Sponsored

I want more torque starting from 2000 RPM (want it to feel like 4k) what're my options?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Lol, a pushrod motor is exactly what you want. You just won't admit it.
I love pushrods but that isn't really the only answer. It's the displacement. Imagine if Ford even went with the 5.4l block of the triton, or the 5.8l block from the trinity, as a basis.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I love pushrods but that isn't really the only answer. It's the displacement. Imagine if Ford even went with the 5.4l block of the triton, or the 5.8l block from the trinity, as a basis.
Pushrods allow you to have more displacement for the same engine size though, that's why they're so competitive. I find those engines mega boring though, like sure in a truck that's exactly what you want, but for a sports car? Meh

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Pushrods allow you to have more displacement for the same engine size though, that's why they're so competitive. I find those engines mega boring though, like sure in a truck that's exactly what you want, but for a sports car? Meh
Right, but Ford could have made the coyote bigger, is my point. Both the 5.4l and 5.8l were in a Mustang, and supercharged. We know they fit. Just think about all the research and design that went into getting the coyote it's numbers, but with a 5.8l displacement. That engine would be absolutely nutty.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Right, but Ford could have made the coyote bigger, is my point. Both the 5.4l and 5.8l were in a Mustang, and supercharged. We know they fit. Just think about all the research and design that went into getting the coyote it's numbers, but with a 5.8l displacement. That engine would be absolutely nutty.
I get that. I think the 5.0L was a point of pride for Ford given it's history though, so it makes sense they focused on that. I know the mod motor platform that the Coyote is based on also has a weird bore spacing that makes things difficult for the engineers, although I forget exactly what is involved in that since it's from an article I read ages ago.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I get that. I think the 5.0L was a point of pride for Ford given it's history though, so it makes sense they focused on that. I know the mod motor platform that the Coyote is based on also has a weird bore spacing that makes things difficult for the engineers, although I forget exactly what is involved in that since it's from an article I read ages ago.
The real reason isn't as cool. One of the constraints, that made coyote possible, was that it had to use the same factory lines and tooling as the 4.6l to cut down on costs. That I get. What I don't get is why that couldn't have been done with the 5.4l as well.

I can speculate. Structural integrity being key but there's only so much room for bore spacing, coolant jackets, iron sleeves, etc.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts/m5lp-1003-2011-ford-mustang-gt-50-coyote-engine

That may have what you're talking about. Been a while since I've read through it all, though.

EDIT: Damn phone clipboard not using the last copied item... I tried to edit it out quickly. If anyone saw it then enjoy the view I guess lol.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
You're correct, but there are a lot of architecture issues which produces the tendency of pushrod engines to be lower revving. Keep in mind, the OP wanted torque at 2000 rpm. That's barely off idle. It takes long intake runners, small port cross-sections & volumes, reduced valve area, high cyl. pressure cam grinds with lots of intake advance and little crossover. These are all what's needed for low rpm truck engines, as you say. A 4 cam/4 valve engine with these attributes would be absurd, as is the request.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
For low end torque believe it or not a small displacement 4 cyl turbo will give you close to max torque starting as low as 1200 rpm in some cases, but will fall of its face in the higher rpm. It will behave exactly as you wish, not needing to downshift on higher gears to pass on highway etc. I had 2000 SAAB Areo 2.3l 4 cyl, I could pass anything with light throttle on highway without the need to downshift, this is before I took it to stage 3. Also my 2009 2.5l STI was similar, even more at stage 2.

It is really puzzeling that the 5.0 Coyote with such high torque and HP lacks low end torque. On my first 2015 Mustang Coyote I felt the same, but after I had it tuned it was definitely better on 93 tune and e85 even better.
Even with my current new 2015 stage 2 Whipple it is still not as you would expect, cruising in 6th you need to downshift to 5th to make a strong pass. On a boosted car you need to be careful with lagging the engine, ie driving in 6th gear and flooring it, or even half throttle. If you have bad gas you can detonate and brake a ringland.

Sorry I veered off the topic some, but thought this may be of interest to some.

Bottom line is like others have said downshift, this is the answer for the Coyote, and the Voodoo. It is annoying I agree, but the nature of this beast...it is a beast for sure!
Sponsored