LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Is this mainly for the strip?
Having the additional capacity and flow will make a difference both on the street and track. Adding ice is mainly for the track as the ice melts and needs to be replaced after each run.

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I like it. Having done some sub-ambient cooling work in the computer world, I was thinking this design out. It seems to me the benefit of keeping the heat exchanger in that loop disappears when you want to run with ice in the tank as the exchanger would begin to work against you with airflow and exposure to ambient air. It would melt your ice exponentially faster unless the ambient air was sub freezing also. It literally adds heat to your freezing water loop.

Have you tried running a simple bypass loop with a couple ball valves and a length of hose to completely bypass the heat exchanger when running ice? Otherwise, without ice or just in daily driving, the heat exchanger would be a benefit.

Just curious.

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
I like it. Having done some sub-ambient cooling work in the computer world, I was thinking this design out. It seems to me the benefit of keeping the heat exchanger in that loop disappears when you want to run with ice in the tank as the exchanger would begin to work against you with airflow and exposure to ambient air. It would melt your ice exponentially faster unless the ambient air was sub freezing also. It literally adds heat to your freezing water loop.

Have you tried running a simple bypass loop with a couple ball valves and a length of hose to completely bypass the heat exchanger when running ice? Otherwise, without ice or just in daily driving, the heat exchanger would be a benefit.

Just curious.
For single runs at the track that makes total sense. Remove the H?E which the ambient air passes through heating up the coolant. I'll ask Paul if designing a bypass kit would be something he feels is worth doing and report back.

Thanks for bringing that up.

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
You bet. And for single max effort applications it makes perfect sense to bypass, unless the coolant capacity of the heat exchanger outweighs the ambient air's thermal gain before the run is complete.

Just thinking out loud.

Sponsored

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I like the idea of removing the fans and heat exchange, along with Whipple's tank and pump for weigh reduction. Now I'm more curious what it does to IAT's just driving around on water...
Just driving around on water without a heat exchanger and without ice I imagine would not be good. There has to be a way for the loop to extract the heat that's being added At the intercooler core or else the heat would simply keep rising and performance would suffer. One pass with a fresh tank of ice would be one thing, but without a heat exchanger for driving around you'd be in trouble. Just my educated guess. It serves a purpose but for subambient cooling I was saying bypassing it makes more sense unless you could insulate the exchanger completely from airflow and thermal gains, which would be a huge pain in the ass vs switching two valves, especially if those valves were just electronically activated from inside the car.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Good catch. Images have been fixed. Thanks!

No Tank
notank_zpsmarci5dw.jpg

Tank with water only
tankwithjustwater_zps6qpbbxn3.jpg

Tank with 20lbs of Ice
tankwith2bagsofice_zpsfmqd7yju.jpg
One other thing... the last log looks like a log of the burnout. There's no shifting pattern in the RPM. Also wondering why the 2nd log seems to cutoff early compared to the first. It ends before letting off the throttle. Would it be possible to add the part where you let off to see the temp start to drop like the first log?

I'm seriously considering ordering one of these and I'm wondering how effective it would be on the street compared to the stock Whipple system.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I have a TIG vision tank with the EMP pump on my KB car and it helps but that car really needed it .
I was seeing up to 160* at the end of pass and timing was being pulled .Now IAT’s stay around 120*.

Since the tune is not pulling timing up to 150* not sure any gains can be attributed to the ice tank with this set up as temps were peaking at 130*@150 mph with the stock whipple set up .

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
We got some solid data that we felt you guys would be interested in seeing. This data comes from our 2018 Mustang GT 10 Speed Auto with the Whipple Gen 5 3.0L Supercharger.

The car currently runs a 3.50" upper and 20% lower which should make close to the 20psi range.
Any chance of fixing those graphs before your July 4th sale goes live? See my post above

Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Great, that is impressive on the run with ice. The 2nd log without ice is still cutoff before the finish. Do you have the rest of the log for that one?

Sorry to be a pain... I want to see the temp peak and start to come back down like the other runs because I'm trying to guess how well the extra capacity would work on a street car without ice.