HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
A Tesla S100 crashed a block from my home. From the looks, it had to have been going 100+ unless they are made out of tissue paper. An octogenarian couple in the car; they both died. The crash scene was almost 1/2 mile long. Apparently the accident started in front of the Mayo Hospital and careened off various walls for a half mile before slamming into a tree.

I left to pick up something at Lowes right after it happened. Saw police just past the only entry/exit to my neighborhood but assumed it was a traffic stop or fender bender. When I returned, I couldn't get back home for another 6 hours because they had sealed off the road my entrance was on for close to a mile. I'm guessing electrical hazards slowed down the response and investigation. A UPS truck and daily US mail delivery vehicle were trapped inside my neighborhood. There wasn't even a way to walk into or out my neighborhood without climbing over fences and going thru someone's yard.

Seems much more likely a runaway car than some old guy showing off for his wife. Pretty sure any wife would be putting the hurt on him early in the half mile of bouncing off things if the car was under his control.

Considering the typical traffic, it's amazing it didn't collect any other cars.

This is what was left of the Tesla:

1611418181564.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
83? Sounds like COVID to me.

At least it didn't burn. Tesla has been really irresponsible in hyping these things as practically autonomous and "safer than a human." Yeah, yeah, legal disclaimers, "always be attentive," yada, yada. We know people are putting too much stock in the car's capability because they keep crashing while doing it.

Reactions: dps

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Autonomous driving features are a pretty recent Tesla option and it's hard to say what year that car was by the image. The exotic dealer near my house had an S100 I test drove and it didn't have any of that stuff. It was a pretty nice car, too. But even used they are really expensive.

Too me, that accident sounds like the driver had a heart attack. That's what happened to my wife's grandfather. His car ended up in a field, relatively undamaged.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP