Sponsored

I was not a big fan of the Black Appearance Package!

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
The black package looks good with some colors but over all not a fan. There is a black on black on black at the dealer here and I don't get it. It mutes out the greatness of the lines of the car. I think it's a fad.
Sponsored

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Some people like that murdered out look....not a fan myself.

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
I wasn't crazy about Lightning Blue at first. The first one I saw had the basic 18" wheels and didn't pop. I almost ordered Race Red until I saw LB with the Black Accent package. That color combo changes the whole look of the convertible. I took delivery on 4/30.
IMG_2387.JPG

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Me too. I have always had this hatred of black with automobiles. Probably going back to the olden days when black signaled that the vehicle was the basic, worthless, stripped down, bottom rung model, and the owner was a cheapskate. :D
I'm feeling old now, but I got a good laugh out of this. I've been around for more than a full cycle I guess, but for the youngsters it goes like this.
Cover cars in shiny metal (stainless, chrome, laminated plastic, depending on decade) so it looks more up-market. Shiny metal trickles down to cheaper models after a while.
Bring out a sporty version and use (usually flat) black trim to stand out from the plain version your grandpa drives. Black trim trickles down to cheaper models after a while.
Use body colored trim for a fresh, uncluttered look, start with more expensive models but it ends up on the cheaper one eventually.
Dress up the monochromatic cars with shiny metal to make it look more upscale. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I really like the Black package on the magnetic metallic, especially the black top!
IMG_1473.jpg
Funny thing, the pony pkg is less expensive on the convertible, allegedly because they don't use as much chrome window trim. The black accent package is the same price, coupe or convertible. In 2018 the black roof was a standalone option for $699.

Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...and they weigh a ton. bout time for chrome wheels to come back around!
LOL, I have no idea why you'd think the paint, plating or whatever, has anything to do with the overall weigh of a wheel, it's not paint weighs more than a few grams.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
LOL, I have no idea why you'd think the paint, plating or whatever, has anything to do with the overall weigh of a wheel, it's not paint weighs more than a few grams.
I never mentioned the paint...only the weight. ever drive a mustang that's lost 14 lbs at each corner of un-sprung weight? maybe not...

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
oh and by the way...being a vw guy, you may not know that other than the Shelby R, black Ford wheels weigh between 33/34 lbs and it "ain't the paint"

Last edited:

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm feeling old now, but I got a good laugh out of this. I've been around for more than a full cycle I guess, but for the youngsters it goes like this.
Cover cars in shiny metal (stainless, chrome, laminated plastic, depending on decade) so it looks more up-market. Shiny metal trickles down to cheaper models after a while.
Bring out a sporty version and use (usually flat) black trim to stand out from the plain version your grandpa drives. Black trim trickles down to cheaper models after a while.
Use body colored trim for a fresh, uncluttered look, start with more expensive models but it ends up on the cheaper one eventually.
Dress up the monochromatic cars with shiny metal to make it look more upscale. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Funny thing, the pony pkg is less expensive on the convertible, allegedly because they don't use as much chrome window trim. The black accent package is the same price, coupe or convertible. In 2018 the black roof was a standalone option for $699.

cycle or no cycle, ive never been a big fan of chrome. it just seems like a cheap attempt to add bling. my 2012 fusion had a chrome ring all the way around the outline of the front and back side windows. i thought it looked out of place, and seemed to disconnect the windows from the rest of the car. I for one am glad the current trend is for less chrome. For wheels, im kind of neutral on silver vs black, but im not really a huge fan of chrome on wheels either.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
Me too. I have always had this hatred of black with automobiles. Probably going back to the olden days when black signaled that the vehicle was the basic, worthless, stripped down, bottom rung model, and the owner was a cheapskate. :D[/QUOT
I wonder why the Performance package has Black wheels and is 3999$ option then !

Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never mentioned the paint...only the weight. ever drive a mustang that's lost 14 lbs at each corner of un-sprung weight? maybe not...
Can't say I have, but my Porsche lost 6-8 lbs per corner. It's a striped out track toy that's lost about 500 lbs from stock. Wheel selection includes both Fuchs and Cookie Cutters ( https://www.total911.com/fuchs-wheels-a-porsche-911-history/ ), both are available in multiple finishes but the weights are the same regardless of color. If your black wheels are too heavy, maybe you should paint them a different color.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
My shiny wheels (Advanti DST Svelto, mirror titanium finish) are 17 pounds lighter than the stock PP wheels. I also lost 10 pounds on each of the front brake rotors and 6 on the rears with the Baer Eradispeed+ rotors. That all adds up to a hundred pounds lighter, and IMO looks way better than stock.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
My shiny wheels (Advanti DST Svelto, mirror titanium finish) are 17 pounds lighter than the stock PP wheels. I also lost 10 pounds on each of the front brake rotors and 6 on the rears with the Baer Eradispeed+ rotors. That all adds up to a hundred pounds lighter, and IMO looks way better than stock.
http://baer.com/EradiSpeed-2-Piece-Rotor-Upgrades.html that would be 4.5 lb per front rotor. they are nice...

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
your weight total is little off but reducing any un-sprung wheel weight on these cars is a positive. big diff in handling, acceleration and braking.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
http://baer.com/EradiSpeed-2-Piece-Rotor-Upgrades.html that would be 4.5 lb per front rotor. they are nice...
by the way, we share the same approach. I went with OZ RACING wheels (deal) factory spec at 21 lbs. Eradispeed front rotors as well, 8.5 lb diff on GT PP and a few Steeda suspension tweaks...absolutely different car. you're not alone. d
my rotors were at half cost...quality but expensive at normal pricing imo, anyway enjoy d
Sponsored