If the S650 is on a new platform...

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The MT82 will be revised.... or maybe Ford will create a M/T drivetrain without the MT82 that doesn't sound like an Abrams tank. So far none of the above are necessary improvements IMHO. Body refresh, 10-speed auto... okay. Non-shitty M/T driveline... yes.

Advertisement

BmacIL

Enginerd
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The MT82 manual trans will also be revised, don't know the details of what parts exactly. The front fascia is completely redesigned, headlights, grilles, and everything. It's more of a "normal" slanted aerodynamic hood and fascia, not the aggressive 15-17 pseudo muscle look. No changes whatsoever to suspension and chassis.
Not quite accurate ;). Most everything is fully interchangeable with the 15-17, but changes there are, indeed.

BBB

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
Well from your own words, regardless of your employer, you don't appear to have access to that information because none of those things would be just "maybe" or "likely" at this late stage.

Those would be set in stone well before today. Unless by "maybe" and "likely" you mean if the Earth isn't destroyed by an asteroid by then. ;)
Send me a PM, i'll send you a powerpoint presentation of the new engines I built this morning.

EcoVert

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Thread tidied.............keep it on topic, guys :thumbsup:

The '18MY refresh is just that, a refresh, albeit one that will introduce a revised Coyote engine (seems port & direct engine are a go), the new 10-speed auto as well as the refreshed front and rear ends. Don't worry, those prototypes you see wandering around Michigan are the testers......it won't go into production until it's ready ;) It'll still look like an S550 to the casual buyer though, I'm sure. Personally, I think we'll see the quad-tips on the GT only, with an option for them being active (if there's a Mach 1, then it'd get active as standard)

As for S650? I suspect the platform will be similar to S550's, but use more aluminium/lightweight components. It could possible be a clean sheet design, but I suspect many elements of S550 will remain.

As for the 4.8 V8........many media outlets are now confusing the issue. Ford were developing a 4.8 V8, but the DI/Port injection developed for the 5.0 Coyote met Ford's MPG/Emissions targets, so the 5.0 stays. However, there WILL be a new 7.0 V8, but this replaced the current 6.8 V8 in the heavy duty trucks. That is what was confirmed in the most recent union discussions, but has been mis-reported by some areas of the press.

As for platform sharing.........there was always rumour that S550 would share a platform with a Lincoln.......I wouldn't mind that being the case with S650.
http://fordauthority.com/2016/11/sources-say-ford-f-150-may-receive-a-new-4-8l-engine/

4.8 is a real possibility the V8's going into the Mustang has went into the F-150 for a long time now

HoosierDaddy

Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP and a few others
Send me a PM, i'll send you a powerpoint presentation of the new engines I built this morning.
You mean the engines you might or likely did build this morning? Just mess'n with you. ;) Thanks for the insider info.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I want to see! Sending you a PM.

S650 may be on a new platform. However I imagine it will be related to the old one in certain ways. I can't see them dumping a chassis design completely. Not to mention the current design has shown its limits are well beyond any mustang chassis so far. I imagine a new IRS cradle design. Possibly true double-A arm. Possibly a smoother under body (even though ours aren't terrible now). Better Aero work. I'm sure it will be an interesting update. I don't believe they will be gutting the 550 in the name of progress. More or less an update/retrofit to the core.

Stormtrooper5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I hope they still offer a MT for the new platform.

HoosierDaddy

Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP and a few others
Same here. Is that new auto a DC or a slushbox? If a slushbox (I think it is), they will almost certainly still offer a MT. And if a DC, still very likely offer an MT.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They will. The cost of not offering one in this segment is too high. The share of manuals if far, far higher for affordable sports/muscle cars than the average car or for expensive, luxury sports cars/supercars.

wireeater

Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I'm still trying to figure out why folks are calling it the S-650...:shrug:

S-197 to S-550 doesn't really show the "add one hundred" trend...
Also didn't 550 represent how many reversion they went through before the final design for the chassis

BmacIL

Enginerd
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Also didn't 550 represent how many reversion they went through before the final design for the chassis
No. It's a fairly random number. S197 -> S550. P415 -> P552. Next gen truck is P7**. Next gen Expedition/Navigator is U55X (there are two numbers that the X represents). Next gen SUVs are U6**, and the first number is very generally tied to the MY, i.e. higher number = later model years, but it doesn't directly correlate to a year in particular.

S = sports cars
P = Pickups
U = Utilities
C = C-size car platform
CD = CD-size car platform
B = B-size car platform
etc.

68fbjjz109

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I'm still trying to figure out why folks are calling it the S-650...:shrug:

S-197 to S-550 doesn't really show the "add one hundred" trend...
Not sure. But this is why people refer to it as such. Platform codes don't seem to be as deliberate as Ford Part numbering nomenclature.
11-17-2016 12-29-08 PM.png

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Not sure. But this is why people refer to it as such. Platform codes don't seem to be as deliberate as Ford Part numbering nomenclature.
I believe its end of the body style. I think there will be chassis revisions but much like a fox platform went to the SN95, it will be an extension of the original core design.

Topnotch

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
S650 should be clean sheet...some say the "6" corresponds to the relationship between it and the new D6 platform...It will more than likely have a stablemate (pun)...Lincoln Coupe.
S197 was created from the D2C platform...so it was never fully Mustang's.
The S197 and S550 have a lot in common sans IRS, A-pillar position, wider stance and other mounting points.
Mustang has had a history of using existing platforms from day one...
Falcon, Pinto, Fairmont, Jag/LS/Thunderbird...etc.
This time the Mustang needs to be lighter, more fuel efficient and have more in common with a 911 than a Camaro. IMHO we will see a hybrid and/or torque vectoring awd by mid decade.

Advertisement

94 - AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake - 1

Advertisement