I tried something new ( perhaps only new to me) with drying

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I live surrounded by construction. Theyre still excavating and building in my neighborhood. Theres a strip mall being built across the street from my hood, theyre widening the roads all over in my area, plus its pollen season. You cant keep a car looking right, right now. So with all the dirt and BS floating around I have to be careful and be super thorough on lubricating the paint for any sort of contact wash, or drying.

I wont bore anyone with the details of the wash process, everyone in here knows what to do, although i'll add a side note: I bought a gallon of the auto zone cash soap, that stuff is absolute crap, does not hold suds AT ALL doesnt foam very good, and in general sucks. That will be relegated to purely use on fender wells and wheels and tires from now on.

Anyway I did a full contact wash, but the last step i used just as an experiment was. I cleaned out my foam gun bottle including an little 90% IPA to remove all soap residue from the bottle. I filled the bottle half full with Mcguiers quick detail, and went to work rinsing the car off. My city water is pretty harsh as far as spotting is concerned ( i havent built a filter system yet but I will) and being in FL even at 1030 yesterday morning the sun intensity is pretty severe. I rinsed the hell out of the car with foam gun full of quick detailer and it all was beading up nicely. I quickly backed the car into the garage and began drying. I personally use 3 or 4 drying towels, and I dont wipe until its down to streaks. I fold the towels in half, and drag dry in straight lines.

Once it was down to random spots and streaks etc. I grabbed 4 or 5 polishing towels and went to work on drying and buffing everything. It came out AWESOME! No streaks, no spots, just shine and slippery paint. I went to work on dressing the tires, rockers, and everything black the way i normally do. Then went back over the car one more time to make sure i didnt have any random stuff on my finish.

I am such a fan of this method ( except if i were going to do something with the paint after the wash, obviously) that I will find a separate bottle for my gun just for this. You can buy 5 gallons of last touch quick detailer for $50. I'd like to try the Adams that states its a drying aid, but 5 gallons of that is $170.

You might be thinking WOW thats a lot of product and what a waste. Well it seems like its a lot particularly if youre buying by the spray bottle it would be stupid expensive, and a waste. Buying it at 5 gals worth, you're using around 6 oz at a time and your coverage is 100% and even, and you're pre lubing the paint and removing and residue (missed dirt, funk, etc) as youre laying it down. I may even consider putting in my pressure washer feed tank instead, and lay it down with a 25 degree nozzle.

I was pressed for time, so I did not get any pictures. I do know by the time i got home yesterday my car is filthy and looks like i drove through a field of sunflowers, so much pollen its insane.
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Interesting method.

I can see this as a way of supercharging the application process of adding a drying aid to your paint. It will also be softening the water as well, much like McKee's N-914 and Optimum No Rinse does.

I actually really like Last Touch, smells really good and is a good all-round product. I use it on the interior from time to time as well, mainly for quick dusting or adding extra gloss to shiny surfaces.

apr223.jpg

Another similar product I would urge you to consider would be P&S Paint Gloss.

IMG_2080.jpg

I have said this before, but these old fashioned "detail sprays" are still absolutely worth having on hand.

OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Interesting method.

I can see this as a way of supercharging the application process of adding a drying aid to your paint. It will also be softening the water as well, much like McKee's N-914 and Optimum No Rinse does.

I actually really like Last Touch, smells really good and is a good all-round product. I use it on the interior from time to time as well, mainly for quick dusting or adding extra gloss to shiny surfaces.

apr223.jpg

Another similar product I would urge you to consider would be P&S Paint Gloss.

IMG_2080.jpg

I have said this before, but these old fashioned "detail sprays" are still absolutely worth having on hand.
I'll check out that paint and gloss.

I was quite pleased, especially because the air and water (essentially) are so dirty, its tough to get it dry via blow drying or contact drying. The cannon method, gives one more bump in protection and came out really good.

