Sponsored

i wonder if K&N drop in filters net more gains with 2022 cars...

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
  • Banned
Okay, so we all know by now that the 2022's have 2 filters and on the mach's removing the carbon trap thing results in the restoration of lost power.

mine is brand new so i don't wanna pull the carbon trap yet but i figured a drop in K&N would be way less restriction and maybe get some of that lost power back.

im gonna get further down the line of ownership to make sure i didn't get a lemon before i go modifying this stock lid.

1664379539819.png

1664379594939.png
Sponsored

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Okay, so we all know by now that the 2022's have 2 filters and on the mach's removing the carbon trap thing results in the restoration of lost power.

mine is brand new so i don't wanna pull the carbon trap yet but i figured a drop in K&N would be way less restriction and maybe get some of that lost power back.

im gonna get further down the line of ownership to make sure i didn't get a lemon before i go modifying this stock lid.

1664379539819.png

1664379594939.png
Get a 21 or earlier lid. It has worked for a few people. I need to find the article but if I remember correctly a k&n are worth about a 2 to 3% increase.

OP
OP
AvalancheSVT

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
  • Banned
good idea.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

1664379539819.png

1664379594939.png
I just ordered the Green Filters drop in filter from Steeda. They showed a 7hp / 7 ft lbs torque increase on a dyno on a stock 2019 GT. Itā€™s minimal but I just want a better filter with a little more airflow.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
The K&N is not "way less restriction".

If you want the power back, just cut all that crap out, like most are doing. No reason not to.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

1664379539819.png

1664379594939.png
Iā€˜ve been wondering this exact same thing. I only have a few hundred miles on mine as well and share your concern. Hopefully someone has tried the drop in and can report.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just ordered the Green Filters drop in filter from Steeda. They showed a 7hp / 7 ft lbs torque increase on a dyno on a stock 2019 GT. Itā€™s minimal but I just want a better filter with a little more airflow.
MAGS, if weā€™re thinking about how to get back 10 hp (as many of us are) I donā€™t think 7 hp is all that minimal. For very little money and effort Iā€™m gonna bite!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
MAGS, if weā€™re thinking about how to get back 10 hp (as many of us are) I donā€™t think 7 hp is all that minimal. For very little money and effort Iā€™m gonna bite!
Oh I agree. I found some old threads here where folks had nothing but good things to say about the Green filter. And itā€™s less expensive than the Airaid dry filter so I figured itā€™s worth a shot. I want to get past the break in period before I start messing with the added ā€œfeaturesā€ of the 2022 intakes šŸ¤­

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh I agree. I found some old threads here where folks had nothing but good things to say about the Green filter. And itā€™s less expensive than the Airaid dry filter so I figured itā€™s worth a shot. I want to get past the break in period before I start messing with the added ā€œfeaturesā€ of the 2022 intakes šŸ¤­
Yeah me too and Iā€™m only at about 600 miles. Iā€™ll look forward to your take on what the Green filter does.

My 2022 feels very strong to me and I donā€™t think it gives up anything to my 2020. Maybe even a little stronger, hard to say. But while I wouldnā€™t be disappointed if it never pulled any harder, like most of us old semi-retired hot rodders I sure wouldnā€™t turn down a little bit more!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yeah me too and Iā€™m only at about 600 miles. Iā€™ll look forward to your take on what the Green filter does.

My 2022 feels very strong to me and I donā€™t think it gives up anything to my 2020. Maybe even a little stronger, hard to say. But while I wouldnā€™t be disappointed if it never pulled any harder, like most of us old semi-retired hot rodders I sure wouldnā€™t turn down a little bit more!
Absolutely, happy to share some thoughts when I get it. Iā€™m at about 325 miles so I have a little ways to go yet as far as break in. But I agree, this car wants to pull and wants to go. I only have my 2016 V6 to compare to (other than some test drives in 2018-2021ā€™s) so hard for me say how it compares to the 2018-2021ā€™s. I did drive a slightly modified 2018 not long ago (JLT intake with a Bama tune and Borla ATAK catback) and mine feels like it pulls every bit as hard as that one did.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I don`t know why you won`t just take out that filter and leave all the plastic. You can with a stupid amount of ease put that filter back in if needed. I keep mine in my trunk and have tools on hand if I needed to put it back in.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely, happy to share some thoughts when I get it. Iā€™m at about 325 miles so I have a little ways to go yet as far as break in. But I agree, this car wants to pull and wants to go. I only have my 2016 V6 to compare to (other than some test drives in 2018-2021ā€™s) so hard for me say how it compares to the 2018-2021ā€™s. I did drive a slightly modified 2018 not long ago (JLT intake with a Bama tune and Borla ATAK catback) and mine feels like it pulls every bit as hard as that one did.
Thatā€˜s yet another good report on these ā€˜22s, Mags and Iā€™m glad to hear it. Several owners have made similar comments.

I full well realize that we 2022 owners have a vested interest in our cars running well. And I also accept that the butt dyno is notoriously unreliable and subjective at best. But while Iā€™m sure Ford wouldnā€™t have opened up this can of worms without factual basis, I have to wonder if maybe they did something else to these cars to take up the slack that we donā€™t know about. It just seems like too many guys think theyā€™re good runners, and if they didnā€™t really think so itā€™d be easy to just not say anything.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP

1664379594939.png
Looks to me as though Ford has stepped up and devised a way to clean up the MAF airflow with a laminar air mechanism. I would think twice about removing the grid in the MAF housing inlet.
Removing the fuel vapor charcoal filter is one thing but removal of the grid may result in possible drivability issues, probably nothing huge but there is a benefit to a clean laminar flow around the MAF sensor.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

1664379539819.png

1664379594939.png
So Avalanche, Iā€™m picking on you here because I think it was you that said in another thread that the ECU was capable of adjusting mixture with the carbon filter gone without needing a tune. So that raises this question: is the ECU also able to adjust fuel trims without a re-tune if you lose the carbon filter and drop in a K&N at the same time?
Sponsored