If the S650 is on a new platform...

DrGrabster

UK Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mercedes E63 Estate. 550 hp rwd.
Ford have given the S550 a short lifetime, bringing the G7 car forward to May 2020. They seem to have made this decision just after the G6 was launched. As the current Mustang is on a unique platform it's probable that Ford will unify the Mustang on a shared platform as soon as possible, justifying the expense of terminating the G6 early.

If this is the case then the 2018 revision will probably be very minor indeed, why spend too much on development for a car with only a couple of years left in it, and possibly lose out on the big end run profits?

My prediction for the 2018 car is quad exhaust tips (non active), new headlights and some new interior electronics. They might make we G6 Mustang drivers test mules for the 10 speed gearbox.

My prediction for the S650 is a totally new platform shared with other Ford cars, the new 4.8 V8 DI engine agreed with the unions at the Essex plant last week, the 10 speed box and heaps of new electronics. Resulting in a lighter, faster, more fuel efficient car.

Advertisement

Last edited:

BBB

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
2018 is definitely getting a bigger eco boost engine, maybe a souped up 3.5 from f150. Likely V8 TT for the GT500.

moto111

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
And the 10 speed has been confirmed for the 2018s the if you have been doing your homework

BmacIL

Enginerd
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I work for Ford. What are your credentials?
You must not work near anything related to new models then, otherwise you would know the actual changes.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thread tidied.............keep it on topic, guys :thumbsup:

Ford have given the S550 a short lifetime, bringing the G7 car forward to May 2020. They seem to have made this decision just after the G6 was launched. As the current Mustang is on a unique platform it's probable that Ford will unify the Mustang on a shared platform as soon as possible, justifying the expense of terminating the G6 early.

If this is the case then the 2018 revision will probably be very minor indeed, why spend too much on development for a car with only a couple of years left in it, and possibly lose out on the big end run profits?

My prediction for the 2018 car is quad exhaust tips (non active), new headlights and some new interior electronics. They might make we G6 Mustang drivers test mules for the 10 speed gearbox.

My prediction for the S650 is a totally new platform shared with other Ford cars, the new 4.8 V8 DI engine agreed with the unions at the Essex plant last week, the 10 speed box and heaps of new electronics. Resulting in a lighter, faster, more fuel efficient car.

The '18MY refresh is just that, a refresh, albeit one that will introduce a revised Coyote engine (seems port & direct engine are a go), the new 10-speed auto as well as the refreshed front and rear ends. Don't worry, those prototypes you see wandering around Michigan are the testers......it won't go into production until it's ready ;) It'll still look like an S550 to the casual buyer though, I'm sure. Personally, I think we'll see the quad-tips on the GT only, with an option for them being active (if there's a Mach 1, then it'd get active as standard)

As for S650? I suspect the platform will be similar to S550's, but use more aluminium/lightweight components. It could possible be a clean sheet design, but I suspect many elements of S550 will remain.

As for the 4.8 V8........many media outlets are now confusing the issue. Ford were developing a 4.8 V8, but the DI/Port injection developed for the 5.0 Coyote met Ford's MPG/Emissions targets, so the 5.0 stays. However, there WILL be a new 7.0 V8, but this replaced the current 6.8 V8 in the heavy duty trucks. That is what was confirmed in the most recent union discussions, but has been mis-reported by some areas of the press.

As for platform sharing.........there was always rumour that S550 would share a platform with a Lincoln.......I wouldn't mind that being the case with S650.

timd38

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
You must not work near anything related to new models then, otherwise you would know the actual changes.
You get fired for talking to much. As a supplier, we had to sign NDAs on new products, so he most likely knows more than he can tell.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You get fired for talking to much. As a supplier, we had to sign NDAs on new products, so he most likely knows more than he can tell.
Yes I get that. That doesn't mean you deliberately mislead with false information though ;)

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Sub'd for low mileage superchargers pulled from S550s when everyone starts trading in, hahaha.

MRGTX

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base, 2011 Mustang GT Brembo (sold and dearly missed)
Impending end to an existing platform doesn't necessarily preclude major engine/drivetrain upgrades. It seems like Ford staggers the new engines and new platform releases.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium

HoosierDaddy

Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP and a few others
2018 is definitely getting a bigger eco boost engine, maybe a souped up 3.5 from f150. Likely V8 TT for the GT500.
I work for Ford. What are your credentials?
Well from your own words, regardless of your employer, you don't appear to have access to that information because none of those things would be just "maybe" or "likely" at this late stage.

Those would be set in stone well before today. Unless by "maybe" and "likely" you mean if the Earth isn't destroyed by an asteroid by then. ;)

Rebellion

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
The MT82 manual trans will also be revised, don't know the details of what parts exactly. The front fascia is completely redesigned, headlights, grilles, and everything. It's more of a "normal" slanted aerodynamic hood and fascia, not the aggressive 15-17 pseudo muscle look. No changes whatsoever to suspension and chassis.

Advertisement

4 - Big Worm Graphix

Advertisement