Sponsored

Ideas for getting ready for first time track days in 2022....

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Now that I have my GT and I've read the First Track Day sticky, I'm excited about doing track day events next year. For you folks that have done the track events, races or done the performance schools I'm looking for ideas for what I can do to be ready for the coming spring/summer events. Gear, supplies, skill building (things like brake maint. etc.) installing tow hooks (?). I have a convertible so I understand it's possible I might need a roll bar at some tracks. Any advice or ideas are very welcome. It will keep my mind off wanting to take it out when it's 23 degrees outside, LOL.
Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
What tires and brakes do you have?

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Prep the car..
At a minimum: Brake bleed, but also suggest swapping for Dot4 fluid.
Get yourself a good Tire pressure gauge.
Cheap Set of wheel chocks
Torque wrench for the wheels.

Prep yourself..
Listen to your instructor, listen to your instructor and especially understand what your instructor is telling you (ask questions)
Make sure you have somewhere to sit and relax between sessions
Take plenty of fluid and snacks.
Prepare to have a grin from ear to ear.
Get ready for a whole world of expense and modifications.

For a first time out, the stock GTPP is more than capable of handling the track and you as a beginner. Leave the Nannie’s on for now.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Now that I have my GT and I've read the First Track Day sticky, I'm excited about doing track day events next year. For you folks that have done the track events, races or done the performance schools I'm looking for ideas for what I can do to be ready for the coming spring/summer events. Gear, supplies, skill building (things like brake maint. etc.) installing tow hooks (?). I have a convertible so I understand it's possible I might need a roll bar at some tracks. Any advice or ideas are very welcome. It will keep my mind off wanting to take it out when it's 23 degrees outside, LOL.
My first track day was when the car was brand new at 1000 miles. I literally did nothing. However as I progressed I learned the fallowing:

1. Clean oil is a must.
2. Good Brake Fluid (Motul RBF600 / Castrol SRF)
3. Better brake pads are a must as well the oem are fine but have very limited heat resistance and expensive.
4. Camber Plates are a must if you want your tires to last.

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Prep the car..
At a minimum: Brake bleed, but also suggest swapping for Dot4 fluid.
Get yourself a good Tire pressure gauge.
Cheap Set of wheel chocks
Torque wrench for the wheels.

Prep yourself..
Listen to your instructor, listen to your instructor and especially understand what your instructor is telling you (ask questions)
Make sure you have somewhere to sit and relax between sessions
Take plenty of fluid and snacks.
Prepare to have a grin from ear to ear.
Get ready for a whole world of expense and modifications.

For a first time out, the stock GTPP is more than capable of handling the track and you as a beginner. Leave the Nannie’s on for now.
thanks good info. So sounds like I should ... listen to my instructor a lot. After checking the sticky about tracking I don't expect to try any mods until I know more about what I'm doing.

Are there any places where you can learn skills on how to deal with and/or control understeer/oversteer like a skid pad test course?

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
My first track day was when the car was brand new at 1000 miles. I literally did nothing. However as I progressed I learned the fallowing:

1. Clean oil is a must.
2. Good Brake Fluid (Motul RBF600 / Castrol SRF)
3. Better brake pads are a must as well the oem are fine but have very limited heat resistance and expensive.
4. Camber Plates are a must if you want your tires to last.

I hope this helps.
more good stuff. I understand the stock oil drain plugs is a throw away, I've seen the upgraded drain plugs you can replace with that allow easy oil changes. Worth the investment in oil changing kit (plugs, street oil storage, pan, track oil storage?)?

I keep reading about camber plates what's the whole deal between track settings and street settings? Not dumb just ignorant of why it's a thing.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
more good stuff. I understand the stock oil drain plugs is a throw away, I've seen the upgraded drain plugs you can replace with that allow easy oil changes. Worth the investment in oil changing kit (plugs, street oil storage, pan, track oil storage?)?

I keep reading about camber plates what's the whole deal between track settings and street settings? Not dumb just ignorant of why it's a thing.
You are pulling a lot higher gs on the track so you need more camber to keep the contact patch flat.

Sponsored

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
You need more negative Camber when on track, so as the car corners and rolls the weight of the car to the outside, you maintain the biggest contact patch possible - Tires to Tarmac.

First DE weekend

001ECCB3-74F3-4F07-B0B9-92846F66E80A.jpeg

and Now

0581A8E7-EDC5-4BDC-B0CF-B6EE8B998DA6.jpeg

Some of the Mods : Listed HERE. ⬇⬇

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

For the oil drain plugs never had an issue but it made sense from what I've read on the topic.

Regarding Camber Plates the idea is that the McPherson suspension is a positive roll suspension which mean that when you are leaning on it in corners the car is gaining positive camber which mean that you are wearing out the outer edge of the tire and also losing valuable contact patch and this mean you are not having enough grip. With that in mind camber plates allow you to change static camber to bigger negative number in my case with Steeda camber plates oem suspension all the way to -2.3 degrees which helped me with tire wear tremendously which mean longer tire life and smaller budget.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You need more negative Camber when on track, so as the car corners and rolls the weight of the car to the outside, you maintain the biggest contact patch possible - Tires to Tarmac.

First DE weekend

and Now
Some of the Mods : Listed HERE. ⬇⬇
This is what I call an all out build. Do you have lap times comparison between day 1 and now as well ? Also fantastic car love it.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Okay lights are coming on about the camber deal. Questions a) sounds like to adjust the camber for off and on track adjustable plates (aftermarket) are needed? b) does installing camber plates mess with my warranty?

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Okay lights are coming on about the camber deal. Questions a) sounds like to adjust the camber for off and on track adjustable plates (aftermarket) are needed? b) does installing camber plates mess with my warranty?
Well you can have camber put in at a tire shop to a limit. Trouble is that its way too much for the street. Camber plates allow more camber and generally you can change it yourself at the track.
Sponsored