Sponsored

If I go FI and don't upgrade the OPG and timing gear...

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
... and the oil pump breaks, what goes with it? Am I looking at a complete engine or just the short block? The reason I ask is parts and labor around $2-2.2K and that is a good chunk of change toward a built block. Worst case scenario new short block from MMR or will I need a complete long block?
Sponsored

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
I paid 1375 for labor and gears

Shortblock installation + parts is several times that amount.

It's not if but when

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Not worth the risk, my car is NA and I have OPG / crank gear on the way.

[ame]

OP
OP
daltron

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Thanks fellas. Yeah I m trying to find a cheaper option here in SoCal but all the reputable shops want a ton of cash and even the places I wouldn't even think of taking my car want $1,400-1,500 just for labor. I guess it's just like the old saying goes, got to pay to play.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I paid 1375 for labor and gears

Shortblock installation + parts is several times that amount.

It's not if but when
Opg and cg along with a new dampner (doing it right) is about 950-1100 depending on what you pay, plus install if someone is unable to do it themselves.

Op its cheaper to not blow your motor and reuse your engine later then scrap your perfectly good (current conditions, not blown) just because that money can go towards a built short block. Youre still going to need those mods later, it won't make it cheaper later, just more because you'd need a new block and potentially new head internals depending what gets ruined in them.

ero 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt 5.0
ive been thinking the same thing. Im getting a paxton kit and dont plan on doing OPG's . It really depends on who you ask whether you need them or not with a modest 600-700 rwhp build.

AutoX_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack - Black
Why does Ford warranty the Roush stage 3's with 727 horsepower if it were that big of a risk?

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Why does Ford warranty the Roush stage 3's with 727 horsepower if it were that big of a risk?
It has a different dampner iirc. As does whipple. Stg 3 doesnt get a warranty

Multiple turbo cars with 650-750whp have shit the bed. Its only a matter of time. Driving style, rpms, etc determines lot of it.

Sponsored

AutoX_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack - Black
It has a different dampner iirc. As does whipple. Stg 3 doesnt get a warranty

Multiple turbo cars with 650-750whp have shit the bed. Its only a matter of time. Driving style, rpms, etc determines lot of it.
Good to know, now i'm slightly worried since I have a Paxton kit to install this weekend. I guess I better look into the OPG's!

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Install them yourself, from what I see it's within the capability of the average person.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Good to know, now i'm slightly worried since I have a Paxton kit to install this weekend. I guess I better look into the OPG's!
You need all three that i mentioned. Its also cheaper for install cost if youre paying someone (because you dont feel comfortable) to do all three at once instead of someone needing to go back in later and do the cg. The opg and cg should at least be done at the same time. Its just stupid to only do opg. Since youre going with a paxton the dampner will be done then.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
You need all three that i mentioned. Its also cheaper for install cost if youre paying someone to do all three at once instead of someone needing to go back in later and do the cg. The opg and cg should at least be done at the same time. Since youre going with a paxton the dampner will be done then.
My shop charged the same amount to do both as it would've been to do one. Definitely do both at the same time since most of the labor is exactly the same.

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
I just did an ATI damper and will stop there. I don't trust many people to open my brand new engine. I know it's risky. Seems like turbos have blown more engines than anything Else. Maybe the harmonics are different. But my though is to save my almost 2 grand, and if my engine goes, I get a short block that can handle more power for 5k. Again, I normally am not one to live on the edge, but the more I read, I just am not seeing enough information to sway me with a blower running around 700whp at this point. Again, not saying crap don't happen, and am not even against doing it. Just that if my engine goes, I will be upset at first, but not devastated as I would then take the car to another level. What's next after opg, cg, and damper? Something else may get exposed after that....
Sponsored