I thought people HATED Mustangs?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In my experience, non-Ford car guys love to hate on Fords, especially Mustangs in general, but the Mustang almost always gets love from casual car guys or the general public. It's the same thing no matter what circle you're in. I'm a big whisky guy and to other whisky people Jack Daniels gets nothing but hate. However, it's loved by the general public. Reason is, it's the quintessential American whisky and it's easy fodder for people with shallow insults and baseless opinions. Same thing with the Mustang. Literally THE quintessential American pony car, etc etc etc.
I agree with this, average joe loves my car and is the most likely to give compliments. People in the "car scene" generally hate on Mustangs, mostly because they've never driven one and only know the car for the stigma. But I personally don't bother with the car scene anymore, it's so cliquey and overly dramatic, it's almost like re-enrolling in high school. You're only allowed to hang out with people that think like you or drive the same brand or model. As someone that likes almost everything designed for an enthusiast, I find that I'm in the minority. Way too many people wrap their car up into their identity as a person.
Sponsored

Reactions: XS

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I guess KC must be Mustang country cause I get a lot of compliments on how my car looks and sounds. Even had cops giving me the thumbs up. Now, I don't hang out over in Johnson County with the BMW crowd so that might be where all the haters are in my area.

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Eh it happens. I caught shit at a cars and coffee in Denver last year from a group of total strangers. A bunch of little kids ran up to my car yelling "it's a Shelby! Omg a Shelby!" (It's not lol but whatever), then they yelled "rev it up!!", so I gave them a couple braps and next thing I know a group of people standing by their Mopars start yelling, "oh watch out homeboy gonna lose it and kill everybody!", followed by other random quips from them. I just shrugged it off, but I felt bad for the kids who clearly liked the car and by extension just got shit on by a group of "adults". Then this year I was at a night meet and I didn't even know Mexico racing was going on and wouldn't have participated if I did know, and group of people I parked next to loudly said (so I could hear), "yo don't let Mustang bro race tonight, he gonna get shit shut down after hitting the competition anyway". Like... oookaaayyy...
So yeah it happens, the car scene is getting really toxic lately in my opinion. Like I said though before, outside the car scene people love my car so I don't care.

Wow, glad I don't hang out at car shows, sounds like a bunch of clowns.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I miss the "car scene". Almost all of the local regular meets have been shutdown. When there is one, there are few cars that show up... like 6. Just glad to have some car guys to talk to regardless of what they drive. Maybe next year....

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Honestly the only ones I get some hate from are those "Mopar or no car" people. Not much from the ones driving old Dodges.......the ones that drive newer ones (especially Jeeps) that forget they are driving cars owned by Fiat. lol
Haven't had much for the crowd killer bit yet. Funny how they forget Cameros and Challengers do the same thing.

Sponsored

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
I can't believe you'd let someone drive your car. A car is generally the second most expensive thing most people buy, right behind their house. NOBODY drives my car ... except I did let the wife drive it once while I was in the car, since she asked. If I have service done at the dealership, I make them write "no test drive" on the paperwork and stick around to be sure that doesn't happen.

My last pony car was a Camaro SS and once, while it was in service, I went to lunch with the guys and saw my car at the restaurant, When the service guys left, I made a video of them burning the tires and speedshifting on the way out. I played it for the service manager later that day and made him put in a new clutch and new back tires on his dime. I never went back to that dealership and posted the vid online along with a dealer ID.

The manual transmission in my 2019 GT Premium does not have the most reliable reputation and the clutch is a bitch to change by yourself, at home in the garage on jackstands. So, nobody else gets to drive it.

Last edited:

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Iā€™ve seen some of the hate online mostly on YouTube videos of mustang reviews or peopleā€™s mustang channel. Itā€™s so dumb because theyā€™ll say ā€œmustangs are crapā€ but still watch the channel. I think most people are just jealous and most of the hate comes with people driving beat up ricers. The mustang is just the one they pick on because itā€™s the car everyone recognizes. Whether they like it or not itā€™s a car with 55 years of heritage and itā€™s one of the reasons i picked a mustang. How many other models can say theyā€™ve had that success for that many continuous years.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Honestly the only ones I get some hate from are those "Mopar or no car" people. Not much from the ones driving old Dodges.......the ones that drive newer ones (especially Jeeps) that forget they are driving cars owned by Fiat. lol
Haven't had much for the crowd killer bit yet. Funny how they forget Cameros and Challengers do the same thing.
The real funny thing is over the last few years I've seen several cars lose it at Cars and Coffee events. One Miata (he tried to drift it around a roundabout, failed), one Challenger doing a burnout and hit the curb, one Corvette snap oversteering and hitting the curb, and one Subaru that hit the curb.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I only get compliments on my car, and nobody drives it but me. I just know if I let someone else drive it, I would get it back with scratches under the front bumper where they dragged it across a cement parking block! Argh!

Parking-block-nitterhouse.jpg

Last edited:

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The real funny thing is over the last few years I've seen several cars lose it at Cars and Coffee events. One Miata (he tried to drift it around a roundabout, failed), one Challenger doing a burnout and hit the curb, one Corvette snap oversteering and hitting the curb, and one Subaru that hit the curb.

I believe it. 99% of the time its the driver behind the wheel. Either no experience doing what they are attempting or they think things on their car can actually handle it. A lot of times it's young kids too. I remember one guy drove his Corvette off of a highway exit trying to do a good 70 around a turn with drag tires. Yea that of course didn't end well. Did he forget basic science? lol

Reactions: XS

Sponsored
OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Did you hear from that service team after showing the video?

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Just say "my dog had an accident on driver's seat yesterday."

ravenofpoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The reactions you get will be as mixed as the people you meet. I stopped caring what others thought of my car choices awhile ago.
I used to own a 2013 V6 manual mustang base. I bought it a couple years old and payed cash for it. Why not a v8? Because thatā€™s what I could afford without credit. The most common comment I got from other people was is it a v8? Followed by is it at least a manual? Iā€™d smile and laugh for them but in my head Iā€™d be thinking, donā€™t you drive a Kia minivan?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Never had anyone really hate on my car. I grew up a Chevy/GM guy, and my Dad has had a 1969 Corvette and currently owns a 5th Gen Camaro SS. When I bought my GT in Nov. '18 he jokingly called me a traitor but told me he thought it was an awesome car, just "too bad it's a Ford" he'd joke. Anyway, random people on the street, either don't really notice/care or they compliment, never had a negative comment out and about.
Sponsored

Last edited: