going to try and pass me. Could I blow the doors off of the camry? Absolutely. Would I be an inconsiderate prick, to do so, when I don't plan on driving faster than the camry was going? Absolutely x2. So I don't.
I have no quarrel with anything you said and generally I also agree with most of it.
Sponsored