I think I need a new APIM, any advice?

Dr. Why

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible. (Purchased used in 2022)

I think I need a new APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module).

Symptoms:

I got a new iPhone for Christmas. Plugged it in and went through all the connection steps to get the head unit to work with the phone using CarPlay. All was well.

Except Sync 3 doesn't seem to remember my iPhone each time I start the car. Not only that, but if I delete other CarPlay phone profiles and Bluetooth phones from Sync 3, the head unit remembers them the next time I start the car up.

Performing a Soft Reset, Master Reset, or even Factory Reset (hold down power and next keys) does not fix the problem. I still have to go through the setup process for my iPhone (which is only 3 taps in succession on the touch screen, every single time I start the car... so annoying!) and the old phone profiles remain engrained in the head unit's memory no matter how many times I delete them.

I also noticed that the compass always points to north now. It doesn't change direction as the car turns.

I tried using CyanLabs Syn3 Updater to do a USB update using the different install modes without success. Instead, I get:

Intallation Failed
Error Code: INSTL_ERR12

From what I've read on a few posts on the internet, this is a hardware problem with the APIM and there is no fix available using Forscan or Syn3 Updater that will work.

I would like to purchase an APIM and install it myself. There are numerous instructional videos on how to do it. It'll save a good deal of money, since it looks like most dealerships will charge $1,300 or more to do it.

I appreciate any advice such as: where do I purchase the APIM? Did I diagnose the problem correctly? Any alternative things I could do?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dr. Why

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have a recommendation on where to attain an APIM?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Does anyone have a recommendation on where to attain an APIM?
Wrecked car?

Ask your dealer how to fix this? I know most will blow you off.

OP
OP

Dr. Why

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hit up the digital dash thread (first post) stickied to the top oft this forum and IM @breeves002 ; he comes HIGHLY recommended for a lot of S550 digital dash or SYNC parts.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I read where you attempted to upgrade the SYNC software and received the code.

Is taking the car to the dealer, deleting and factory-defaulting the SYNC system with a new baseline a possibility? Might work, might not. Could help confirm what the problem is, before spending more $.

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hit up the digital dash thread (first post) stickied to the top oft this forum and IM @breeves002 ; he comes HIGHLY recommended for a lot of S550 digital dash or SYNC parts.
Thanks for the mention.

I sell APIMs on my eBay store (see my insanely good feedback) but message me here if you'd like a discount to pay via PayPal. https://www.ebay.com/usr/breeves002

OP
OP

Dr. Why

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
What’s the difference between sync 3 gen 3 and sync 3 gen 4?

Kriggyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Convertible
Did you ever get your APIM replaced, and if so, did it fix your issue? I'm having the exact same symptoms.

Thanks
Sponsored