Sponsored

IAT Info for Lethal Performance's Gen 5 Whipple with a PNR Ice Tank

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Wow, even with no ice, that entire span is only a change of about 8 degrees. Compared to the stock system with a change of about 30 degrees. So... these will be on sale right?
Sponsored

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Wow, even with no ice, that entire span is only a change of about 8 degrees. Compared to the stock system with a change of about 30 degrees. So... these will be on sale right?
We typically don't put them on sale unless PNR is participating. However if you give a call in I'm sure we can work something out for you. 561-753-8105.

Thanks!

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey, I already have a similar setup that I slapped together last year for Texas Mile... would it be possible to purchase only the electric pump section of your kit? I would like to get the Davies Craig EWP150 along with the accessories and mount needed to replace my Rule2000 bilge pump.

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
We got some solid data that we felt you guys would be interested in seeing. This data comes from our 2018 Mustang GT 10 Speed Auto with the Whipple Gen 5 3.0L Supercharger.

The car currently runs a 3.50" upper and 20% lower which should make close to the 20psi range.

Here's a log of the car when I went [email protected]. This is with the standard heat exchanger and pump that comes with the Stage 2 Whipple kit.
notank_zpsmrywcedz.jpg

The next log is from last week when I went 8.98@150+. This was using the PNR Ice tank with just water in it. No Ice, No whipple reservoir and no whipple IC pump.
tankwithjustwater_zpsufddqtvt.jpg

The last log is of my 8.97@151+ run. This is with the PNR tank with 2 10lb bags of ice in it. No Whipple reservoir or pump.
tankwith2bagsofice_zpstrghkzul.jpg

As you can see there's a bug difference in IAT2 temps from the standard Whipple setup to the PNR trunk mount tank and that the ice made an even bigger difference. The PNR tanks are super high quality, made here in the USA and are sold as the tank by itself or as a kit with the pump, hose and fittings for a complete install.

If you guys have any other questions please feel free to ask. We're always here to help.

PNR Ice Tanks
https://www.lethalperformance.com/pnr-mustang-intercooler-tank-complete-kits-for-install.html
tank_2.jpg

I am bringing this thread back to life because I think my build needs this. We were going PNR but through some communication issues - they went Tig with that crappy Rule2000 pump everyone seems to hate.

I am asking for the PNR Stage IV - but I have a question about the Gen V Stage 2 HX. A) is it enough? I have read some state that the non-oversized unit cannot flow enough and could cause head pressure with little flow. B) The Shop got the fans - which seem to be fairly useless - and only have any affect when stopped - and could possibly cause airflow blockage. Should I go with the larger HX from Whipple to go with the PNR Stage IV and drop the fans - and if yes - will it be a giant wait to get the HX from Whipple or are those in stock (my Gen V is almost four months out now). Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thank-you sir!

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
I am bringing this thread back to life because I think my build needs this. We were going PNR but through some communication issues - they went Tig with that crappy Rule2000 pump everyone seems to hate.

I am asking for the PNR Stage IV - but I have a question about the Gen V Stage 2 HX. A) is it enough? I have read some state that the non-oversized unit cannot flow enough and could cause head pressure with little flow. B) The Shop got the fans - which seem to be fairly useless - and only have any affect when stopped - and could possibly cause airflow blockage. Should I go with the larger HX from Whipple to go with the PNR Stage IV and drop the fans - and if yes - will it be a giant wait to get the HX from Whipple or are those in stock (my Gen V is almost four months out now). Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thank-you sir!
I wouldnt think HE size matters as much for flow. line size will be the main restriction unless you are doing 1in lines.

Sponsored

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I wouldnt think HE size matters as much for flow. line size will be the main restriction unless you are doing 1in lines.
Thanks AZ...I agree with you flow is the key. There was some info that the WHipple HX it came with may actually have better flow without the ice box. With an ice box, some of the info out there says that with a smaller HX that the flow can overwhelm it - "cause head pressure potentially" (not sure what that means). I am going to follow Lethal here and the Goldmember car as we have near identical build sheets - get the PNR stage IV with 16 an feed and 12 an return. I went with the larger Whipple HX versus the fans as the consensus on the fans is that they have little value unless you are fully stopped and up to 10 MPH (which is good when you are stuck in the staging lanes - but not much else). The fans can also block air flow. I didn't care that they were loud lol.

I asked Lethal to respond here because - as I read this thread - they were using the HX the Gen V comes with - and I wanted to hear their opinion on it...

I will detail the results once I have my car back.

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Thanks AZ...I agree with you flow is the key. There was some info that the WHipple HX it came with may actually have better flow without the ice box. With an ice box, some of the info out there says that with a smaller HX that the flow can overwhelm it - "cause head pressure potentially" (not sure what that means). I am going to follow Lethal here and the Goldmember car as we have near identical build sheets - get the PNR stage IV with 16 an feed and 12 an return. I went with the larger Whipple HX versus the fans as the consensus on the fans is that they have little value unless you are fully stopped and up to 10 MPH (which is good when you are stuck in the staging lanes - but not much else). The fans can also block air flow. I didn't care that they were loud lol.

I asked Lethal to respond here because - as I read this thread - they were using the HX the Gen V comes with - and I wanted to hear their opinion on it...

I will detail the results once I have my car back.
Are you going to cut the fittings off the HE to weld on AN fittings?

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Are you going to cut the fittings off the HE to weld on AN fittings?
My Shop would know better - but I don't think they had to cut anything on the Whipple provided unit (which is already connected to Tig Vision unit in the car). I can verify. I will see if I have any pics. I would guess the larger HX is no different?

EDIT: Confirmed this is not a common practice. Most slide line over and clamp it.

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
My Shop would know better - but I don't think they had to cut anything on the Whipple provided unit (which is already connected to Tig Vision unit in the car). I can verify. I will see if I have any pics. I would guess the larger HX is no different?
yeah the same the standard HX and the oversize both use 3/4 in fittings. if you want the best flow its recommended to cut them off and weld 1 in fittings instead. this video shows how they did the install with a PNR tank and the over sized HX. (Edit: That doesnt seem to be the video where she modified the HX but That was done too)

Last edited:

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
yeah the same the standard HX and the oversize both use 3/4 in fittings. if you want the best flow its recommended to cut them off and weld 1 in fittings instead. this video shows how they did the install with a PNR tank and the over sized HX.
Very cool - I will let them know - thanks AZ!
Sponsored