I went ALL IN on C-Pillar rattle

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I think my issue has to do with the parcel shelf/package tray. Do you have to remove the rear seat back's to get the shelf off?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I think my issue has to do with the parcel shelf/package tray. Do you have to remove the rear seat back's to get the shelf off?
Nope, just fold the seats down to access the push pins. The bottom cushion has to be removed to remove the two side panels (trim under the rear window and around)

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Nope, just fold the seats down to access the push pins. The bottom cushion has to be removed to remove the two side panels (trim under the rear window and around)
Thanks! I think I just reached under and detached the seats without folding the seat backs down. Hope I didn’t break anything.

The problem now is I need to remove the side panels that go all
The way forward to the front seat region (not the c-pillar covers, I already removed those) in order to slide the parcel shelf forward. Unless I’m complicating things now. I feel like I can’t slide the shelf off.

What funny is that as is, the creaking is 10x worse. I need that shelf to come off lol.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Don't know where the hell my car's racket is coming from, and since nobody can drive stick in my household, will have to tackle this without being able to find where exactly it's coming from. So will probably remove the rear tray and side panels, and bang on everything, and quiet anything that makes noise. Will also read the whole thread again, so find tips. Stupid car.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Don't know where the hell my car's racket is coming from, and since nobody can drive stick in my household, will have to tackle this without being able to find where exactly it's coming from. So will probably remove the rear tray and side panels, and bang on everything, and quiet anything that makes noise. Will also read the whole thread again, so find tips. Stupid car.
Now that my package shelf is a little loose and moved forward by about a quarter of an inch, the creaking is so bad. It sometimes would like its creaking, other times it’s ticking and other times it’s like rustling leaves.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
Pay a visit to the local dealership they carry a special stethoscope to track down the noise. You can have the mechanic in the backseat and drive around until it’s found like I did.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Pay a visit to the local dealership they carry a special stethoscope to track down the noise. You can have the mechanic in the backseat and drive around until it’s found like I did.
I took it to South Bay and had Millan try to help. It was a total fail experience.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
No freaking way I'd do that. Ha ha. But thank you for the recommendation. Last time I trusted a dealer for a rattle on my then brand new Lexus LS400 travel car, it ended up scratched all over the place, and of course they said the car was like that already. And just like Thegipper, nothing was fixed. It was a painful lesson that I'll never repeat.

That's why it's much better for people like you to tell us what was your issue, and when you add them up, we should be able to eventually fix ours. I MUCH rather do it that way, than going to a dealer, but to each his own :).

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I made some progress yesterday. I sprayed silicone lubricant into the area in the pic and it resolved the ticking sound completely and the creaking by about 50%.

C02B1B06-8645-4950-A6BB-F7432869C248.jpeg

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
I made some progress yesterday. I sprayed silicone lubricant into the area in the pic and it resolved the ticking sound completely and the creaking by about 50%.

C02B1B06-8645-4950-A6BB-F7432869C248.jpeg
Ford really cheaped out on those welds between the panels :/ I’m glad it help!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. The build quality is shockingly bad and the dealerships are equally as garbage.
Wow I just read that you brought to the same dealership under the same technician. I’m sorry they weren’t able to help. I thought referencing my car would escalate your case since they already have the experience but guess it didn’t after all

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Wow I just read that you brought to the same dealership under the same technician. I’m sorry they weren’t able to help. I thought referencing my car would escalate your case since they already have the experience but guess it didn’t after all
Yes, it’s disappointing. South Bay was so lazy (in my case). They did no investigating. They just opening the c-pillar cover and put tape or a strip of foam to passively sit on the bottom of the cover; not even vertically on the side, just on the bottom which wouldn’t stop the air bag cylinder from tapping even if that was the problem.

I’m stuck with this junk box for a while, so I’ll make the best of it.

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So the freaking panels are creaking against each other, due to the lack of tack welds? How the hell can we fix that? It's really disappointing how cheaply these cars are built. Just saw another thread where your car can get flooded if SIX stupid stickers (painted over) become undone, which is only a matter of time. And the rear foot well gets flooded due to lack of seam sealer on the rails, sending techs and owners on a wild goose chase, thinking it's something at the back. Crazy.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Just saw another thread where your car can get flooded if SIX stupid stickers (painted over) become undone, which is only a matter of time.

And the rear foot well gets flooded due to lack of seam sealer on the rails,
@Elp_jc can you post links to these please JC?
Sponsored