Sponsored

I think I castrated my Shelby….and I’m not happy about it

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Agreed that it's a shame the ARH doesn't have valves as that option would be the ultimate.

I settled for the resonator delete along with the AWE controller to keep the valves open in 6th when I want or to close them in any gear and at any throttle input if that's needed as well.
In fairness the ARH mufflers are about as good as they come for bridging the wide range of quiet to scream.

When lurking through the neighborhood at low rpm early or late, the mufflers aren't that much louder than stock quiet mode and they're pretty pedestrian compared to most of the others for low rpm sound level. Then once you get on it, they wake up and scream.

If you're cruising at elevated rpm, they can definitely be tiresome after an extended amount of time. Before I installed the Magnum XL, with the 4.09's and no quiet chambers, it got a little much. Now i have a .50 second overdrive and I cruise at a nice tame 2,000 rpm and 77 mph.
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If you think either of these sounds terrible then we'll just have to disagree and chalk it up to personal taste.

Both of them sound Glorious. The Kooks feature an ultra aggressive growl while the ARH results in a more organized/refined/exotic howl.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Interesting, and nice to have options. Didn’t know that system existed. I have the ATAK and I like it. Do I like it better than stock? Yes, I believe I do. Do I like it better than stock for the money spent? Probably not. Better, but not a good bang for the buck.
I got lucky with the Hooker (doesn't that sound terrible!?!) - they discontinued the exhaust and were selling them extra cheap last spring. I got the non-valved one for 850 bucks shipped. Full 3" 304 stainless and very nicely made. A few lbs lighter than the 2.75" Borla on my scale, too.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
If you think either of these sounds terrible then we'll just have to disagree and chalk it up to personal taste.

Both of them sound Glorious. The Kooks feature an ultra aggressive growl while the ARH results in a more organized/refined/exotic howl.
God yes those both sound tremendous!

Revan9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruan
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Probably because I'm listening in my phone speakers, but the aftermarket exhaust doesn't really sound better than stock. I'd like to hear the looks in person - does it void the power train warranty?

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Probably because I'm listening in my phone speakers, but the aftermarket exhaust doesn't really sound better than stock. I'd like to hear the looks in person - does it void the power train warranty?
The technical answer is no. But the realistic answer is complicated. A stealership can deny a warranty claim for any reason they want, it's just up to the claimant as for as how hard they want to fight through it (up to and including legal suit). So just because you have a strong legal argument doesn't do much for you when you're standing there in the service center and the manager is telling you that they won't honor your power train warranty because you swapped parts.

On a scale of strong to weak, if you're swapping out anything from the cats back, your argument is strong(er) and their argument is weak(er). Once you mess with the cats or the headers (which is generally accepted to involve a re-tune/calibration of the PCM controls) then their argument starts to get stronger.

But at the end of the day, there's been plenty of case law against manufacturers for denying warranty claims on assemblies if the end user happens to swap or replace components, especially if those components aren't effectual to the failure claim. Ford engineers are supposed to write you a technical evaluation as to why your modifications caused or contributed to a failure. They'd have a very difficult time doing that if you just swap an x pipe or mufflers. I guess if it affected the vehicle charging system (the electric motor actuators) they might have a weak association.

In summary, some dealerships are reasonable and don't try to chince out on warranty claims. Some are dumb and incompetent and just deny initially to see if it'll stick. Others are just jerks. I've read warranty claim denials where they observed a fresh/new filter and made the leap that it's because the owner was running an aftermarket intake/tune and therefore they denied coverage. Again, you could fight and win, but it would involve cost and time.

Other stealership service departments don't cough one bit if you have a tune and a blower on the car or all sorts of go fast mods. Just depends on the stealership.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Like music, exhaust tone and note are all personal preference. I'd venture you're definitely in the minority if you think the ARH or Kooks full length setups don't sound as good or better than the OEM setup.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

the first one sounds good in a race sense but would be obnoxious to live with

a lot of stuff that sounds decent at WOT or a rev sounds bad at low-rpm with a load on it etc

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I'd venture you're definitely in the minority if you think the ARH or Kooks full length setups don't sound as good or better than the OEM setup.
You are 100% correct... it is definitely all about personal taste.
I may be in the minority, but I like the OEM exhaust with resonator delete the best.
Ford Performance gave us the Ford Philharmonic 32-Valve Flat Plane Crank Orchestra which provides an exhaust note that is an angry, orchestral cacophony of barely restrained violence...!!!

Regardless of your taste... Ford gave us all such a beautiful platform to start with.

Wildwildwest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Like music, exhaust tone and note are all personal preference. I'd venture you're definitely in the minority if you think the ARH or Kooks full length setups don't sound as good or better than the OEM setup.
Music taste and hearing ability are great points in this discussion. To me both sound better than to OEM minus resonators from a sound character standpoint and both are loud. I think at least one place where personal taste comes in to play is loudness. The majority might like it louder, as most 5.0s and some GT350s I’ve come across seem modified for that purpose. Others, perhaps the minority prioritize sound quality (what I have described as character in my posts), that the sound is quality throughout rev range, and dont believe louder = better. In addition to being louder, most after market and resonator deletes sound less than desirable through the middle rpm range (tiny, sharp, metalic like, however you want to describe it), from a quality standpoint. the ARH was 1st I have heard on video that seemed very smooth through the range. And as with music I have a certain mid range that is very shrieky or harsh that I need to tone out of most audio systems I listen to unless they are very high end. I’m sure there is a cross over in what I’m hearing in the exhaust notes.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
The technical answer is no. But the realistic answer is complicated. A stealership can deny a warranty claim for any reason they want, it's just up to the claimant as for as how hard they want to fight through it (up to and including legal suit). So just because you have a strong legal argument doesn't do much for you when you're standing there in the service center and the manager is telling you that they won't honor your power train warranty because you swapped parts.

On a scale of strong to weak, if you're swapping out anything from the cats back, your argument is strong(er) and their argument is weak(er). Once you mess with the cats or the headers (which is generally accepted to involve a re-tune/calibration of the PCM controls) then their argument starts to get stronger.

But at the end of the day, there's been plenty of case law against manufacturers for denying warranty claims on assemblies if the end user happens to swap or replace components, especially if those components aren't effectual to the failure claim. Ford engineers are supposed to write you a technical evaluation as to why your modifications caused or contributed to a failure. They'd have a very difficult time doing that if you just swap an x pipe or mufflers. I guess if it affected the vehicle charging system (the electric motor actuators) they might have a weak association.

In summary, some dealerships are reasonable and don't try to chince out on warranty claims. Some are dumb and incompetent and just deny initially to see if it'll stick. Others are just jerks. I've read warranty claim denials where they observed a fresh/new filter and made the leap that it's because the owner was running an aftermarket intake/tune and therefore they denied coverage. Again, you could fight and win, but it would involve cost and time.

Other stealership service departments don't cough one bit if you have a tune and a blower on the car or all sorts of go fast mods. Just depends on the stealership.
Angrey’s post above should somehow be stickied and referenced every single time the “will it void my warranty” question comes up, which it frequently does. As a retired new car dealer I can tell you it’s on the money.

The complexity of this issue is exactly why I have yet to remove the carbon filter on my two 2023 Mach 1s. Well, that and the fact that although Tony’s Fords has dyno documented an 18 RWHP gain after carbon filter removal a lot of guys say they can’t feel it. And my two seem to run real strong anyway.
Sponsored