One of the primary reasons I'm looking so hard at the last touch is, you can buy 5 gallons for $50 lol Same place has mcguires various car wash 5 gallons at time too.

The clarity and the gloss to your red paint is upsetting please stop LOL

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
Interesting process. I use a (bad name, good product) Master Blaster....then follow up in the garage with a towel and Duragloss Aquawax.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to reduce the number of drying towels.....check this out.
https://luxurymicrofiberstore.com/
I dried entire stang in minutes with this towel. It's like magic. Just spread it out and pull across surface. It absorbs like crazy. I didn't even need to ring it out! It left no trails. I bought the larger size so I can use on our Explorer as well but they have smaller size too.

IMG_5203.jpg

IMG_5204.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
If you want to reduce the number of drying towels.....check this out.
https://luxurymicrofiberstore.com/
I dried entire stang in minutes with this towel. It's like magic. Just spread it out and pull across surface. It absorbs like crazy. I didn't even need to ring it out! It left no trails. I bought the larger size so I can use on our Explorer as well but they have smaller size too.

IMG_5203.jpg

IMG_5204.jpg
Those are nice towels.

The main reason I initially tried this is because everything is so dirty here, with all of the endless construction and ZERO dust control. So it was firstly to lubricate the paint, secondly to help spot free dry, and lastly as a short cut. I figured worst that would happen is the detailing solution would be wasted, but instead it worked great across the board.

BTW your Blue looks awesome!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
<-- We're putting in another plug for that bad name, good product Master Blaster. I still have a whole plastic tub of really good drying towels that only occasionally get used on glass. Copious amounts of warm air is so much better than hand drying and that is especially true in high-humidity areas.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those are nice towels.

The main reason I initially tried this is because everything is so dirty here, with all of the endless construction and ZERO dust control. So it was firstly to lubricate the paint, secondly to help spot free dry, and lastly as a short cut. I figured worst that would happen is the detailing solution would be wasted, but instead it worked great across the board.

BTW your Blue looks awesome!
Thanks! I just washed it on Sunday and the pollen is already covering it 😢
Its hard to keep these stangs clean for more than a minute!

OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
For real... I got back Sunday and it looked like I hadn't washed it in a month.

Sponsored

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With all that pollen and dust, it looks like an ideal situation to use the Original California Car Duster?

https://www.calcarduster.com/
I just received my order the other day for the Cali Car Duster. It needs to sit on newspaper for 48 hours before use. I can't stand the pollen at this time of year!

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know folks swear by those dusters but it makes my OCD cringe. :-)
I let original California Duster sit in newspaper for 72 hours and tried it this morning. It worked great. Pulled all overnight dust off. I ceramic coated the stang a few weeks ago so the duster slid off the surface like it was glass. I was hesitant too as I never owned one before but its better than using a cloth. very happy with the results!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Well, that's good news, Bob but my OCD issue is what will it do on the 25th use? That particulate matter has to go somewhere and I don't think it falls to the ground.

It is probably better than a towel on the first use or two but after that, I dunno. My routine if I can't stand the dust before driving is to use a damp MF with lots of Adam's detailing spray or another comparable lubricant.

Definitely more work than the duster, no question so please, keep us posted over the summer and how well it holds up, meaning, does it eventually put micro scratches on the clear coat?

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
With all that pollen and dust, it looks like an ideal situation to use the Original California Car Duster?

https://www.calcarduster.com/
I love California dusters. My first one lasted me 30 years, on my second now. I use it on all my cars all the time. Doesn't scratch, even when I had my black panther metallic Pontiac G8. I'm surprised I don't hear many other people talk about them here on the forum. I always dust before I do a spray detail, or just dust every day. I use the smaller dash size duster for smaller curved areas where the larger duster can't reach, but I love them and for around $30, you can't beat it. Highly recommend. Just for a little FYI, they have a plastic or wood handle models, I recommend the wood. Much more sturdier.
Sponsored