Sponsored

I upgraded the rear speakers without adding an amp!

Viscosity6 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang
Like so many people I have been left wanting just a little more from the stock (9 speaker) system so after different issues in the past and reading posts I kinda deduced that the only speakers that are easily replaced are the lower door and rear deck speakers bc the system will make weird noises if you change the ohm rating.
I'm not likely to get an 8ohm or other rated ones for the tweeters, so that leaves me with the 4ohm speakers. I hate the eq and it's center staging eq with has highs in the front and lows in the rear. (Even the 12 speaker rear coaxial aren't good)
I ordered a pair of kicker 6-3/4 w-way speakers from Crutchfield
g206DSC6704-F.jpg

to better balance the eq. And NOW I'm cooking with gas. Everything plopped in place (plop sound not included, must supply own fx) without hissing, whining, or other noises.
20210923_183623.jpg
20210923_173747.jpg

They fit in without modifications, just need to tweak the eq again. after that I think I'll be happy with it for a while.
20210923_181009.jpg

20210923_180822.jpg

Just thought I'd share the info considering Ford did not make it easy. Now on to the other things.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Base is half of the spectrum. Mids and top are where voices and instruments live.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I remember being at a company party. They hired a DJ. He had the mids turned off and was playing AC/DC music. I couldn't hear the guitar. I told him he was an idiot cause AC/DC is a guitar band and I got a blank stare

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Sponsored

Modulom4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pascal
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 PP1, Ford Edge 2008 SEL
Kicker's ....

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Ok, I have to ask. Why replace the rears and not upgrade the speakers in the doors and dash.....after all, they are the ones providing 95% of what gets to your ears.

OP
OP
Viscosity6 5

Viscosity6 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang
Ok, I have to ask. Why replace the rears and not upgrade the speakers in the doors and dash.....after all, they are the ones providing 95% of what gets to your ears.
The 2 way 4ohm speakers for the rear are much easier to find.
I dislike the front staging and isn't balanced(front to back).
The factory Ford system will have noise issues if you change the ohm rating.
Finding the 8ohm replacement front speakers isn't easy(or cheap).
Also, I don't need a whole new system if only a few will do.

bruembry

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Hi All, When I started my audio upgrade, I first replaced the rear speakers on my 2018 9 speaker system with the coaxial units from the 12 speaker system. The Ohm rating for the rear coaxial factory speakers from the 12 speaker system is 2 ohms. With the rear speaker replacement, the system was more balanced front to rear with better imaging

I have since added the subwoofer and replaced the DSP/AMP unit to enable the subwoofer. With the DSP/AMP change, the balance of the speaker system has switched rearward. I have ordered the speakers to replace the door speakers. All speakers in the 12 speaker system rear area and doors are rated for 2 ohms. I have yet to determine the ohm rating of the pillar tweeters and center channel speaker.

I want to check how the system performs after I replace the door speakers.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the best mod is/was to disable the factory EQ using ForScan.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
If you are talking about the 12 speaker B&O system, interestingly, some of us are replacing those very speakers and DSP/Amp that you added to yours. Hard to find great quality speakers with the factory 2-ohms, so that is why we replace the DSP/Amp with something that can power normal 4-ohm speakers.

Hi All, When I started my audio upgrade, I first replaced the rear speakers on my 2018 9 speaker system with the coaxial units from the 12 speaker system. The Ohm rating for the rear coaxial factory speakers from the 12 speaker system is 2 ohms. With the rear speaker replacement, the system was more balanced front to rear with better imaging

I have since added the subwoofer and replaced the DSP/AMP unit to enable the subwoofer. With the DSP/AMP change, the balance of the speaker system has switched rearward. I have ordered the speakers to replace the door speakers. All speakers in the 12 speaker system rear area and doors are rated for 2 ohms. I have yet to determine the ohm rating of the pillar tweeters and center channel speaker.

I want to check how the system performs after I replace the door speakers.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
made my music sound better, but any alarms like key fob left the vehicle or seatbelt are ear piercing loud
Try unplugging the brown connector at the DSP amplifier above the drivers kick panel. Push the START button wait a few minutes, then shut off the car and re-connect that plug. On my car, this set the beeps to a reasonable level.

hunter7389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium M6 401 PP1, Silver
I
Try unplugging the brown connector at the DSP amplifier above the drivers kick panel. Push the START button wait a few minutes, then shut off the car and re-connect that plug. On my car, this set the beeps to a reasonable level.
I'll try that. Thanks!