Sponsored

IAT's are consistently 12 to 15f warmer than ambient

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
While driving this weekend I noticed that IAT's are spread out more than when I first got the car. It used to be if it was 70f outside while driving the IAT was about 5f more so around 75f. Now, it was 75f outside and my IAT was 88f and at times while driving went up?!?! to 89 or 90, makes damn near no sense whatsoever for a stock intake to show that big a difference.

When I get home tonight I'm shining a light through to see if something got in there and blocked incoming air, but if that were the case I would notice a diff in acceleration etc... which I haven't and mileage is still very good as well so this doesn't make sense. The car has stock airbox and no tune.

EDIT: Fixed original statement saying it was 70f outside and 5f less at 65f.
Sponsored

Last edited:

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Mine has always been 5-12f higher than ambient, unless sitting in traffic. Not sure where the sensor is, assuming near the CAI box which is in the engine compartment. Might need to research unless a gear head here knows.

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Can confirm mine has always been higher than ambient. Usually 5-7 more. If I'm sitting in traffic and it's 100 outside mine will go up to 110 or so.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
If you want to lower the IAT’s you can open the grille up and maybe do a velossa duct.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
you cannot go below ambient, if you are reading below, either your temp sensor is off or your iat sensor is off. during cooler driving youll see temps much closer then when its hot outside.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
My IATs run about 2-3 degrees above ambient (providing I'm moving). It would be impossible for IAT to be below ambient. Wind chill doesn't affect things, only skin.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
you cannot go below ambient, if you are reading below, either your temp sensor is off or your iat sensor is off. during cooler driving youll see temps much closer then when its hot outside.
You can… but it takes hitting puddles, or water injection...

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Where does anybody say going below ambient?? My issue is its now showing way above ambient, it used to be around 5f, now it's near triple that. I'm not sure where you got below ambient, I wish, as does everybody else.

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I get that it can be modified to be lower, my issue is its showing much higher now than it used to. 5f difference is about what I was used to now it's triple that, makes no sense to me, I put a flashlight through and see nothing blocking it so I don't get why it used to be around 5f to 8f difference to over 15f difference, just strange, also going up while driving, thats damn near stupid strange.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Where does anybody say going below ambient?? My issue is its now showing way above ambient, it used to be around 5f, now it's near triple that. I'm not sure where you got below ambient, I wish, as does everybody else.
ummm you did. You said “It used to be if it was 70f outside while driving the IAT was about 5f less so around 65f”

and like I said when it’s colder out it’s easier to keep cooler IAT’s. When it was 65 I ran right around there, now that it’s 110 I’m lucky if I see under 125

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
You said that ? Said your IAT was 65 when it's 70 outside. Pretty much impossible.

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ummm you did. You said “It used to be if it was 70f outside while driving the IAT was about 5f less so around 65f”

and like I said when it’s colder out it’s easier to keep cooler IAT’s. When it was 65 I ran right around there, now that it’s 110 I’m lucky if I see under 125
Oy vey, you're right, I'll edit and fix, this is what happens when multi-tasking....

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Took the car to work this morning and it's back to around 5f over ambient... go figure, next time this happens I'll shut the car off for a few minutes and start it back up and see if that changes anything.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have an opened up grill with the Velossa Tech duct and the lowest mine have been are 2-3* above ambient. They’re usually around where everyone else’s are. Between about 5-10* above when going down the road
Sponsored